Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age is a dog considered an "adult."  And at what age do you drop down to once-a-day feedings?  

Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
according to dog food companies-  1 year
boxers are still puppies until 2-3 years, though they never really "grow up"
i'm not sure about the once a day feedings, it's prolly better to maintain twice a day to help their sensitive tummies

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aquagirl900\";p=\"84764 said:
boxers are still puppies until 2-3 years, though they never really "grow up"
lol!  Exactly why I finally settled on a Boxer.  

Thanks for the response :)

AnnA

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I would feed twice a day regardless of the breed of the dog.  It's just easier for them to get through the day if they have some food.
We feed at 6 am and 6 pm.
Henry is 18 months old now and everybody still calls him a puppy. :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Allie is 3 now and still a puppy (and I'm glad).  We feed her twice a day - 7am and 5pm.  That's been her schedule for a while now and she likes it and knows it.   :lol:   My grandmother has a poodle that is 8 years old and she feeds her twice a day still.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
We feed twice a day for all adults, as well.  It is recommended to prevent bloat that you not feed once per day, as well.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I've also read somewhere that most boxers start throwing up if they have an empty stomach. Even though we always leave the dog food down, my two mainly eat in the morning and at night.

G

·
0 Posts
my dogs unfortunately don't have a schedule with eating..due to that we don't have a schedule...we are third shifters and i go to school as well..so our daily routine varies every day.  they usually eat mid afternoon sometime as well at midnight or one in the morning...if i don't work...or 10:30 pmif I work.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Ringer decided when he was going to change his eating habits.  He slowly started ignoring his breakfast and would only eat dinner.  Now I still set his food out in the am but he rarely eats it.  I will feed him twice at night because I don't like giving him 4 cups at a time but the feedings are usually 30 minutes to an hour and a poop apart.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I feed twice a day and sometimes three times a day on heavy exercise days (same amount just spread out or a little more).   I am not a fan of "one time" due to the fact that I think hunger pukes can arise.  Also I think it may promote bloat since the dog may be hungry and will eat too fast.  

Did three meals a day until 6 months, then did two.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's true - Boxers never 'grow up'. :)
I feed Zoe twice a day, because she has a sensitive tummy and her routine is set. She shall go down and after coming back, she needs her kibbles. Then at night she shall go down and return and have her dinner. :) I tend not to miss out on her afternoon meal, because if she does, she gets severe acidity.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Oops I guess I'm doing it wrong but we still feed 3xs a day for both dogs.  Started it when Donner was a pup and have continued on now that we have Blitzen. It was much easier to regulate potty times around 3 feedings and we've stuck with it. We use the feeding guidelines, (plus a bit more since boxer metabolize so quickly) just spread it out over 3 meals.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Twice a day is much easier on your dog..As far as growth, 18 mos usually is about when they have reached their height, then they start filling out. They are actually not considered adults tho til age 3

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
They aren't considered adults till 3 years old and as far as I know you're not suppose to drop down to once a day feedings. We feed Odin twice a day.

·
Registered
780 Posts
We feed 3 times a day.  We just always have and since we usually had mixed ages from adult to puppy it was just easier to feed everyone 3 times a day.  We feed 6:30am, noon and 5pm.  We try to keep it very close to those times because the dogs are used to it and expect it, if we feed later due to being gone, etc. they don't like it!  :D   We think they are considered puppies until at least 5.....at least that is when ours have usually started to calm down a little and be somewhat like an "adult"! 8O

·
Registered
482 Posts
When we first for Baz we were feeding once a day and he threw up bile (a bright yellow substance) I asked around and I was told that deed chested dogs should eat twice a day because it's too hard on there stomaches becuase they are sensitive.  We had to go back to feeding once a day about a month ago with our jobs being the way they were and we had the bile problem again.  I try to feed him twice a day any time I can!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts