Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.....A new bad habit has popped up with Fiona....When outside and playing, if we walk away from her she will run up and chew at the back of our legs.  Although this is not a good habit and I realize she is still wanting to play.  My five year old daughter is not happy with it and started crying yesterday about the whole ordeal.  

This is my first boxer and it reminds me of what I have seen herading dogs do...border collies, Aust Cattle dogs and such.....

So for all of the boxer moms and dads....Is this a common thing?  

I want to find a way to scold her for doing it, but not to interfere with her learning to play, come, walk and heel, which she is doing great at.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Teaki is the only one of the four boxers we have had who does it.  She LOVES to hide and run up at you and get your ankles from behind.  She also loves to go after Zig's legs...usually from behind which could be part of why he has problems with his back right leg.  She also used to do it to poor Berkeley and just wipe her out....the dogs learned to fight back at her by circling around so she can't get their legs.  She is a bad little ankle bitter...but she isn't trying to really bite hard to hurt you just playing.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it is obvious that Fiona is not trying to bite.  She is just basically putting her mouth on your ankle/back on leg area and mouthing.  The thing is that of course those little baby teeth in her mouth are like needles anyway....It is like she is letting you know she is not done playing or that she wants you to chase her.

I just want to find a good way to stop it without having to feel like I am scolding her FOR playing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
In chile we had horses across the street.  Haylee and I would climb the hill (small mountain)  when we encountered a horse she would herd it.  I thought it was strange but at least she didn't get kicked

·
Registered
780 Posts
We firmly tell Teaki NO or STOP.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Diesel used to do this as well as jumping around and through our legs when we would walk. after being accidentally kicked, and tripped over a billion times a day for a few weeks, he finally stopped.

I'm really glad he got over that one. lol

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay well at least I know it is partly a normal thing....We will work on it with her and see if we can get it stopped without to much of an ordeal on either of our parts.  :?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi!  I have a Welsh Corgi.....which happens to be the ultimate cattle dog, AND when she was a pup ALWAYS nipped my toes and ankles to get me to walk faster.  The breader told me that I'd have to break her of this immediately...ha!  Granted she is 13yrs. old now, so from what I can remember I repeated the words "no bites" and would stop walking immediately when she did that.  I would make her sit, and wait until I thought she was calmer then begin walking again.  I, of course, did LOTS of praising while walking.  She got it pretty quickly.  Maybe try the words no bites when your dog does that.  My boxer, whos 14 weeks old, understood "no bites, kisses only" within the first week of having her.  Good luck......i know that those little puppy teeth can really hurt!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Mia does it all the time!! She seems to only do it with me though and only if you have short on.. If you have pants on she grabs the bottom and pulls on them...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It's definitely a puppy thing, but something that needs to be discouraged, esp with young children around. She could accidently hurt your daughter and it sounds like she's already frightened, so yes you need to divert Fiona's attention to something else...A firm "no" is good, then like Boxerlove said, try to get her to play with a toy to distract her..Generally they grow out of this, but it definitely can be a nuisance until they do..Angel likes to comes up and gum my hands when I'm walking thru the house, I just tap her on the nose and remind her that is not a good thing to be doing

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ginsy stopped doing this when we trained her to "heel"  also making her sit and stay whenever she does this works wonders.  she'll get it pretty quick to behave herself or else sit it out  :wink:  :lol:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Lola used to do this all the time when we'd walk away.  She'd love to bite onto the bottom of your pant leg or shoelaces!  She'd also try to jump up and grab your hand.  She's mostly grown out of it, will still do it once in awhile if she's all wound up or if she's been alone for awhile and wants to play.  I asked the trainer about this and he said it's completely normal puppy behavior.  They eventually outgrow it.  I used to tell Lola "no" and ignore her for a few minutes.  Good luck!  I know those little sharp teeth can hurt if they get a good hold of your ankle!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts