Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
harley is a 4 month old boxer/lab and she is recently doing a few things that concern me.
1. sometimes when i walk her in the yard to use the restroom she barks, growls and attacks the leash where it is connected to her collar or halter. She only does this on short walks in the yard. She shows perfect behavior when goning to the park or petsmart and longer walks. She really growls a lot and gets what appears to be agressive towards the leash. If I stop walking and tell her "no" she will growl at me but not nip or anything. If I take the leash out of her mouth she wont growl or bite at me at all.
2. She quite often will attack my pants leg and growl and pull on them. I know this is pretty normal puppy behavior, but lately she has been really growling and snapping at me when i tell her "no" about pulling on my pants leg.
3. she feels free to bark and growl quite loudly at me if she wants me to stop with the computer or something and play with her, i have been telling her "no" and ignoring her and it seems to work because she will bark a few more times then lay down next to my stool or chair.

I hope these are all normal behaviors but I am not sure. Thanks for any input you can give me.

chris

·
Registered
39 Posts
man, this is pretty much exactly the same stuff i was going through when Betty was about that age.  What you are doing is good, keep on with the firm "NOs".  I think ages 4months-6months are the hardest time, at least it was for us.  We also found success with making betty sit or do some other command every time before we fed her, before we let her out, before we did anything with her.  It helps establish you as the Alpha.  Good luck!  and trust me, it gets better!!!!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
She is challenging your authority and probably thinks it's a big game.  You need to show her that you are in control and that she isn't suppose to play.  Get her attention and distract her from grabbing the leash as a tug of war game.  The pant leg thing is tough too, I'd try and redirect her energy for playing to a toy or something that is okay for her to bite.  Good luck and hope I'm right lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts