Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I currently have a lab and want to add a boxer to the family.  I have come across a breeder who has a 7 month old female that she said she was planning on using for breeding, but she decided that it did not have all the correct physical features to use for breeding. (I don't mind this at all, I am not looking for a show dog, just a good companion.)

1. Should I be wary of this explanation, or is this something that happens often?

2. With a 7 month old dog, will it be difficult for her to adjust and become part of the family, and will she still be able to be trained very well? (she already is trained with basics, but i want to spend time and have a well-behaved, reliable dog)

I want to spend a lot of time with the pup, but I would like to know if there should be any red flags that I am not aware of that I should look out for. I have read all about "Back Yard Breeders" and this kennel is not exactly that, but is by no means a top flight kennel. This is another concern of mine, but with both parents available and papers in check I feel more comfortable, but would still like some solid advice.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I'm not really one to give advice... but I was told you shouldn't breed a boxer until they are over 2 yrs old at least... I think. Definitely not at 7 months old. There are plenty of people here who can answer your question much better. Including a breeder. I think that she should still be easy to train and to join your family but as long as the family she i with now is treating her right... which it seems like they are.

Anyway... I'm not much help... but by morning I'm sure you'll have several other responses that will assist you much better!

Welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mastray\";p=\"10391 said:
I'm not really one to give advice... but I was told you shouldn't breed a boxer until they are over 2 yrs old at least... I think. Definitely not at 7 months old.
I'm pretty sure jpm wasn't talking about breeding this dog, but rather bringing it into their family.

·
Registered
948 Posts
If the girl comes from a good genetic background and the breeder can give you a lot of information into the parents and grandparents temperaments, that would be a big help. Plus let your dog and your possible new dog meet on neutral territory and see how they hit it off... Never just throw two older dogs together into one dog's territory or he/she may feel the need to defend. Take them for a long walk and bring them home together. Being 7 months or 7 years, she should adjust well. She's still a puppy so I don't see why not. Think of bringing home a dog from the shelter.. Almost the same principle. And some breeders hold their "pick of the litter" back as possible show prospects. She may have an incorrect bite or something on her may lessen her chances of winning and therefore, the breeder wouldn't want to pass those traits on... If this is of any help to you, let me know!  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
We got Angel basically under the same circumstances..She was slated for the ring, but she's just a wee bit pigeon toed, so her "stack" just isn't quite right..So Rhonda was planning on adding her to her breeding program eventually..Sadly, Angel had a prolapsed uterus which was discovered when she had her first season..Rhonda made the decision to find a good home for her and we ended up with her....Her lineage is very good, she would have been a champion, except for her health issues...

Having said that, no I don't think you need to be overly concerned. If the breeder can show you the proper paperwork regarding tests, you should be fine..Are the parents on premises? I always like to see them. It's an indicator what your baby will look like fullgrown.See if she requests that you spay your girl..I would anyways...

As far as meeting your lab, definitely, do it in neutral ground..Is your lab Alpha? Dominant? Watch for that...She is still a puppy(read my post about how big our babies get), so it's actually an easier transition most of the time...Keep in mind, that if she has been basically kenneled, you will need to start from scratch with potty training..That was an issue we had to deal with Angel...

Best of luck and please keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions you need to....Welcome  :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts