Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love my boxer. And when it's just me he is great, we play, he's calm, he listens. When my husband is home he is crazy, barks in my husbands face, doesn't listen, barks And jumps on us. My husband tries to ignore him, he keeps going. My husband tries to play fetch and the dog won't play with him! It is driving us crazy! What do we do? We are both so frustrated. He is fed, has water, and this is after I've played fetch with him for over an hour. We aren't taking walks because it is too cold. What do we do?

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
They have a lot of energy at that age.
Mental stimulation is just as draining as physical exertion - start training / teaching some tricks or obedience

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Aww, well ... pretty much par for the course here. :)

Two breeds I luv that I don't tend to recommend are GSD's (a law suit waiting to happen) for the unskilled. And well uh Boxer's! Boxers, well not really a "bite thread for the most part ... but they can be a rather "Hair Pulling Experience" for the unskilled. :)

Sooo that said, the first step is to take a step back and chill. You can't help your dog if your freaked out??

I'm gonna guess, the doggy is not Crate trained, free roams in the home (up on furniture and stuff)and sleeps in the owners bed and does not walk well on leash??? I have no idea but by and large that is what most people do???

My dogs were not crate trained and they did free roam, in the house, they were not crated trained and they did sleep in my bed. Worked out fine ... until it did not!

GSD ... to much freedom, not enough structure, and no limitations and the only dog that I did not "Walk On Leash!" And my GSD was the only dog that sent me to the Er for stitches, breaking up pack fights! Live and learn.

I don't tend to ask a lot of questions for the most part, my bad! But if I did ... I would ask how does your dog on walks??? That is going to be step one!

I got more ... but have a look here.:

Ask questions and welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recommending Training

I agree wholeheartedly with GypsieMouse - your dog (and you) need training.
The training will burn physical and mental energy and that's important for everyone. Boxers have a lot of energy, especially until they turn age three or so.

Training will develop discipline and respect in your dog and start teaching them that there are limits to their behavior.

I would suggest starting immediately by finding a reputable trainer local to you and get into their program. Then start browsing training information and videos on-line. Leerburg has some good training videos and some are free.

Boxers are a magnificent breed. Like all dogs, they require some training and discipline and will make wonderful companions.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
All I can think of is Doggie Daycare. There are some fairly good ones out there. If he could find a Lab, or another Boxer to play hard with you might stay sane. I think they get nuts, and are overtired in the evening. It's a good time to get them used to being crated in the family room if they get too "wild". You can play hide and seek, find the dog treat, and run them up and down stairs if they don't go too nuts with a Laser light.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I love my boxer. And when it's just me he is great, we play, he's calm, he listens. When my husband is home he is crazy, barks in my husbands face, doesn't listen, barks And jumps on us. My husband tries to ignore him, he keeps going. My husband tries to play fetch and the dog won't play with him! It is driving us crazy! What do we do? We are both so frustrated. He is fed, has water, and this is after I've played fetch with him for over an hour. We aren't taking walks because it is too cold. What do we do?
He is still very much a puppy and requires continued training. This is a phase that he is going thru and with continued training he will be fine. Realize boxers are not mature until almost 2 years old. Not saying this is your case but many people get puppies go thru training once or twice and think their dog is trained, not really so dogs continue to need training thru most of their life just not as much later on.I would have your husband work with him some one on one, take him on structured walks and no wild play.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
HMM, I have to ask how cold is cold??? For the dog, Boots and coat "sorry but you "have to walk him!" As Larry explained, walking a dog, is not about "Exercise." You could try and "Exercise" you way out of issues?? I suppose but I"d say "Good Luck with that" many have tried and that approach is usually a "Fail."

Speaking form first hand experience, the only did that uh sent me to the ER for stitches, (breaking up Pack Fights) is the only dog ... "I did not WALK!" Lesson learned.

Thus far, what you described is pretty typical for a Boxer! They Luv DAD or MOM, but this "new/different" person, is pretty cool!

Is your husband actually involved in any training??? Causer it sounds like he is just a drop in guest, no real involvement with the dog ... he's company??? There is nothing "wrong with the dog" this crap ... is pretty much par for the course, it's a Boxer thing. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine is 7 Mos and does the same

I feel your pain , my little guy is 7 going on 8 months and I have had Boxers my whole life and not had this issue before. I fully agree with the above post that you HAVE to walk them. We purchased a puffer coat for him and take him on plowed clean surfaces. If it is really cold out then we will do two or three short walks a day, but they have to get that energy out!

Now that still did not change the barking in my husbands face ( does not do it to me) so we got a bark collar that gives off a high pitched sound. So when he is barking for no reason then we hit the sound and he stops. We actually have only had to hit the sound a few times and now when that collar is on all we have to do is pick up the remote and he will stop the barking . Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Training, training and more training....for you guys first, then the dog. He has a respect issue sounds like and you have to get his attention.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Uh Oh ... looks like a one post and done??? Hopefully, the OP has not fallen into the reason I am "reluctant" to recommend Boxers??? IE ... they can be a pretty hair pulling experience for many owners??? :chair:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Don't you just hate that!!! Wouldn't good manners mandate a response of some kind? It makes belonging to these kinds of groups painful for those of us who are genuine lovers of all things Boxer.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Aww we don't know the back story??? They could have been on "Boxerworld" first and found that to be a big waste of time?? :)

So you know, they weren't really expecting a reply or in anything in the way of answer. It happens. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts