Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

4 year old stiff struggles to get up

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Danxm 
#1 ·
Hello my dog for the last 3 or 4 weeks has been struggling to get up from lying down and reluctant to sit as though her hip or back leg is stopping her. Been to the vets and they don't seem to think anything is wrong as she walks runs normal pretty much a couple of seconds after getting up.. Im concerned it's athirits but she is still so young. Anyone had anything similar or could offer any advice? I have started her on young and active yumove joint supplement nearly 2 weeks ago...

#2 ·
Can you poke and manipulate his joint's without him feeling any discomfort?? And four year's is pretty young but are his rear feet OK?? Especially the top of his right rear foot?? I don't wanna freak you out, so I'm just asking "limited questions." As I have only area of expertise. Welcome Aboard and sorry it's a bumpy road so far. :(

#3 ·
No pain what so ever on feet leg or joints the vet has even checked them im so confused the stiffness is literally just from getting up from lie down position and trying to sit its not all the time and is much worse after a lot of running. I feel like im constantly thinking about it. I may need a second opinion at the vets I think. Thank for your reply

#4 ·
I would have the dogs knees checked. My young male has been having knee issues its now thought he had done some small tears to his knee being an active puppy. He is about a year and a half now. He has been getting physical therapy and I hope we will be able to get him to heal up with conservative treatments. I have started him on Dausuqin MSM chewables and he is getting shockwave therapy for healing as well as laser therapy he is responding, but its important if your dog is having any knee issues to keep them quiet and leash walked no running around.

#5 ·
I had a 4-5 year old male that was a bit overweight. Vet wouldn’t say he was overweight but was. Has a knee tear I put him on diet and dasaquin and he stopped having the issue. Did you get scans done on knees

#11 ·
I have had an x Ray the results shown slight changes on her right hip so the vet said its looking like osteoarthritis she is only 4 so I was shocked but we just have to manage it
Sadly with boxers, especially ones who grew big quickly, have hip issues. I always thought my boy was just stretching to get up because he hauled butt while playing with my Boston. Come to find out, via x-rays for something entirely different, it was discovered his right hip hadn't developed right so he was having issues and arthritis was beginning to set in. Our vet rx'd a twice daily fish oil pill and it really seemed to help. Ask your vet about that?
(My 15mth old female is now stretching all the time as well, I need to have her x-rayed to make sure it's nothing.)

#12 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yes the vet has recommended yumove plus supplement so I am starting her on that. I feel sorry for her as she really wants to go out run and play but the vet has recommended a couple weeks rest to let the anti inflamoritory medicine work. She is still happy and crazy as ever. We will just have to keep it under control. It's such a stressful situation

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.