Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi as you all know i just brought my baby home yesterday. last night went fairly well we had to put his crate beside my bed but as soon as i did so he went straight to sleep and slept all night. ... still only one pee pee accident in the house and that was my fault cause i left him alone in a room for a bit. :oops:

anyway my concern is this...

his eyes seem watery.. clear but watery.. he woke up this morning with eye buggers in each corner. i  wiped them away and the eyes were clear.. we went outside and they watered again (clear) and now they are fine.. but every now and then they water.

and when he breaths it sounds loud.. reminds me of snorting but he really isnt snorting... again only sometimes.. he didnt do it in his sleep...

my vet said this was all normal for a boxer... and that harley was breathing loudly because he was in a new home and was trying to check everything out all at once and was just sniffing???

im still worried :cry:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Others would probably know more but sounds pretty normal to me.  Sometimes Oggie breathes so loudly I think something is wrong, but he's always been like that. I also have to wipe away his eye goop like 5 times a day.  Not sure about the watery eyes, to me his eyes always look sorta watery.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
I'm not the most experienced Boxer owner, but I would say it's pretty normal too. I wipe Sadie's eye goop like, 5-6x a day. The breathing heavy, I'm not too sure about...I would say not to worry, he's probably just taking in all of the smells. I'm sure others will have have better comments or ideas.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I also think it sounds pretty normal... Odin does the weird breathing/snorting thing when rough housing with Kyrie. I also have to wipe away "eye goop" multiple times a day... well I don't HAVE to because it's not really in his eyes but at each corner closest to his snout... but I do cuz' he's much more handsome without it! lol

As far as "watery"... not sure what you mean by that. Oh and WAIT TILL he starts SNORING!!! LOL I swear if it's not HUBBY... it's ODIN!! Or, BOTH... lol

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
It sounds normal to me.  He is being exposed to different things in your home and is probably sniffing at everything.  I wouldn't worry unless the discharge in his eyes turns from clear to yellow or green, or he starts coughing or shows other symptoms of being sick.  Good luck with your new one.  As for snoring lol, my Sophie has always out-snored Kane lol.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
If the pup is struggling (like a stuffy nose) when its breathing regularly, I would get it checked for kennel cough, it can sound like they have a cold.  Depending on where the dog came from that would have sig. as well.   Pups can catch something very easy, esp in whelping situations if the area where they were kept was not kept clean.  

Snoring in pups is comming at night, but have not heard of too many when they are awake.  Eye gunk is common with the adjustment to a new environemnt, but like Kate said, do watch out for anything green.  Green is a sign of infection.    Since you just got your pup, do you have to take him to the vet say withing 3 days to make sure he is healthy and gets a clean bill of health?  If so, or even if not, I always when I get a new dog take them to the vet for a complete check up.  The person who sold you the dog may tell you they are fine, but best to have that initial visit when a vet can overlook the dog, test and hear the heart, do a stool sample, so you can catch anything in an early stage before something flares up!!

Good Luck, and hope things are fine.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ditto what Heather said. I would take Harley into your vet just for a wellness check. I have done that with every Boxer that I have brought home, regardless of the circumstances....The eye goobers are pretty common, could be just a bit of allergies, as long as they aren't green, I wouldn't worry too much...Boxers snore, get used to it, some quite loudly actually...Buck used to get pretty loud at times...It's those short noses which does that, but another reason to have your vet check him out is to rule out any infections as well.....

G

·
0 Posts
Jetta has a bit of watery eyes...always clear and the vet said it's normal...and she is a little heavier breather and even snores at night!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well im taking him in tomorrow for a wellness check and he will get a free pup pack with some food and frontline and some other things.

i feel better taking him in.. the eyes are clear but id just feel better

and the snoring dont bug me ... i had a boxer when i was younger so i know alllll about the snoring .. farting...burping..so on.. lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts