Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all the talk about doggie day care, I have asked around and found a reputable facility near my work that I would like to take my pups to twice a week. Here is the link:
http://www.roveroaks.com/ExportedSite/T ... elines.htm
I have left a message for the director to call me to get all the details about scheduling an appt. for the temperment testing. I am a bit concerned though. Neither of my dogs have been very socialized with other dogs except with my sister's dogs. I have read that socialization should take place as soon as eight weeks and I didn't get these two until they were 3 mos. and 6 mos. so I am not sure what environment they were brought up in. They are both in training and we are working on exposing them to different things, etc. and I don't worry about Sam as much as I worry about Lucy because Lucy has exhibited signs of aggression towards some dogs in class...My hope is that by getting her into the day care, this will help with her insecurities and help both of them with socialization...Is my train of thought right on this? Help!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Can you take a day off of work and hang out at doggie day care for a little to see how she does?

Dogs (even if they're dog aggressive- I adopted a dog that hated other dogs about 7 years ago) understand the operations of a "pack" and usually the other dogs will keep them in check.

If she's ok with your sister's dogs and her brother- she will get used to the other dogs over time (maybe she doesn't like having her butt sniffed and that's why she was mean to the other dog!  :) )

Good luck! I hope your pups love doggy day care!

(If she doesn't happen to like doggie day care just yet- try taking her to the dog park once a weekend- she'll get acclimated eventually!)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
They should be evaluating them on the first day to see how they interact with other dogs and without you being there.  Only issue with you hanging around and watching is that they are not going to act the same with you being there then when you are not.   So its best to get an honest eval without you there.  Most of them will def. answer any phone call to check in on them and see how they are doing.    Maybe start with a half day - that is what we did.  

Also - see the dog to people ratio.  If its like 20 dogs to every person, Id be a bit freaked.    However enough people to watch and interact with the dogs makes it much better for the dog and less room for any issues.    

I think its a great idea, and its good not only for socialization, but for exercise too.   Good Luck, and def keep us posted!!!!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I would probably socialize your dogs more before putting them in there.  I'd be more worried about a fearful dog provoking an attack on themselves.  I wouldn't leave the decision up to these people, hopefully they are a decent place (it does sound like they have it together)  but the bottom line is they want your money.  $35 sure is steep for a behavior testing!  My daycare did it for free.

Definitely check out behind the scenes of this place before even agreeing to temperant testing.  You want to see where they are kept.  Some places just lock them in cages or kennel them outside for the majority of the day.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I just went over there. It is literally one block from my work! How cool is that? They gave me a tour of the whole facility and it is really nice! They gave me an application to fill out to schedule an appointment for the temperment testing. Heather, they said it is 12 dogs to one person...is this bad??

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Nope 12 is at the top of my limit, I would not go higher than 10-12 that is me.  Also I alway check to see who is there, teenage kids or young adults who have the mega-wicked cool job or someone who is CPR certified, adult and has a history and knowledge of dogs.   I also has what happens in an emergancy?  What Vet do they use, are they insured and what vaccines do they reuqire (not only for your dog, but its good to know what the others are being required to have too).  

Also what is their policy if you cannot get there on time before they close (not like its gonna happen, but good to know, one facility I toured mandatory overnight if you were not there by 6pm, and the one we go it will just take them to their house right around the corner).

Also ask on treats.  Treats can cause some food fights, and not all dogs are good at waiting their turn for treats, so I always try to make sure they dont treat, or hardly at all to avoid the entire food aggression thing.

So those are some of the stuff I look at.   - I am super anal.  ha ha

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I know - I am super anal about my pups too! Great questions to ask...Thanks Heather!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Did Lucy show some aggression when they were in class together?  Maybe she should start out first without Sam there.  There was a female Boxer who'd go after other dogs at the dog park only if her brother was around.  I don't know what the psychology was behind it, but it got to really be a problem for the owner.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was by herself and with Sam so I don't think that is the case, plus she gets along fine with my sis's dogs with or without Sam. I am thinking it is because in Petsmart we work in such a tight space. Maybe she feels threatened somehow and it isn't to all dogs either...not sure...

·
Registered
381 Posts
12 is fairly high but not crazy high.  I have 2 doggy daycare's by me and they are both around 7 dogs to 1 human.  I also highly recommend that when you go to pick up your dog from daycare that you ask to go back and get him, that way you see the conditions that the dog is kept in (clean, too many dogs, etc..).

As far as doing the doggy daycare now or waiting to socialize your dog more first.... unless the daycare place observes issues with your dog during the temperment eval I would highly recommend starting ASAP.  One of the biggest mistakes I see people make is that they wait for the perfect time, then they end up holding off starting for 6 months, a year or possibly never start because things weren't perfect enough.  Your boy is young, he'll be easy to train/socialize.

Share your concerns about your dog's lack of socialization and they should keep an extra eye on him/her the first day (or couple times).  They work with dozens of dogs every day, you're little guy will be just fine.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Nexu! I sent in their applications for the temperment testing so I am waiting for an appointment. They said currently the wait for an appt. is a month and a half! I think I am in the wrong business... :roll:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts