Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my boxer puppy I got him at 6 weeks and he was always a plump butt up until around 4 months old. He got super tall super fast and I couldn’t get his weight to catch up quick enough. He’s now 7 months as of 8/25/22. And he just weighed in at 30lbs at the vet. He’s eating roughly 4-5 cups of royal canine boxer puppy food mixed with a little soft food to help entice him to eat otherwise he’s really not interested. (Picky on treats as well) But loves to drink and would drink a lake dry if you’d let him.

I can see his ribs for sure. Every one of them. I can see part of his lower back spine. And part of his butt bone near his rectum.
He’s active but not overly active he gets to run about maybe 5-6 hours when I’m home from work.
Vet is currently checking out a hip pain on him, and I requested to see about parasites or other possibilities to his weight. I’ve had boxers before but never had one be so slim so im worried

These probably aren’t the best representation of his body. I can snap some better ones later. It’s almost as if he’s hitting another growth spurt because his abdomen is actually starting to widen to an adult boxer size which is showing his ribs even more. So idk. I’m very concerned.

Dog Plant Carnivore People in nature Working animal

Dog Cloud Dog breed Comfort Carnivore

Gas Engineering Waist Science Belt

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
As long as he is eating and is active? He is fine and dare I say "they all look like that." It will take two to three years before he gets' to his full size. And he looks to be an American Line Boxer, so he will have a tiny waist and a deep chest.

If you weight him say at three month intervals, you will be able to tell he is putting on weight. It's just kinda tough to see with these guy's. He looks just fine to me. Welcome Aboard. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as he is eating and is active? He is fine and dare I say "they all look like that." It will take two to three years before he gets' to his full size. And he looks to be an American Line Boxer, so he will have a tiny waist and a deep chest.

If you weight him say at three month intervals, you will be able to tell he is putting on weight. It's just kinda tough to see with these guy's. He looks just fine to me. Welcome Aboard. :)
I just got him back from the vet. I did express my concern for his size vs age. So they ran a blood test and urinalysis to rule out kidney issues.
They said he’s healthy and it may be he’s just growing too quick.
and he is active, he does prefer a mixed diet of Royal Canin Boxer Puppy food & a wet food mixed in for more moisture. They said just feed him as much as he decides to eat and he’ll turn out fine.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I agree with [email protected] on this one, he does look rather slim to me. He is only 7 months though and they do look slim at this point and thru some of the next year. You should see marked improvement of him filling out over year 2-3. You say he gets 5-6 hours of activity a day, thats a lot, depending on what you mean by activity.
As a guide line a 6-month-old puppy Boxer will require between 30 and 60 minutes of daily physical activity. Too much or too vigorous exercise can be harmful to him because he’s still growing, this can be split into 2 walks and some free off leash time in a safe yard. Also mental stimulation is always a plus and tires them more than physical exercise. He looks healthy and since your vet says he is, I am sure this is likely just part of the growing cycle.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
LOL, 'to much back bone and hip, she looks skinny?.Yeah that sounds like my sister in law. I heard that (from her) when she first saw my Stru. And my take was "thank you for your input ... but she is fine." :)

Nobody want's a "Fat Boxer?" He is American Line, not a Euro? A Euro at the same age will "Dwarf him?" And the "AKC," makes no destination between the two? Much bigger head and a shorter muzzle and they don't have the deep chest and skinny waist?

American Line Boxers, have a shape more like a Greyhound. The Euro Boxers, tend to have a chest to waist, profile closer to a "Pit," if you will forgive the comparison. :)

But my "skinny, bony AL girl," weighed in at 65 lbs when she was full grown! And I was stunned? She was pure muscle and I would have sworn she was about 55 lbs? But muscle weights way more than fat. And any male Boxer I saw regardless of line ... "Dwarfed her!"

My friends had a Euro/American Male Bindle Boxer, short muzzle and wide head but he the same Deep chest and tiny waist as my girl and he made her look small? They said he weighed in at 85 lbs? I guess so but he strikes me as a big freaking Boxer?

Anyway food wise? 4 to 5 cup's of kibble and canned, twice a day? Strikes me as a lot? I'd cut back to two cup's of Kibble and a quarter can of canned food? He's a Boxer, and I would expect if that is not enough? He will either just flip his bowel over or bring it to you to say ... I want more, please! Stru would do that and I would add a handful of plain kibble. If she was really starving? That would be sufficient.

He is not gonna starve? He's a Boxer if he want's more? He will let you know, you can believe that! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have you checked with the breeder? A good breeder is usually a great resource for stuff like this because they will know what's normal for their pups. The visible vertebrae does seem a bit skinny to me, but he is a growing puppy. I would definitely follow veterinary advice, check in with the breeder, and take all Internet opinions with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Aww, well on the "internet," everybody is an expert? Your vet say's your dog looks fine and I agree. Nobody want's a "fat Boxer?" I don't know about Euro's? I have seen them but I have never had one.The Clown Princess Of The World! The AL Boxer is where that came from! And I can guarantee you, that he is not "starving!" If he wan't more, he will flip his food dish over and if that is not enough? He will bring it to you and drop it at your feet! That is what they do!

My current girl "Bella," Boxer/Pit will do the exact same thing thing! It does not happen a lot? But she will do that. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry for the delayed reply. The vet did run a bunch of labs on him. They said he’s perfectly healthy and to just give him time to fill in. They said with the combined heightened metabolism and his energy level. He’s gonna be slim.
He has had a pesky muscle cramp for a few days now. Vet gave some pain meds and he’s been taking it slow and relaxing on a heating pad. He’s now back to being able to get up stairs and zipping around but I’ve drastically cut back his activity level as mentioned on here to most a free roam around the yard for an hour at most

·
Registered
5,841 Posts
Aww well since we are talking how they look and what they "actually" weight. We just took our "Boxer/Pit, Bella" in for shot's and stuff? And she is shorter and a bit wider than my Sturddell who weighted in at 65 lbs. And Bella weights 50.5 lbs? She is "Littleful?"

She is 5 years old now ... so she is as, big/heavy as she is gonna get? I was stunned? So my Stur outweighed Bella by 14.5 lbs?? I never would have guessed that ...

And back on point she is not skinny? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts