Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

7 month old Boy ignoring us

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Wennox 
#1 ·
Our 7 month old Boy, not neutered yet, has lost his manners in the last week or so, and has been ignoring our commands, and ignoring us.
We are looking for ways to demote him while continuing with positive re-inforcement training

He has also been peeing inside again, but I must add, his toilet training has been very slow
We have had a couple of weeks when we thought he was toilet trained, then , no he forgot himself. This seems to be a pattern.

#2 ·
Sounds like your male is just growing up. I would suggest using either treats or a squeak toy in your pocket to get his attention when you want him to acknowledge you . It is important you take him in hand and make sure he listens to you. Have you been doing any obedience training with him? As far as the peeing in the house he should not be doing that at all at this time in his life There is a myth out there that all dogs will hike their legs in the house this is SO not true! I have had 3 males Boxers now and not one of them has done that! This all starts with proper house training as well. Maybe your dog needs to go out more? Maybe some pet approved cleaning products that will eliminate his odor from where he is going and maybe restrict him from that area. Boxers are very stubborn dogs and you do have to re enforce you are the pack leader not by any physical thing but just be in charge at all times.

#3 ·
Hmm sounds like you need to start training from step 1. There is no way he should be peeing inside anymore unless he is not going out often enough. Get a good enzyme cleaner and clean everything to get the urine order out. You may not smell it but he will and he will go back to that area. Then I would restrict him to one room or a crate when he cannot be watched. As you see he is becoming more reliable give him more freedom but under supervision so that if he tarts to pee you can correct him and get him outside. On average he should go our about every 4 hours.
As far as training, this will continue throughout his lifetime. It may not be as often but he will often needs reminders. I would train in small sessions at least 2x daily. It would also be helpful if you go to a trainer and train with others perhaps 1x a week.

#8 ·
Ok well your pup is just being an A-Hole! Most likely you have two start over again? But First I will ask, does he sleep with you in your bed? Does he free roam the house indoors and does he jump on the furniture at will?

All those behaviors can be a problem with the wrong Dog/Puppy. So what is the deal here?

#9 ·
Ok well your pup is just being an A-Hole! Most likely you have two start over again? But First I will ask, does he sleep with you in your bed? Does he free roam the house indoors and does he jump on the furniture at will?

All those behaviors can be a problem with the wrong Dog/Puppy. So what is the deal here?
LOL- all of the above. But we have started restricting his access to most rooms.

#12 ·
LOL well neither can I, PC glitch but I got it this time.

You should read that to get a better understanding of what "resetting," a dog/puppy looks like. But no crate and the verandah? I'm not really liking that? So I have a plan B, for that also! And for the record, my current girl Bella (Pit/Mix) sleeps in the bed with me, free roams the house and hops on the furniture at will. And when we got hrer she had been bounced from home to home for the first year of her life and spent 8 to 12 hours a day in a Crate. I did have to tether her to 24/7 for three day's because we had cat issues to deal with I had 8 or so at the time. And after that it was back to the Crate for uh one night. Bella was good in the Crate of course but I could not handle it, my bad?

So one night of Crate time and I ditched it. The Crate was to much for me. I also kinda sorta encouraged her minor counter surfing for cat food left over's. She'd looked at me for an OK? And I'd say uh nothing. :)

But day to day and indoors she is excellent, zero issues. But in not following the Two Week Shut down. I did create some other issues, that I still deal with to this day. But it's nothing anyone notice unless I pointed it out ... live and learn.

But back on point. Plan B, your gonna need to tether him to you indoors and if you don't have use a Crate? That will need to be for the better part of 24/7, is that doable?

And step two is gonna be "Sit On The Dog." Now technically that would be a separate process that you would work on and build up to.

But I am pretty sure as soon as you put a leash on him and don't go anywhere? All He$$, is gonna break lose? But you gotta deal and SIt on the Dog, works like this.

That is the first step in teaching him how to "Chill the heck out." A calm dog is a good dog.
Now the next step is the big one. And your gonna have to "Train one this one first before you can use it. You use this to train "Calmness, into the Dog. Yes that is a thing.

It looks like this.

And as to the why do this.:

And I will add the Place Cot is nice and it would make trainer a bit easier in the beginning, I would imagine but it's not strictly necessary. You can use a towel or a bath mat. You just want to dog to go to "Place," and stay there. And once he is in Place that's all that is required of him, there is no Sit/Down or Stay. Just "Place," that's it. And a proper "Place," command is Two Hour's. Now I can's say for sure if I have that with "Bella?" Cuz I am kind of impatient my bad, again. Bu5t when we go out I have her Place on boulder's benches and tree stumps and walk away out of site and do a recall. :)

And once you have trained a proper Place Command, you no longer need to have him tethered to you to know where he is. And the point of all this is to calm him down which should stop the inappropriate peeing indoors. :)

And ... I should not say it but I will. On Germanshepardforum a long time. I was helping an owner with "Place," and her dog. All was going well and she reported back that she was using "Place," on an ottoman in doors? Are you kidding me? And she said well it works.

So years later, I have Bella and I teach her place with towels and mats and a Place Cot. And now when I get home from work she does the usual "Boxer, in your face nuttiness? And one day I was tired and had enough of the "maddness," I pointed to the Sofa and said "PLACE!" And boom that was it she hopped up on the sofa, stayed quite and did not move until I was ready to greet her.

Not exactly per protocol (the sofa) but hey it works. So to sum up, Tether, SIt on the Dog and Train the Place Command. Now most likely it will take longer than Two Week's, because you first have to train Place. But you really can't "Correct," your way out of that behaviour?

And I will grant that it a lot of work. But it is most likely the way I would proceed if I was not gonna use a Crate. And most likely I would not use a Crate, because I am pig headed and stubborn. :)

#13 ·
LOL well neither can I, PC glitch but I got it this time.

You should read that to get a better understanding of what "resetting," a dog/puppy looks like. But no crate and the verandah? I'm not really liking that? So I have a plan B, for that also! And for the record, my current girl Bella (Pit/Mix) sleeps in the bed with me, free roams the house and hops on the furniture at will. And when we got hrer she had been bounced from home to home for the first year of her life and spent 8 to 12 hours a day in a Crate. I did have to tether her to 24/7 for three day's because we had cat issues to deal with I had 8 or so at the time. And after that it was back to the Crate for uh one night. Bella was good in the Crate of course but I could not handle it, my bad?

So one night of Crate time and I ditched it. The Crate was to much for me. I also kinda sorta encouraged her minor counter surfing for cat food left over's. She'd looked at me for an OK? And I'd say uh nothing. :)

But day to day and indoors she is excellent, zero issues. But in not following the Two Week Shut down. I did create some other issues, that I still deal with to this day. But it's nothing anyone notice unless I pointed it out ... live and learn.

But back on point. Plan B, your gonna need to tether him to you indoors and if you don't have use a Crate? That will need to be for the better part of 24/7, is that doable?

And step two is gonna be "Sit On The Dog." Now technically that would be a separate process that you would work on and build up to.

But I am pretty sure as soon as you put a leash on him and don't go anywhere? All He$$, is gonna break lose? But you gotta deal and SIt on the Dog, works like this.

That is the first step in teaching him how to "Chill the heck out." A calm dog is a good dog.
Now the next step is the big one. And your gonna have to "Train one this one first before you can use it. You use this to train "Calmness, into the Dog. Yes that is a thing.

It looks like this.

And as to the why do this.:

And I will add the Place Cot is nice and it would make trainer a bit easier in the beginning, I would imagine but it's not strictly necessary. You can use a towel or a bath mat. You just want to dog to go to "Place," and stay there. And once he is in Place that's all that is required of him, there is no Sit/Down or Stay. Just "Place," that's it. And a proper "Place," command is Two Hour's. Now I can's say for sure if I have that with "Bella?" Cuz I am kind of impatient my bad, again. Bu5t when we go out I have her Place on boulder's benches and tree stumps and walk away out of site and do a recall. :)

And once you have trained a proper Place Command, you no longer need to have him tethered to you to know where he is. And the point of all this is to calm him down which should stop the inappropriate peeing indoors. :)

And ... I should not say it but I will. On Germanshepardforum a long time. I was helping an owner with "Place," and her dog. All was going well and she reported back that she was using "Place," on an ottoman in doors? Are you kidding me? And she said well it works.

So years later, I have Bella and I teach her place with towels and mats and a Place Cot. And now when I get home from work she does the usual "Boxer, in your face nuttiness? And one day I was tired and had enough of the "maddness," I pointed to the Sofa and said "PLACE!" And boom that was it she hopped up on the sofa, stayed quite and did not move until I was ready to greet her.

Not exactly per protocol (the sofa) but hey it works. So to sum up, Tether, SIt on the Dog and Train the Place Command. Now most likely it will take longer than Two Week's, because you first have to train Place. But you really can't "Correct," your way out of that behaviour?

And I will grant that it a lot of work. But it is most likely the way I would proceed if I was not gonna use a Crate. And most likely I would not use a Crate, because I am pig headed and stubborn. :)
Thanks Chip.
I have a place word and it works for him.
I like a lot of your suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.