Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 7 week old feemale boxer pup.  I live in Seattle and it is the rainy season, whenever i take my pup outside for b room breaks she pees but will not poop!  she starts shaking, crying, and trying to hide under are legs.  We try to get her to run around and every time we move away she follows but cries.  After a while we take her inside and she poops in the house.  Only had her for 2 days?  Is this normal? is she just scared cuz  its new suroundings or is she cold and doesn't like the rain and if so how do i ease the transiton?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
wow wish i could give you some guidance....i can tell you i had a boxer girl that did that as well. Would sit on my feet and not move then after 30 minutes or so of being outside i would take her in and she would go in the house. I can tell you that things got better. But she was very stubborn about the rain. Actually all of my dogs are but i can at least trick them into going out and then closing the door. My Chance has always been super about going right out and going potty. But he is extremely attatched to me and he wants to hurry so he can get back in the house and be up my butt  lol. Good luck and i am sure once your baby is more comfortable she will be fine

·
Registered
16 Posts
when we got Maverick we would do the same thing. Give it a full week and you'll notice a change. I just figured Mav was home sick or something. Good to see a member from the evergreen state.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
My suggestion is to make outside time fun time.  She may be scared of the yard.  If she follows you, then go around the yard acting curious and pointing things out for her to sniff.  Let her see that being outside is not just for potty.  That's what worked for us, but Henry was 12 weeks when we got him.
Also, when she starts to poop in the house, pick her up and carry her outside and say poop outside.  If she is finished by the time you get out, then play a little outside, then go back in.
She's awful little, so it will take some time and patience.  Oh!  And when she does go potty outside, praise like crazy!  Clap your hands and say good potty and act a fool if you have to.  It will help.
Good luck!
Zhanna

·
Registered
278 Posts
My guess is after only two days, she's still adjusting to her new environment.  She is very young at only 7 weeks.  She's still looking for her momma and siblings  :)   Jaxon DOES NOT like the cold or the rain.  He's 17 weeks today and if he feels a rain drop, he high-tails it up to the porch and cries to go in.  He also is afraid of the dark...each has their own quirks!  My advice would to be very gentle with her regarding potty training (not that you're not!).  Try holding an umbrella over her if it's raining...this is the only way Jaxon will go out in the rain..lol

Good luck! Congratulations on your new puppy and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I don't have any suggestions for you regarding getting her use to the rain except as what has been said above, unless you can make a covered area for her to use when she goes out.  I do want to welcome you and your new baby to the Forum.  What is her name and we love to see pictures!!!  Hope you enjoy yourself here as there is a wealth of information available when you run into life's little snags (training, feeding, illness, etc.) with boxer babies.  So congrats on becoming a new boxer parent and again, welcome!!!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to you and your new puppy.   Kiah hates the rain too but is better if we go out under an umbrella.  It did take her a while to not be afraid of the umbrella.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
A lot of boxers just flat out don't like rain, so that's always a struggle..Samson my 10 1/2 yr old, will hold it til he's going to burst before he goes out....Ok, first off, you are dealing with a 7 wk old baby, she misses her family, that's normal. It will take a bit for her to get acclimated to her new place...You need to let her go at her own pace as well...Try not to rush her, but also teach at the same time...When you take her outside, I would keep her on lead as well if you aren't doing so..It's easier for you to keep her focused on what she's out there to do..Then, when she finishes, tons of praise and treats.....It very well could be that the yard is something she may not have any experience with as well, depending on what her surroundings where at the breeders...Keep a towel handy so you can dry her off when you bring her in, that's a good time to bond with her, let her know she did good, etc....Accidents are going to happen, it's a given...She needs to learn what is right and wrong and that does take time...2 days isn't enuf...It takes in average about 6 mos to fully housetrain a boxer to the point that they really can be trusted....Good luck, keep us posted and we want to see her!!!!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Hello & Welcome!  You've been given very good advice!  Lola hated the rain when she was that little too.  I took her outside on a lead and didn't come back in until she went.  When she did go I gave her treats & lots of praise.  Keep the treats in your pocket so you can give them right away.  We used to keep them by the back door so we could grab them on the way out.  They catch on....just takes time.  I know & understand your frustration!  Who wants to stand in the rain for 10 - 15 minutes! ?  Good luck!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Maggie refuses to go outside in the rain... she is also a scaredy cat besides the point...  

I would suggest keeping her out there until she cant hold it anymore!   Especially in seattle, its going to be tough to avoid rain!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Aww...we had SOME of that...I bet it's mostly new surroundings...they are naturally VERY curious and adventurous...she's just needing to feel safe right now...it's hard at first to get the timing right...I know...but, it will all come together eventually...it's possible that if you could find a place to SIT down on the ground(you know, use a mat or something) and let her crawl around on you...she might eventually decide she needs to go poo, too...hard to say...but, she might feel more like you are a safe homebase and she can wander a bit from you(even inches is progress!)  Does she like toys?? You could toss one progressively further from you and see if she'll go after it(may not actually pick it up...but, still...it's a positive experience with being a few feet from your side!

Good luck...time and patience will heal ALL! (Oh, and possibly a small raincoat, although, THAT is an adjustment in itself!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts