Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
I just purchased my first boxer puppy, and I went and visited her today. We have named her Ryleigh. The breeder said I am welcome to take her home at 7 weeks. My initial plan was to take her at 8 weeks.

I was wonderinf if it will make that much of a difference? Does the pup need that extra week to be with the litter? What is your opinion on this?

Thanks for your opinion!

And here is a picture of Ryleigh from today :)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Any responsible breeder wouldnt let you take her till she was 8 weeks... I would wait the extra week if I were you, let the mom teach her a little more about how she is supposed to act and get more socialization with her mom and litter mates

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
In my opinion, I would wait til at least 8 wks...My original plan was not to bring Flick home til 10 wks at least, but as Rhonda is going to ABC, she wanted all the pups homed before she left..they turned 8 wks today....Ryleigh is adorable by the way....Wait the extra week, it's a good idea :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
better to wait if you could. They really benefit and learn things like bite inhabitation from their littermates and momma.

G

·
0 Posts
i think the extra week or so makes a difference.  we got Binga at 6 (didn't know any better at the time) and bear around 8 and a day or two.  I for sure could tell the difference in the way they acted.

she is a cutie btw   :)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Wait the week, so much they can learn by not being alone in a new home.  I got my dogs at 14 and 15 weeks and would do it again in a heartbeat.   They learn crucial things like fear,  socialization;how to play etc from being with their litter mates.  So best IMO to wait, and again IMO I would suggest to the breeder to have all pups go after 8 weeks.  Below is the chart on puppy developement stages in which you can see at what age they learn these things.

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/Develo ... tages.html

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I agree with everyone else, wait as long as she will let you so the puppy can be with mom and the littermates longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wait the week, so much they can learn by not being alone in a new home. *I got my dogs at 14 and 15 weeks and would do it again in a heartbeat. * They learn crucial things like fear, *socialization;how to play etc from being with their litter mates. *So best IMO to wait, and again IMO I would suggest to the breeder to have all pups go after 8 weeks. *Below is the chart on puppy developement stages in which you can see at what age they learn these things.

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/Develo ... tages.html
Looks like that link is dead but here is a great article that touches on the canine developmental stages and especially the socialization milestones that are so super important.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Its the Law in the State I live in its illegal to sell a puppy before 8 weeks old and its the law in several other states as well. Those weeks are important to puppies

1 - 11 of 11 Posts