Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Juniper
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I started taking Juniper on walks about a month ago as it took awhile for her to get all of her vaccinations.
She has improved a bit but she is almost constantly stopping to stare at any person, dog, birds, cats, and sometimes shadows. I was told by a trainer to just let her stop and take her time to become comfortable unless it’s an unsafe situation. The issue I’m having is that she will stop, sit, and stare either at people in their driveway, or coming out of their house and will stay there until they are gone—it’s pretty awkward 😂 Other times she has stopped to sit when dogs are barking at her through their fence. At moments I’m able to get her to come to me by putting a treat by her nose and leading her away, and if I squat/ get to her level she will come to me. But it will be seconds before she stops again.

I’ve never had a dog do this on walks and it can make them very challenging. Is she scared? How can I make sure I’m not feeding into her fear and how can I make her more comfortable? Ultimately I would love for her to ignore other dogs, what should I be doing to work on this with her?

Thank you 🙏

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Just my own personal opinion without seeing it, she doesn't sound scared at all, just curious ( thats a good thing). If she was afraid you would expect more of either barking or trying to get away. Dogs are pretty much fight or flight when they are scared.

Not a fan of a trainer telling you to stop and let her determine how the walk goes. My preference for walks is my guy is next to me and we don't stop until I let him. He had plenty of time to be curious and free roam time to explore as a puppy, but for walks I made the choice that it will be him following me and ignoring any outside stimuli.

She is young though, so it will take awhile to get walking the way you want it,and you shouldn't discourage her from being curious. Its a good trait and the more stuff they are exposed to as a pup will help with being more stable.

If you want your walks to be with you in control, just keep walking, don't let her sniff, stop, lead the walk, because then its her taking you for a walk, not the other way around. lol You can pick out certain areas like a tree or whatever where she can sniff or relieve herself as a reward during the walk, but you decide when and how long, not the dog.

Again, this would be specifically for a walk, don't want you to discourage her curiosity and she should be given plenty of time to explore.

And my guy did the same thing as a pup on my property. lol. He would sit at and stare at anything new. Never did it on walks though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, I am new here too and also have a 5 month old boxer. Did you happen to purchase her in PA? I have the complete opposite where mine is pulling at everything he sees...I did see on a video that if you distract them get their attention with a toy like a pull rope..make you more interesting than what they are looking at? My trainer also suggested for me a new treat he's never had before maybe just for walks? I had a boxer years ago so the puppy stage is all new to me again.

·
Registered
Juniper
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Matt74 I think you’re absolutely right!!! She has been running the show on walks. We just went for a walk today and she was pretty upset that I wouldn’t let her stop wherever she wanted—there was a lot of dragging involved. 🤣 I guess I have my work cut out for me.

·
Registered
Juniper
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Amjj0507! I got her in California! I have been taught in the past that whenever they start pulling to tell them to “wait.” Once you have their attention/ they have stopped pulling, you can say “ok, let’s go.” I do this with my puppy and I have to admit that we have to stop a lot haha. I also try to call her name and reward her often throughout the walk.

This is my first boxer pup and she is pretty stubborn so I’m trying to learn everything I can!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The problem I have with mine is that he sees a dog across the street, in front of us, behind us he just wants to run to them...even when I'm walking with other people he wants to jump on them. I understand he's a pup but it does become very exhausting at times. I have been giving him treats and also calling his name. I think I need to try a new leash for him. Someone had told me about the easy walk which I haven't tried yet...and I'm right there with you I am trying to learn as much as I can. This forum definitely helps to know other people are struggling as well with certain things.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
@Matt74 I think you’re absolutely right!!! She has been running the show on walks. We just went for a walk today and she was pretty upset that I wouldn’t let her stop wherever she wanted—there was a lot of dragging involved. 🤣 I guess I have my work cut out for me.
Lol. Give a puppy an inch and they will take a mile. She will figure out what you want as long as you are consistent. (y)

It definitely is one of my things, good behavior on walks. I see people in my neighborhood being dragged around by their adult dogs and acting insane and I just shake my head.:)

I will say all dogs are different, but it took me a good 3 years to get him exactly where I wanted him on a walk and trust him a 100%. I walk now without a leash and he is in a focused heel. Thats for another discussion, lol, but I guess my point is depending on your goals during a walk, it is definitely a process. Just don't get discouraged and keep consistency.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The problem I have with mine is that he sees a dog across the street, in front of us, behind us he just wants to run to them...even when I'm walking with other people he wants to jump on them. I understand he's a pup but it does become very exhausting at times. I have been giving him treats and also calling his name. I think I need to try a new leash for him. Someone had told me about the easy walk which I haven't tried yet...and I'm right there with you I am trying to learn as much as I can. This forum definitely helps to know other people are struggling as well with certain things.
Your pup sounds more like the typical boxer on a walk. Wants to say hi to everyone and everything, thinks he is the mayor. lol Does he have a favorite toy that he just goes crazy over, like a ball or a tug toy? You can use something like that to your advantage during a walk. Take it with you so his eye contact is on you and not whatever else is going on. You can give it to him as reward throughout the walk for doing what you want. You are basically making yourself more fun than any outside stimuli.

This is a good video that explains the process of how a dog can ignore what is going on and focus on you. This is a much more advanced scenario with a very well trained dog and its talking about a dog park, but the thought process behind it can still apply to a walk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Matt74- that you! He really is a good boy for the most part just struggling with this right now. I have been working with a trainer once a week and she said he's really good. I guess I expect more and forgot what a puppy is all about! I also posted a post on here about 5 month old being playful or aggressive... if you have time to read and maybe point me in the right direction with that too? I am trying my best with this guy. He's going to be huge, he's already 40 lbs and his paws look like they came off of a bear 😂... I appreciate your help

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
That video and the way his dog is, is amazing!
Yeah, Michael Ellis is one of several guys who is really good to follow. And yeah, you always have to remember its a pup, and a boxer pup at that. lol Takes time, especially depending what your goals are.

·
Registered
Juniper
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Matt74 thank you for your help!! :)

Ultimately I would like to be able to take her most places with me without her wigging out, and of course on walks with no issues. I know it’ll take time but with consistency it can be enjoyable for us both!

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Your pup sounds more like the typical boxer on a walk. Wants to say hi to everyone and everything, thinks he is the mayor. lol Does he have a favorite toy that he just goes crazy over, like a ball or a tug toy? You can use something like that to your advantage during a walk. Take it with you so his eye contact is on you and not whatever else is going on. You can give it to him as reward throughout the walk for doing what you want. You are basically making yourself more fun than any outside stimuli.

This is a good video that explains the process of how a dog can ignore what is going on and focus on you. This is a much more advanced scenario with a very well trained dog and its talking about a dog park, but the thought process behind it can still apply to a walk.

I know you said it but seems to be a lot of newbies here?? And I'm just gonna "emphasize," Advanced Techniques! You can't "Proof," what you have not "Trained" just saying. :)

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Hey everyone,
I started taking Juniper on walks about a month ago as it took awhile for her to get all of her vaccinations.
She has improved a bit but she is almost constantly stopping to stare at any person, dog, birds, cats, and sometimes shadows. I was told by a trainer to just let her stop and take her time to become comfortable unless it’s an unsafe situation. The issue I’m having is that she will stop, sit, and stare either at people in their driveway, or coming out of their house and will stay there until they are gone—it’s pretty awkward 😂 Other times she has stopped to sit when dogs are barking at her through their fence. At moments I’m able to get her to come to me by putting a treat by her nose and leading her away, and if I squat/ get to her level she will come to me. But it will be seconds before she stops again.

I’ve never had a dog do this on walks and it can make them very challenging. Is she scared? How can I make sure I’m not feeding into her fear and how can I make her more comfortable? Ultimately I would love for her to ignore other dogs, what should I be doing to work on this with her?

Thank you 🙏
OK ... first I want to say ... there is "Zero Issue with your pup!" She is doing "now, exactly what you are currently training her to do!" And I would go so far as to say ... that once you actually, "Show Her What You Want ... she will be one of the really great one's! :)

I'm gonna guess that your "trainer," is most likely a "Positive Only Trainer," of some form or another??? And I would also ask ... what "Tool," are you using to walk your dog??? And second ... sorry but your "Trainer ... is a Tool!" No Competent, Qualified Trainer that could actually help you with your dog .... would give such advise.

ANd what tool are you using to "Walk Your Dog??" As it should be a "Real Tool," and going from (I suppose) hardest to easiest ... a regular collar and a flat leash or a Slip Lead Leash or a "Properly fitted and used Prong Collar."

My Struddell, a little old lady in a freaking "Walker," could walk her, on a regular Collar and with a flat leash. And she was baby girl so no Yank and Crank was ever done.

The first time I ever used a "Slip Leash Lead," was on a "Rescue Dog," a t my first "Boxers and Buddies Event." They handed me a SLL, and the Dog and said be carefuller he "PULLS!"

I said "OK," ... fitted the leash "Properly," took over and the dog "Tried To Pull." And I did ... "Nothing!" No yank, no crank, nothing. He tried one more time then stopped ... sat down and looked up at me?? I looked down at him and said OK. And off we went :issue free, at crowed event with a a "Boxer," that had a "fear of people issue???"

But under my watch ... he had "zero issues," ... "I handed him off at the end of the day ...." and sure enough, there he goes again??" He yanked that leash "hard and dragged his regular handler in his wake???"

At any rate and it is so long, I posted this "years ago," and I have not reread it in year's. But I think there is a lot here that can help you?? :

And as alway's ask questions. And welcome aboard and oh yeah among Boxer's ... the Girls are "especially pig headed and stubborn ... they are my favorites and now you know. :)

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Hello, I am new here too and also have a 5 month old boxer. Did you happen to purchase her in PA? I have the complete opposite where mine is pulling at everything he sees...I did see on a video that if you distract them get their attention with a toy like a pull rope..make you more interesting than what they are looking at? My trainer also suggested for me a new treat he's never had before maybe just for walks? I had a boxer years ago so the puppy stage is all new to me again.
Crap!!! That sounds like "Zach George, or Victoria Stilwell," kinda crap??? Or being more graceful, perhaps you misunderstood what they were saying??

But ... most likely not??? Pretty much "NO," serious trainer. That could actually help you with your dog ... would recommend using "Treat 's to get them to walk??? That does not happen!

I don't believe in "treat's" as a "Distraction," myself. Depending on what issue you are dealing with?? Using "treats,' could easily get someone hurt! Treat's are best used to "Lure and shape Behaviors!"

And yes I know, that sound's like gibberish?? But you can see for yourself! I'm gonna post a useful technique.

Now it "may be an advanced technique??" But I was able to teach it with my new "regular dog." And she is still something of a PIA (Boxer/Pitt, Bella) ... but "this she knows!" :)

Larry Khron, he is pretty much my favorite cuz while, I am no where near as good as him! It does seem that I actually work a lot like him with dog's with issues ie "Less is more."

So that said ... and with the use of treats ... start training this, "The Heel Flip" :

But so you know ... on "Dog Forums," as a general rule there are not alot of "Pro Trainers!" And I am not one ... but we do have "One Here!" And you know on the "Internet Everybody in an Expert??" :)

At any rate he does not want to "out himself??" And it's not for me to say! But sigh ... with my new rescue Bella a Boxer/Pit mix ... one year old when I got her. I quickly discovered ... that I am more of a "Behaviorist," than I am a "Dog Trainer?" And "Bella," ... had no "Behavioral Issues, uh oh???"
But nonetheless, and with a real world ... not a hand picked primia donna puppy, like all my other dog's. And just using that clip from Larry Khron ... PIA Bella ... was the first dog, I trained to do the "Heel Flip!"

Our Pro ... "looked at the clip," and he felt it was kinda difficult for JQP to do?? And I would say ... "I don't know??" Bella is not a "Rock Star," and I'm not that special, well more less?? But Bella definitely not! And I say "hey if I can do it with that clip, then anybody can??" :)

And just so you know ... with that link. Pretty much every issues you have ... most likely Larry has already addressed! I learned many years ago ... that most of the solutions, I tend to give one of the "Pro's," has already addressed! I just tend to know ... "who they are??" :)

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Don't use an EZ-WALK! It's the last resort of the Lazy!

On one of our neighborhood one time across the street I saw another GSD using a "EZ Walk!" I was across the street and addressed him for a short chat. His dog had that crap on his face! And my dog had uh ... nothing! I walked Rocky (Working Line GSD) with no leash 95% of the time. I would only use a leash on him on occasion to make other people comfortable. And trust me on this ... he did not like people! But he "Trusted ME!"

Anyway ... my observation his Tan and Black ... Wl GSD with that EZ WAlK "crap," on his face ... looked beat down and depressed?? His dog hung his head low and never looked up?? By contrast my Rocky ... just stood quietly behind me, his head help up high and proud. And he just waited for me to finish talking, so we could get going??

That was years ago but I remember the difference. And that aside and pretty much what no what considers for the most part?? Is random "Loose Dog Encounters!" And just so you know ... most "Dog Attack's," occur close to home??

And LOL well while for the most part "I tend to say, I am not an expert??" When it comes to inter Dog Conflict .... well yeah I am! "Rocky and I were Seal Team Six, when it came to that kinda crap!"

Rocky and I were "Pro's," at dealing with that! Seventeen times as I recall?? And the only time he did get nipped was when I over rode him and messed up! And it took another WL GSD ... to get pass me! And that was an EX Drug Detention Dog from Mexico in total darkness!! Midnight moonless walk. I can't see in the dark ... "apparently but Rocky could!"

I have threads on that crap but my point here and going back to an EZ Walk harness and I don't have a clue that "crap can happen JQP?? If you have your average Pet?? And he get's charged by a serious real deal "I'm gonna take chunk out out of that dog," cuz that is what I do, dog!

And you have your dog on a "EZ Walk," what are you gonna do?? Well I would imagine that most people would try and yank there dog out of the way?? And if you do that ... with a EZ Walk Harness there is a very good chance ... that you have just injured your dog's neck! Sometimes "Crap Happens!

Now I would say that most likely ... you never thought about that when considering that choice of tool?? But now you know. :)

You want to use a real tool to train your dog to walk to properly on a loose leash, a regular collar and a flat leash, a SLL or a Prong Collar. And or of course there is also the E-Collar but that one is over my head but if when If I choose to go that route ... I know where to go for info. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Some good info in the post. Like some have said it's tough to say 100% without seeing it.
It doesn't sound like a nerve problem but instead a curios pup.
That being said ideally you don't want him to "set the pace of your walk"
There are a ton of different ways to train a leash walk, here is one.

·
Registered
Juniper
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@chip18 great information, thank you. 😌

And you could be right about the trainer. Maybe I’m partially to blame because I assumed Juni’s behavior was fear...but now I see that I was reading her wrong LOL.

I’ve been using a harness and a flat leash.
After watching that video I might have to make the switch to the SLL.

And oh yes, she’s one of the most stubborn dogs I’ve had, and the first female I’ve had in years. Lesson learned. 😊
A4D78F15-4A47-4FF2-828B-B8DFB3E60B44.jpeg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts