Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... this is not the 6 month pupdate I expected to post.

Our Talos is ill. I know that we had been warned about doggy day care and boarding and dog parks etc... but sadly on rare occasion we don't have a choice. On rare occasion my husband has to go out of town for work and I have to work in the office. Etc...

But he will be 6 months old on Wednesday. He weighed 39.6 pounds while at the vet this morning. But he's got a bad cough... which the vet wouldn't actually call Kennel cough but it makes sense since he recently had to be boarded for 2 days. So it's tussin and antibiotics for our fur baby for at least 10 days. It has not altered his mood though. He's still a bumbling, bouncing, crazy boy. He still wants cuddles, his tater tot (tale) still goes a hundred miles an hour when he sees his people.

Here is what we have learned. His tummy is very sensitive. So he gets his taste of the wild food which he loves and when we are training or looking for a treat he gets some colby jack cheese (it's his favorite).

He still puts EVERYTHING in his mouth and needs to be supervised at all times. Favorite toys are squeeky pig and stoner pig (yes we call it stoner pig because of the expression on its face) and the newest Oh Noooo.. Mr. Bill. Murphy is still his best friend. He goes to his crate with a simple go to bed or it's time for bed command. We really need to work on the no jumping on people. He just gets so excited. But when I come home from work if I say four on the floor he usually stops jumping and wiggles until he about takes my knee caps out or I pet him. Leash tugging is still a problem. We can put food in his dish and tell him to wait, leave the room and come back and he will still be sitting in the same spot waiting to hear the magic "go ahead" words.

As for the photo this was taken yesterday (don't mind me... I'm kind of a mess). But as with any baby who doesn't feel good... he just wanted mom to hold him. We sat like that for a good 15 minutes until I laid the seat back. Then he stretched out on mom and took a nap.

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sorry he doesn't feel well. He has his Mom cuddles which make them feel better always!

Our boys - no matter what age- came back from the kennel with some kind of cough. We usually vacation for a week in the summer and as much as we'd love to take them with us, it has not been possible. We had a great place to board them, they have always been up to date on their shots. They shared an XL in-door/ out-door kennel and they had play 3 times a day outside with other dogs. This is likely where they got more germs.

Last year we were able to have a high school kid down the street come in a few times a day and feed / water / play / hang with our furkids. It worked out well for us all. This year we didn't go since we have our new puppy, and needed to clean out our garage/ junk rooms.

It's hard to come back to a sick baby. The antibiotics, rest and water worked for us. Hopefully your baby will feel better soon.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Sounds like everything is going well except the cough. Hopefully the antibiotics clear that right up.

Have you tried walking him with a slip lead(what Caesar uses)? Worked wonders for Zuke. There is some learning to use it properly though. Positioning on the neck, when to give a correction, etc.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Wow Talos looks wonderful! Sorry he has a cough but that happens and really it will clear up. Sometimes on its own but when my terrier picked up kennel cough at daycare we too had her on antibiotics I think it helped. But it did take time even after she finished. She had her vaccines too but it was just a different strain. The rest is all normal and I'm sure he will be good with the jumping and tugging in time. We walk Kai on a prong collar and he is fine now, he doesn't jump at all. We brought our knee up to his chest from puppyhood and/or occasionally used a shaky can (soda can with 15 pennies and duck taped well so they don't fall out). Talks still only being 6 months has time to go yet, Kai didn't settle till after 2 he knew by 1 but would still need reminders. I just love Talos coloring!

Maybe you can find someone in your neighborhood to help on occasion too. I've actually started doing that in my neighborhood. I watch a neighbors 3 dogs when they need to travel. I go 3-4 times a day let dogs out in yard and sit out there with them, play anode course I feed them and give them fresh water. Works out well for us.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow Talos looks wonderful! Sorry he has a cough but that happens and really it will clear up. Sometimes on its own but when my terrier picked up kennel cough at daycare we too had her on antibiotics I think it helped. But it did take time even after she finished. She had her vaccines too but it was just a different strain. The rest is all normal and I'm sure he will be good with the jumping and tugging in time. We walk Kai on a prong collar and he is fine now, he doesn't jump at all. We brought our knee up to his chest from puppyhood and/or occasionally used a shaky can (soda can with 15 pennies and duck taped well so they don't fall out). Talks still only being 6 months has time to go yet, Kai didn't settle till after 2 he knew by 1 but would still need reminders. I just love Talos coloring!

Maybe you can find someone in your neighborhood to help on occasion too. I've actually started doing that in my neighborhood. I watch a neighbors 3 dogs when they need to travel. I go 3-4 times a day let dogs out in yard and sit out there with them, play anode course I feed them and give them fresh water. Works out well for us.
Thanks! We do help the neighbors and vice versa. But we all have dogs and kids so it's hard to coordinate something for a long period of time. My neighbors had my daughter dog sit for a week while they were away. When she couldn't be there because of work their sister came to take care of them.

He's still full of energy. Cough or not. I got an email from my husband this morning that says he has his toys all over the living room. So I guess he's feeling a little better today.

Thanks for making me feel better about it though. It was something I've never experienced. I literally thought he was dying yesterday morning.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And thanks for the comments on his good looks. I think he's so handsome. I'm always giving him hugs and kisses and telling him that I love his face! lol I've been surprised at how much darker his coat got. It's such a pretty red/brown.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just wanted to say that Talos is doing much better. His cough is gone and he's back to being his normal spunky self!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts