Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I said in my intro, I'm a brand new Boxer mom. He's actually Boxer/Pit mixed, but resembles more of the Boxer side of the family. I've done some research, but I'm still left with a few questions. Is it normal for a Boxer to be very thin? I've read they aren't very "beefy" dogs, but he's quite bony. If not, any suggestions on a good dog food? He's currently on dry Pedigree, since that was what his previous owner had him on. Also, he has the oddest coloring. I know brindle is a common color of both Boxers & Pit's, & I've recently read about reverse brindle, but he's orangish-red & black striped. I think it's gorgeous, just wondering if that's a relatively common coloring? Are Boxers more prone to allergies? He seems to have hot spots on his neck & tail. Just trying to be an informed mom. :) Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
First thing I would do is gradually switch him over to a better dog food. Canidae, Solid Gold, California Natural are all ones I have used in the past and yes they are prone to allergies.. His food could have a lot to do with the hot spots...Has he been to the vet for a check up?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yes, like ChloeBellesMommy mentioned I would also get him on a much better food. Boxers and pitts are known for skin allergies. A lot of times it can be cleared up by changing to a higher quality food.  High allergens in food can be corn, wheat, soy, or the main protein source.
Boxers do tend to be on the thin side. It's perfectly normal to see the last two ribs. As long as you don't see his spine or hip bones he is probably just about right.
From what I can see on his picture he does look like a brindle. If he's mostly fawn with black stripes he would be considered a brindle. Reverse brindles almost appear black. On some you can barely see fawn stripes.
BTW, what is your boys name? He looks real cute with his underbite!  :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can catually see his spine when he's walking around, which is what worries me. I'll definitely get him on a better food. His name is Tyson. I'd thought about changing it, but I figure he's been through enough the last few days, there's no need for more confusion. Besides, it kinda fits him.. :) I can't tell if these are hot spots or bug bites. His previous owner said he might have gotten ahold of a wasp nest a few days ago, so I'm wondering if maybe he was stung. I spoke with a vet tech who told me to give him Benadryl. They're healing up nicely. Thanks so much for your advice & kid words.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I recommend canidae also..  I just switched Jessie back to it... our pet store has Canidae Lamb and Rice mix now... I didnt know that was an option before... She loves it...

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Tyson is a cutie by the way...

And he really does look more like a boxer then a pitt!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I love the toof pic!  :p  I also like the name Tyson...he actually looks like a Tyson.  :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I know what you are going through with the whole being skinny thing. Savannah our 2 yr adoption as of March this year is on the thin side (47lbs) i posted about it and was given the wonderful advice of cottage cheese (THANKS GUYS FOR THAT!!) this has done wonders to add a little weight to my girl. She is already looking just a bit meatier and you can barely see her spine anylonger. I would try switching the food first, if that doesnt work add the cottage cheese. it helped my girl.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
All of us on here that have gotten our boxers either thru rescue or circumstances like yours have had to deal with the issue of weight..If you can see his spine, he definitely needs to fatten up a bit, but it will take time..Add a bit of cottage cheese in his food, and yes I would recomend changing his food, but do it gradually....Also what you might want to do is give him a protein snack during the day of Peanut Butter & low fat plain yogurt..Oh, boy, they love that!!!!

He's a gorgous boxer and I hope you will be very happy with him..There is nothing like having a boxer love you, well except for having 2 boxers!  :lol:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yeah boxers have an athletic look and are kinda slender i guess you can say. I used to feed my boys Pedigree but i changed that and went to Diamond and then when i joined this forum and got opinions on food because of all of the recalls on dog food was going around, I switched to Canidae All Life Stages formula. And they love it. I know i would hate to get into a wasps nest,  :bshelp: . Good luck with him.

Oh yeah and he is gorgeous :D

·
Registered
905 Posts
It could well have been wasp stings that caused his breakout.  Tink got stung last year when she tried to eat a wasp (no-one ever said she was the sharpest tool in the shed!) and she broke out in a massive dose of hives that took about a week to clear.  They weren't bothering her at all, though, not even itchy.  They were just there!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts