Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so what should be expected saturday when I take tucker down to VA? Any tips for long rides? I have a feeling the car is going to get old real quick, and he will be very bored about an hour out... Any tips on keeping him safely entertained while driving? He has a seat belt and will be placed on the back seat.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
go potty before you go...possibly try to stop and let him walk and go potty again about half way through...and go potty once you get there!! wouldnt want to have pee in the car :( I would also talk to your vet..or maybe sharon can get it for you...of what can be given and what dosage should be given as a mild sedative should he get car sick. I cant remember what we used to tell our clients when i worked at the evet, but it was on OTC med....

·
Registered
112 Posts
We took Cosmo (he was about 13 weeks then) on a trip down to Georgia for Thanksgiving. It was about a 10 hour drive and he was great! Are you going alone? I think it helped that there were two of us in the car and he could sleep on my lap while my fiance drove. In fact, he slept most of the way. I think the trick is to just make sure you stop frequently for him to get out and pee/poop and run around a little. We stopped every 2-3 hrs or so. Also, we made sure to take him on shorter trips a couple of times right before we left so he could get used to the car. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
southerngirls\";p=\"60541 said:
go potty before you go...possibly try to stop and let him walk and go potty again about half way through...and go potty once you get there!! wouldnt want to have pee in the car :( I would also talk to your vet..or maybe sharon can get it for you...of what can be given and what dosage should be given as a mild sedative should he get car sick. I cant remember what we used to tell our clients when i worked at the evet, but it was on OTC med....
Oh thanks! yes I was worried about him getting car sick. He is in the car with me 5 days a week, but that is only a 20 minute drive out to the barn, and back home at night. I also am going to need potty breaks, so I hope they have pet stations at the rest areas. This is not a turnpike drive (ugg...) which means we are on a two lane road basically driving through the middle of a gigantic field for about 4 hours of the trip... it is horrible! I dont even know if there are even that many rest areas to stop at! Looks like we will be fertilizing some fields! lol

Oh yes how I do I get a father that is used to a 14 year old saint of a collie to not get angry at the whining and howling? any advice?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CosmosMommy\";p=\"60542 said:
We took Cosmo (he was about 13 weeks then) on a trip down to Georgia for Thanksgiving. It was about a 10 hour drive and he was great! Are you going alone? I think it helped that there were two of us in the car and he could sleep on my lap while my fiance drove. In fact, he slept most of the way. I think the trick is to just make sure you stop frequently for him to get out and pee/poop and run around a little. We stopped every 2-3 hrs or so. Also, we made sure to take him on shorter trips a couple of times right before we left so he could get used to the car. Hope this helps!
I think we posted at the same time. My father will actually be with me. I did not want to take a 6 hour drive alone with a 12 week old puppy lol in the middle of nowhere. Its just at home I dont reward him for whining, usually he gets ignored. Im worried about rewarding him for whining by placing him on my lap... should that be forgotten on a scary 6 hour car ride to who knows where?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Does he usually whine in the car? It sounds like he is pretty used to it. Not that I'm any expert...but I would probably just ignore it and try to comfort him. When you take him in the car daily, is he in crate? Just curious...cuz Cosmo doesn't go in a crate in the car, he just sits on the front seat. If Tucker likes the car and you give him breaks...he probably won't even notice the extra time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i brought 3 10 week old pups home from SC, 10 hr ride for us! stop often, and take some blankets. we took 3 of the slip on leashes. makes it a heck of alot easier to make a "quick potty" stop. Good luck! You guys will be fine!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. He actually isn't crated while in the car. He has a little seat belt and he generally rides up front in the passenger seat. The only reason I think he is going to whine is because generally, as I said he is up front, but for this trip he will be in the back.

G

·
0 Posts
at about the same age I took jetta on a 10 hour ride...she sat on my lap almost the whole time...only 3 or 4 bathroom breaks...no problems at all

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey all! just wanted to pop in (goodness at 3am!) I wish this whole sleeping problem will get better soon... this is me on a prescribed sleeping aid.

anyway, Just wanted to pop in and brag a little bit! not ONE peep from him the ENTIRE trip!  My father actually to my surprise, rented an expedition which was great! What i ended up doing was loading the unfolded back seat with nice pillow i used to sleep with, and then a nice down mattress cover that I do not use anymore. I also folded down the other 2 seats and placed his crate set up and covered in that area with the door tied in the open position. He would walk in there and sleep for a couple of hours, then we would pull over, let him out to play and run and potty... then back in he went. It was such an adventure for him he just loved every minute of it! Never once had to tell him to get back in the back where he belonged, he just stayed back there.

Oh what a saint! and we made it here great!

so again HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!  :)

(btw sorry im not paying attention to grammar spelling or anything of the like on theses sleeping aids + anxiety meds... )

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Glad you had a good trip and sounds like Tucker had a great set-up too...Who says we don't spoil our babies?  :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts