Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ms. Athena will be coming home next week. She will be a few days shy of 7 weeks old. Much earlier than I anticipated but I've already committed my heart :)

Orion was 8 weeks and Roxi was 9. That is what I'm expecting behavior, concerns, issues-wise.

Is there any new concerns that you think I should know about?

I'm concerned about her eating but she's a big girl and definitely is the first eating with momma ;) They are using Purina One which I'm going to transition her over to Earthborn? I think that is what it is called.

I'm just worried I am missing something that I should try to prepare for before she comes next week.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
You should be fine for the most part butttt ... there is a reason "Breeders" keep the puppies till at least 8 weeks and few wait as long as 12!

A Breeder could speak to it more intelligent them myself but "Fear Periods" are coming up! And an owner doing to much to fast to soon?? With a young puppy is likely to stumble into them and freak there puppy out!

Other "unknown" dogs and people in there face ie (Meet and greet 100 people, in 100 days comes to mind.) Don't do that. :)

Now if it is a "Tempermental Sound Puppy???" She would be able to shake crap off??? But if she is not ... she could stuck by a poor encounter??? You really can't take her out and about until the last of her shots anyway . Not around dogs or where dogs have been until fully inoculated, at least twelve weeks.

And for me ..." I don't trust other people and their dogs." So you know I'm not a Dog Park guy. Just let her settle into her new world, for the next two weeks and you'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Yeah I feel your concerns. That is a bit young for her to leave the nest. but she will more than likely be just fine. I've learned its better that they be older and most reputable breeder will hold them to at least 8 weeks. We did get ours at 7 weeks. He was fine and will e 4 years old this Sept. Wow can't believe that. I would jut take him to potty in your own yard where others dogs don't frequent. I would take him out, say to home depot, lowes etc to get socialization but do not let him on the floor. We did that with ours he rode in a cart sitting on a blanket or we held him. Be sure to speak to your vet first because of parvo..be are he is innoculated. A lot depends on the area you live on what the health concerns would really be . Congratulations! Remember we love pictures here and puppy stories.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you everyone. I know this isn't the best breeder at all but our hearts are committed for sure. About 14 years ago, I became a trainer through PetSmart but only did it about a year. 100% was puppy classes. I want to make sure I expose her to enough healthy happy experiences for sure. I have already found a puppy class that I want to take her to by our house. It's the same place we took Roxi 10 years ago <3

My daughter will be home from school here soon and she will have someone full time here all day. Until then, I leave for work around 7:30 and my son gets up for work around 10 a.m. She wouldn't be alone from that point on.

I'm worried about her transition to food. I'm not fond of their choice of food for sure.

On a good note about this breeder. I did meet both mom and dad. Very well maintained house. Clean, dogs were friendly and healthy and playful. Athena's momma had her own room in the house and was just a lover when we met her <3 It's just the whole 7 week thing that bothers me.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Welcome and congrats! Our boys were 8 - 10 weeks old when we got them. It sounds like the good news is that he's eating well.
The main thing that comes to mind to me are chew toys, chew toys, chew toys....we like Amazon for the selection and pricing. Kong has a lot of puppy chew options. (I swear I am not a promoter for either of these).

Let us know how it goes and as Lindar51 said, we love photos!

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Mrs T I'm worried about her transition to food. I'm not fond of their choice of food for sure.
I'd keep the pup on the breeders choice of food for the first few weeks. Then if you want to change do it slowly 25% new first week 50% 2nd week if all going well 75% 3rd week then by the 4th week 100%. Some of our boxers have very sensitive tummies and don't do well with food that is too high in protein, like over 26%. Can't wait to hear more and see pictures.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lindar, thank you very much for your suggestion. We are definitely changing her food. We will do the slow transition over to Earthborn Holistic puppy food. I like the range of adult food that is available.

CynBoxerMom, this little girl has sooooooo many toys already lol We still have all of our Roxi Boxi's toys and she loved her kong red frisbees <3

We will be picking her up this weekend. I'm very excited <3

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Lindar, thank you very much for your suggestion. We are definitely changing her food. We will do the slow transition over to Earthborn Holistic puppy food. I like the range of adult food that is available.

CynBoxerMom, this little girl has sooooooo many toys already lol We still have all of our Roxi Boxi's toys and she loved her kong red frisbees <3

We will be picking her up this weekend. I'm very excited <3
With the toys ... if they are shreadable??? Just make sure she does eat the crap that comes out!! None of my pups ever did, they seemed to derive joy out of scratting the stuffing uh everywhere!!

Our Bandog in particular, luv'd to pluck out the eyes?? But he did not eat them! But we switched to toys with soft eyes ... just in case. Struddell my Boxer Luv'd to desquek toy's?? She would nibble off a finger so the tou=y no longer squeak??? Kinda weird, I suppose but that is what she did. :)

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Oh yeah, our cairn terror is terrible with toys, will pull apart any stuffed toys an given the opportunity will destuff and eat them. She will pull squeezers out too, also given he opportunity will eat them. I had this hard flavored bone mae of some kind of hard rubber, yesterday she got hold of it and ate half of it. She loves toys and whenever I come home from petsmart she won't leave me along jumping and whining in hopes that there will be a new toy. I have to always supervise her with any toy, never had a dog like that before. The other two dogs will just play with them. Kai use to pull surfing out but he doesn't anymore. He has a stuffed toy that he insists on sleeping with, will have to post a picture.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roxi had about 3 red kong frisbees and then two kong balls. They were not the ones that you put treats in, the kind where she could get one tooth in there and hold onto it. lol She didn't have many teeth left at 10 <3 We have all of those and then I went a bought a fuzzy toy with no stuffing. Made for dogs. No squeaker in that one. My mother in law bought her a cute squeaky ball, I'm am not a big fan of squeakers myself lol I will definitely keep an eye on her with the toys. I'm looking forward to taking her toy shopping in a few weeks when she's older.

I'm just sitting here wondering how similar and how different she will be from my first two boxers. I can't wait to see her personality as she gets older.

Lindar, Roxi would only tear the felt off of tennis balls, other than that, she never destroyed a toy. Funny. Now her uncle on the other hand, destroyed all toys except for one raggagty old de-fluffed toy he had for 4 years lol

I would love to see a picture <3

·
Registered
634 Posts
With the toys ... if they are shreadable??? Just make sure she does eat the crap that comes out!! None of my pups ever did, they seemed to derive joy out of scratting the stuffing uh everywhere!!

Our Bandog in particular, luv'd to pluck out the eyes?? But he did not eat them! But we switched to toys with soft eyes ... just in case. Struddell my Boxer Luv'd to desquek toy's?? She would nibble off a finger so the tou=y no longer squeak??? Kinda weird, I suppose but that is what she did. :)
Our boys luckily tear out the stuffing, and sometimes the squeaker and don't eat them. We try to get rid of the toys as soon as they make an opening in them. We know they destroy all soft toys...but they have fun for a while. I've found Kohl's is a good place to get some w/o hard eyes, from their $5 charity toys. Some last a few weeks, some last a few days...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Roxi had about 3 red kong frisbees and then two kong balls. They were not the ones that you put treats in, the kind where she could get one tooth in there and hold onto it. lol She didn't have many teeth left at 10 <3 We have all of those and then I went a bought a fuzzy toy with no stuffing. Made for dogs. No squeaker in that one. My mother in law bought her a cute squeaky ball, I'm am not a big fan of squeakers myself lol I will definitely keep an eye on her with the toys. I'm looking forward to taking her toy shopping in a few weeks when she's older.

I'm just sitting here wondering how similar and how different she will be from my first two boxers. I can't wait to see her personality as she gets older.

Lindar, Roxi would only tear the felt off of tennis balls, other than that, she never destroyed a toy. Funny. Now her uncle on the other hand, destroyed all toys except for one raggagty old de-fluffed toy he had for 4 years lol

I would love to see a picture <3

We are anxious to see her! Sounds like you have things ready.
It's funny with them all being boxers and them having many behavioral traits in common, how different they can each be in their personalities.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts