Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done it?   I my husband is thinking of it.  Right now he is 32 and has worked construction - VERY physical jobs.   He feels like his body is just wearing down and wants to get out and do something completely different.

So, I found him something, managing a cafe, (lunch breakfast) place. He bascially will be the chef's right hand man.   I think he would enjoy it because he is very outgoing and love meeting new people.  Also it will give him great experience shall my dream of opening the steak house in 5 years shall ever come true.  Our good friend just bought a breakfast/lunch place and he is loving it.   It was a total career change from him - he was a sports writer.

So, anyone do anything totally opposite of what you have done your entire life?   if so, good experience bad?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm 31, have had the same job since before I graduated college.  Just finished grad school in an entirely different field and when/if I pass my exam this February I will be facing a very similar decision.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Ohhh Construction is hard on the body. I think it would be wise to have a job change especially if you want to enjoy your retirement years pain free. Look at those people who are in their mid to late 40's or older and decide they want to be a lawyer or a doctor. Life is to short to just say what if? Do what you want, while you can, if it is finacially feasable. I worked in a factory for 6 yrs,broke and trained horses for a living then decided to become a vet tech, then due to physical limitations became an office administrator and now I'm a house wife with four fur babies. lol And I'm only 29. I'm seriously thinking of opening my own highend pet store that caters to spoiled pooches.

I say go for it! If you work as a team it will all pan out. :)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Haha, boy can I relate. I worked driving forklift for 16 years. VERY physically demanding and almost a totally male dominated area. My warehouse partner and I were 2 of the very few females that stuck with it for very long. I eventually was just "one of the guys" and to be honest if the factory hadn't closed I'd still be driving.
Did a complete turn around and became a nurse which I love. Really being there for patients has been sooo rewarding. Depending on where I worked it's just as physically tough, blew out my shoulder working with a 600# plus pt so I don't do heavy nursing anymore. But it's more a female oriented world still. Wasn't that an eye opener for me  8O  8O  Not better or worse, just a different environment.
What I guess I've learned from such a big change is that I can learn a whole new profession and if/when the time comes that this doesn't suit me.... I can learn to do something different. I say have hubby give it a try, if this isn't a job that makes him happy, it may lead to, or help him figure out what will. Good Luck :lol:

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well he has the interview for 9-8.  I am really excited that the chef was interesting in interviewing someone with no experience.  He mentioned himself that he dod a 360 himself and totally is open to the idea.   He will have to work weekends 7-5 but will have Mon & Tues off as well as work 11-7pm W-f - so we will not have to hire a dog walker!   He is not a morning person either and right now he gets up at 4am.

So I am PRAYING this goes well and he gets the chance to see if he likes it.

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Aww, Heather....I hope he gets the job, and really enjoys it! Fingers crossed! Heck, thats awesome no dog walker either LOL

Jessica

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Yup, went from working for corprate co in cubicle city to owning my own business..I really did like it...You sometimes have to try something new, way out of the "box" so to speak, a lot of times you find that it works out great....Heather I can understand J's concern about staying in construction....Marq has been setting tile since he was 9(taught by his dad, by his dad)..He is starting to feel some aches and pains and wonders how much longer he will be able to do this...I say go for it :)

·
Banned
7,576 Posts
Yes Heather, my bf is also worried about the toll that the physical work is taking on his body. I wish your hubby the best of luck and happiness. That sounds like a good fit for him.
At the age of 42, I decided that I was tired of doing food service: cooking/waitressing/etc. and went back to school to get my law degree as a paralegal. It was a huge difference, going from a total physical job to a total intellectual one. I enjoy the mental stimulus I get from challenging my brain...although the 10 lbs I gained when I started in an office wasn't the happiest outcome!!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I'm considering the big life altering change too. I was in college for business last year, didn't really like it and quit, working for a year and have my eye on fire fighting for next september. Best of luck to your husband as I know figuring life out is not always easy

G

·
0 Posts
heather it's a great age for your husband to get out of physical labor.  we know a lot of auto mechanics making 6 figures, but they are getting older and omg their bodies are so worn out.  they SHOULD have quit while they were ahead when they were younger.

i hope he likes it and it works out.  what a great way to work into your own restaurant down the road.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
That's so exciting! I hope he gets it :)

I'm in the process of changing careers now! I've worked in Sales and Marketing for the past 10 years and I'm just now beginning a career in IT  8O  :D I'll be project managing (well I have managed before but never in IT) should be interesting for me. I start on Tuesday as it turns out lol..I'll let you know how it goes. :)

·
Banned
21 Posts
"On the experience of my friends. In search of work, I applied to advertisements in newspapers and on the Internet, now there are a lot of platforms openly that offer good vacancies.
A serious minus: it takes time to find a good job, but it's really lucky. One guy searched for a couple of weeks and chose a small optics firm, the other looked for several months ... Anything can happen, but in general lawyers, https://www.becomeopedia.com/lawyer/ are in demand. And their salaries are not at all programmer;) Guys, do you agree?"

1 - 15 of 15 Posts