Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about getting another boxer, but not for awhile (as in a couple years from now), as Willow is only 6 months old and I think 2 puppies would be too much!

When is the best time to get a 2nd puppy? How old should your first dog be before adding a puppy?

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
When your first dog is trained or mostly trained it's a good time. We got Mongo when Maggie was a year old - we had taken her to puppy school so she had all her basic commands down and she was also house trained by then.

:)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
We didn't get another Boxer until after we fenced in our small yard, and added a pet door off the family room! Even then, the female we added was not a good friend of our older male. They tolerate each other, but things are tense.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I've thought about a 2nd boxer from time to time as Kai belongs to my daughter and when she moves so does he. :( . But as crazy as it sounds he has been so good and pretty easy to train too I can't imagine there being another one like him. So he is it......unless someone says here how would you like this guy. LOL

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I've thought about a 2nd boxer from time to time as Kai belongs to my daughter and when she moves so does he. :( . But as crazy as it sounds he has been so good and pretty easy to train too I can't imagine there being another one like him. So he is it......unless someone says here how would you like this guy. LOL
LOL ... if "easy" to train is an "issue???"

All that "eager to please you crap" will go right out the window! You will have the opportunity to relearn the value of "patience." :crazyeye:

The boys are more like "what can I do to make you happy??" The girls are more like "what can you do to make me happy???"

I'd heard that the girls can be more difficult before I got Struddell?? But I wanted/lash needed a oxer at the time and all the boys were picked so a girl it was! Whatever ... they can't be that different???

OMG ... a hair pulling are you freaking kidding me experiance was to follow!! The same thing over and over again!!! :chair:

Kinda like yeah that looks OK but this (whatever she wanted to do is ... better!) :cry:

But you know I kept at it ... and something I "stumbled unto" was "Hand Signals" for Sit/Stay and Down.

I still remember with my Struddell, repeating the same commands for te umpteethtime ... verbal and hand signals ... I play bow first and then I swear ... I saw the wheels spinning in her little eyes and "Boom" she complied! From that day follow ... she was a "piece of cake!" Struddell was the dog I taught to chase rabbits (off leash in the NV Desert) ata distance with the use of the word "NO!"

I got into a debate with the "Lou Castle" on the Germanshepardforum" over that one! But in as much as I had done it ... I held my ground. :)

Yeah in "Boxer" world ... the girls are different. I have met many "Boxers" and worked with a few (always males and always easy) ... and the only"Boxer" I have ever seen that had a serious ... I will mess you and or your dog up, look ... was a "Female!"

She was safely contained behind a fence "Rocky" and I stopped to talk those neighbors?? They said we have a "Boxer" she's inside. Of course I asked to see her and yeah ... of course she pulled hard on the leash! But when she saw "Rocky" no barking, no lunging ... just a "Cold Hard Stare" and dead silence!! Kinda how "Rocky" OS WL GSD greeted company in the home???

Hmm OK ... so .. not exactly a ringing endorsement for "Female Boxers??" On the other hand my girl was! She actually was the kind of dog people tend to "belive" are in "Dog Parks" a "Balanced Dog" but you know ... if course on my "Stewardship" you'd not find her in a "Dog Park." :)

Hmm Ok ... not exactly a ringing endorsement for "female Boxers??" But I think it shows the challenge that can be involved?? Get it right and you get a "Struddell" get it wrong and you get "that" dog!!

That particular Boxer/Female was too much for those particular owners. But get it right and the females are fantastic!! :clap:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have no problem with you getting a second boxer. It will be a great companion to you and the first boxer. Just ensure:

- That the first is well trained/ socialized before getting a second
-That their age gap isn't so huge. I think you'd have chaos with a senior boxer and puppy interactions.
-That the first does not have problems with following commands as the other may learn from it.
All in all so long as you're ready to take care of both, i wouldn't have any objections. If anything having two of them helps very much with separation anxiety.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts