Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i would like to know what y'all think, here is the issue....

Since friday we have noticed a slight issue between Reese and my daughter. Anytime my daughter is standing up, Reese will come up behind her and "box" out her front paws and push on my daughters back and try pushing her to the ground. Well Reese out-weights my daughter (my child is only about 32 lbs and Reese is at 40lbs) so most of the time she ends up knocking her over.  :bs?!?!: At first i thought she was playing, but this is the ONLY thing she does, and it is never from the front-always the back. When we catch Reese trying to do this we tell her "NO" and she will stop, but the minute our back is turned she is doing this. It also isnt just once, she does it over and over. My duaghter at times can barely stand up before Reese gets behind her and does it again. We finally had to kennel her because we couldnt get her to stop!! Reese doesnt do this with myself or my bf, only my child. Ideas on what i can do??  :bshelp:

Also for those of you that have had success in stopping your dog from eating their own poo, please let me know. Reese has moved on from cat poo (covered litter box worked!! YAY!!), to her own. She will poo on our stairs and then eat it  :puke:

·
Registered
405 Posts
I can't help you with the first issue but regarding the poo issue...we tried Forbid powder for a bit, did nothing, moved onto Deter...didn't work until we did the double doses, but it worked from then on. keep using it for several weeks after it starts to work.

BUT not one thing will work for every dog. It depends simply on what tastes bad to your individual dog. Other things I heard about when I was researching were adding meat tenderizer to their food, the all-curative product-pumpkin, and pineapple juice. My vet agreed with all but had never heard about the pineapple juice. I never ended up trying it though bc the Deter worked.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
For the first issue---

It sounds like dominance and play rolled into one, however, I am hesitant to give you a more clear cut answer without more info.  

Teach your daughter that she MUST give Reese a down or off command and enforce it (if my tiny kids can do it yours can too!!!).  Also teach her that when she gets up she must walk away from Reese.  Don't let her just stand there.  

You NEED to keep your eyes peeled for the behavior she is exhibiting prior to this new behavior.  Let me know what you see and I'll give you more precise directions as to how to deal with this...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
948 Posts
I know bunnies eat their own poo be/c they get more nutrients the second time around...  8O

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
RoxyGirl22\";p=\"24473 said:
I heard that if they are eating their own poo they are lacking something nutritionally ?!?!?!
This one falls under the old wives tell on dogs I think......I have not had this problem with Fiona but I did with my lab prior...She ate the cat poop....There was just something about seeing her with dried cat litter on her nose and the look in her eyes as if to say "No I was not in the cat box"  :D   I used Forbid (fed it to the cat) and it worked for me.  It is suppose to make the poop taste bad to them.  Sounds strange to say that....makes the poop TASTE BAD.... :D

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
she does try to walk away, but the minute she is up Reese will jump straight back on her. I actually started teaching Ciara the down command last week with both the girls, Reese is more hard headed though and just wasnt listening. I felt bad for both of them!! i didnt want to kennel reese, but ciara had so many scratches on her and reese just wouldnt leave her alone. When we let her out she was fine for a long time, but then started again. When i get home i will keep a close eye on the two and see what happens.

Oh and an update with Reese's panting....the vet checked her out and she doesnt have any heart issues that were found, but we are keeping an eye on her just in case. Apparently she just takes a little longer to cool down, and is senstive to heat. When she goes and lays down we keep a cool towl in her kennel right now to help and keep a fan on both girls kennels...i even lowered my ac just for a little something extra.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I had to keep a cool towel in Mia's crate cuz it got SOOO hot.. When we moved to the apartment in my parents house and got AC she's much much happier!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have heard that the nutrician issue is ONE reason they may eat it...but when Abby was eatnig it, she was on Canidae, supplemented with veggies, occassionaly fresh meat or tuna and peanut butter filed kongs twice a day. She was neither starving or nutricianally deprived! hahah! I think she started because she was trying to "hide the evidence" before she was fully housebroken. They say once they start, it becomes addictive. The meat tenderizer, other than making it taste bad for them, also helps break down the food so they get more nutrictional value from their food so that, if that is the case, will help resolve it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts