Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been browsing the site and google for information and have really gotten exactly what i needed so I have a few questions I need help with. I will list them from least to greatest.

Recall.. I need some help on how to train recall without another person?

Distractions.. This kinda goes along with recall, I have gotten hailee to do most things that I need her to do like sit, stay. come, lay down.. but she doesnt do them with distractions i.e. when another dog comes over or people come over... and I dont have alot of distractions redily avaliable for her to teach her to listen with them around (if that makes any sense)

Down... she does this well if once again their are no distractions, but completely forgets if someone comes over and thats the biggest problem.. she wont stay off of guests, she leaps and bounds onto them.. help :(

Potty Training... She has done REALLY well lately with this but she still occationally doesnt go outside but waits to poop till she gets inside.. starting to do less and less but still a problem. any suggestions?

and last but not least  Heel.. She doesnt really pull on the leash anymore but she still doesnt understand heel .. when I tell her to I would like her to walk right beside me..

Thank you all in advance for your advise and tips they are all greatly appriciated :)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
For recall, you can try hide-n-seek. I would throw a toy for Donner while using his 50' lead then hide and call him. Blitz and I do the same, only in the house till it warms up a little outside. As far as distractions I'm no help. Donner has always paid attention no matter what and Blitz has very little focus yet :lol: As far as jumping on people who come over... I actually have a sign on my door asking people to not look at, talk to or touch the dogs until they sit and wait to be acknowledged. It takes much less time for them to figure it out than you might think! Keep her on a leash the 1st couple times. As far as potty training we have Donner bell trained and Blitz is still young enough to be a work in progress :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
When I first asked about recall in regards to Angel, I was told to do it in phases..Start off working in the house, when I felt 100% confident inside, move outside on a tie out and lengthen the distance over time..You can do that on your own, I did...As far as distractions, I use hand signals to get mine's attention, by pointing 2 fingers first at them and then at myself saying "watch me"..Use a "sit" while you do this to get Hailee to refocus on you...Practice by taking her out for a walk and you can also teach leash work at the same time...When you start off, as long as Hailee stays by you you keep walking, as soon as she trys to go ahead, come to a complete halt, when she stops, put her in a sit, wait a minute, then start off walking again...Lots of praise as you walk if she stays by you, maybe try carrying a treat bag as well...Lori gave you some great advice about "down", a leash is a great way to keep control. Also maybe keep a bag of treats by the door and when guests come over, tell them to have Hailee "sit" then treat her...As far as the potty issue, I would take her out on lead, make sure she goes before coming back in, or have her wear her lead in the house so you can grab her quick, we did that with Angel for awhile..

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
What helped Kiah was going to classes, it was a structured but there were still distractions with the other dogs around.  I still work with her almost everyday for about 10 minutes though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts