Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just received a boxer puppy from a friend who could no longer care for her. She never received any vaccinations. I'll be taking her to get the rabies shot today. My question is, should I give her three rounds of the 5 in 1 vaccine once every 3 weeks like a 9 week old puppy, Or just one round and then once every year?

·
Super Moderator
7,011 Posts
Just a single combo vaccine will do at this age. The reason there is a set of 3 is because it’s hard to know when maternal antibodies wear off so vets stagger 3 sets every 3-4 weeks in hopes that 1 set takes. Typically maternal antibodies disappear between 12-20 weeks. Since your puppy is 24 weeks it’s safe to say she no longer has maternal antibodies so a single vaccine is enough.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Just a single combo vaccine will do at this age. The reason there is a set of 3 is because it’s hard to know when maternal antibodies wear off so vets stagger 3 sets every 3-4 weeks in hopes that 1 set takes. Typically maternal antibodies disappear between 12-20 weeks. Since your puppy is 24 weeks it’s safe to say she no longer has maternal antibodies so a single vaccine is enough.
Thanks good to know. And I will ask, how long before the vaccine becomes fully effective??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts