Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OMG we are ready for the doggie park! YAY! Here we come!
Damien is 29.2 lbs and Jasmine is 23.1 lbs ---- both were healthy (lost a few baby teeth... saw an adult tooth in the back on Damien) Overall the vest visit went really well...
Few questions for you all--
-- I've been noticing a lot of eye boogies w/ my guys and yesterday when I asked the vet he checked them out and told me that there is no sign of infection but that they have allergies.  I'm wondering if there is anything I can do for them? Their eyes are constantly runny and they look miserable! Anyone had this happen to their fur baby? Plus it's winter! I know we've had a pretty warm winter but what can I expect in the spring if they are like this in January  :(
-- Jasmine is doing much better w/ not peeing in her crate.  I took the advice of someone on here (sorry I can't remember exactly who) and put her in her crate w/ no bedding / towels / blankets and she has not gone in there at all! BUT we are having some problems on her holding it at other times... she's been peeing on the front stoop (the grass is maybe 2 ft away ---- we live in a townhouse) and also peeing in the foyer when I have her sit so I can put her leash on.  The longest she's been holding it is maybe 4 hours but it's as if she just can't hold it any longer.  What's weird is that she's never done this before...
What signs should I look for that could tell me she has a UTI? I read on another post that male dogs have an odor... anything like this for female's?

Also wanted to ask if there is anyone who lives in the Baltimore area and would like to meet at a park or something? At the vet yesterday there was a full grown Boxer and it was so nice to see them interact with each other.  They are such a playful breed that really only other Boxers understand the 'slap in the face' to mean a sign of friendship lol.  I'm sure I'll run into other Boxers eventually at parks but I was just wondering if anyone on here was close by :)

Beka

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Glad they got good checkups.  Kiah got really bad eye boogers when she was on Canidae, so she was alergic to something in the food.  Here are the symptoms of a UTI that SharonL explained on another post:

"The main signs of a UTI are number one blood in the urine so if after he pees if you will wipe him to make sure there is not blood or a pink discharge...From there needing to go or I should say feeling like they need to go but when they go out they just go a little bit, or move from spot to spot going a little bit, or not able to go at all....of course that is sometimes something males do anyway if they are marking.....Normally the will drink more water then normal...A UTI does not usually affect the stool color...."

·
Registered
893 Posts
I think 4 hours is a long time to wait in between potty breaks. My Delila just turned 5 months and I am taking her out every hour, we still have some accidents but not as many. The accidents that she does have are my fault for not paying attention. Maybe you should put her leash on as soon as she leaves the crate or even while she is still in it, she may be associating the leash with making pp. She might think the leash gives her the ok to pp. Just a thought, as I said we still have accidents. I have a condo in Ocean City, Md. and I go for weeks at a time. how far are you from there? I know it is a few hours but heck a day at the beach? Why not? I am looking for boxers in northeast Pa,as that is where I live. Still no luck. Well let me know and anyone else that lives near there let me know. I will be going there in Feb . for a week or two. Afterwards I am there every month until winter comes again.

Luann

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Kiahsmom.  I asked the vet if their food could be causing the eye boogers and he said no.  I've read on here several times that the food or better yet the reaction they have to their food could influence their coat, eyes and of course stool.  I'm so scared of switching b/c they seem to like their food and I've yet to have any bad reactions regarding their poop.  They're on Purina Pro Plan lg breed formula for puppies...

lulu--- I guess I've been assuming that since Damien is okay w/ holding it that Jasmine can also.  I will try to take them out more often and keep an eye on the color of her pee as well as other symptoms.  We don't live that far from Ocean City and are definetly going to hit the beach as soon as the weather gets warmer! I can't wait to see what they do when they see the ocean! I'd love to hang out and get our pups together! Keep in touch :)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
lulu, IMO 4 hours isn't to long given there age.  Both mine are in there crates for 5 hours before I get home for lunch.  Both were that way from 8 weeks on.  Only had 1 accident in the crate from both of them.  Most sleep while in there crate, and most sleep throughout the night.

G

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I definately don't think 5 hours is too long...My little girl has been able to do 5 hours since she was about 8 weeks old and can last over 8 if there is an emergency...I don't make her often...but it has happened

·
Registered
893 Posts
[quote="JeepKuntry\";p=\"67363":x4q9vlpv]lulu, IMO 4 hours isn't to long given there age.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts