Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone - I am just wondering if this is normal - my male boxer puppy is just over 7 months and is 60 lbs already! Don't you think at this rate he's going to be atleast 80+ lbs by the time he's fully grown? I've had large dogs before (siberian husky) but this is my first boxer - and they weren't done growing until upwards of 1-1/2 years. I have seen reports that the breeder of my puppy claimed that he breeds his dogs large - 80-120lbs. I did not get my puppy directly from the breeder - so I have no idea what size his parents are. I wasn't sure if 60 lbs for 7mos was normal or no? Thanks!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Fredo was 60 AT 7 months. He just turned 8 months and last time I weighed him (a couple weeks ago)he was about 63. I'd say completely normal.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I have seen reports that the breeder of my puppy claimed that he breeds his dogs large - 80-120lbs.
Boxers should not be bred "Large" but to standard and fall in as Medium Size breeds.  With that said many breeders who do not adhere to the standard will produce pups that are larger.   However 60lbs at 7 months is not that bad.   Kash is 8 months and about 23.5 inches and a bit under 60, so I would not worry - sure he will be fine.  Some grow faster and top out, others a slower to grow.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Rotflmao....Sully, that's too funny....On a serious note, Boxers, any dog for that matter grow at all different rates..To compare one Boxer to another just doesn't work, and like Heather said, he may just be a quick developer and about to top out...Boxers generally reach their full height by 18 mos, then they will start to fill out more....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts