Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is in the right spot.....
I have 2 boxers that have grown up together, they are both very dependent on each other.  This has been great up until recently.  My oldest Keno, is starting to have some serious health problems and is just getting to that age(12) where he just is not doing well.  I take very good care of him and try to make him as comfortable as possible, he is my pride and joy.  My wife says I love that dog more than her.(this is probably true but shhhh dont tell her that)
Anyway here is my question, Zu is very dependent on Keno, when I take one anywhere the other has to go, there is alot of seperation anxiety there.  Zu doesnt know life without Keno.  When that fateful day comes, I need to know what the hell to do?  I am gonna be crushed, the wife will be crushed, and most of all Zu will be devastated and confused.  So trying to think ahead I am wondering, should I get a puppy boxer as a kind of fill in for Keno.  I know that sounds callous, but I am just trying to be a realist here.  I have been toying with this Idea for about 6 months but I thought maybe someone on this board has had a simular situation and mayber give some insight of whether that maybe its a good idea or not.
Thanks for reading this far and I appreciate the help,
Rich

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hi - I read your post and I wanted to stop in and give you all my support!
I am a new owner of two Boxer puppies (they are litter mates) so someday in the future I will possibly be in your shoes as well.  I can only think of offering the advice that when that day comes and Keno is up in puppy heaven to give Zu all of your love and affection and just try to be around so that he/she (sorry I can't tell by the name) is not alone.  I think that a new puppy (or even a rescue Boxer that is a little bit older) is not a bad idea.  It will offer Zu companionship and distraction when Keno is gone.  

Beka

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
We went through a similar situation in that we adopted a three month old (Sampson) as a companion for our old girl, Skylar in June 2006. Skylar was an excellent mentor for Sam and he learned very quickly from her. Skylar passed away in September of this year and he was lost without her. We didn't think we were ready just two weeks after she passed but knew that Sam needed another companion so we contacted the local Boxer rescue here. They had a 6 mo. old female and so we adopted her as a companion for Sampson. Although my husband and I were not quite over the loss of our girl, Sampson took to Lucy very fast and they are inseparable now. In retrospect, I am really glad we got Sam when we did so Skylar could show him the ropes - the downside we now realize is that although Skylar was his companion, Sam did not quite get all the fun and rough playtime he now shares with a pup closer to his age.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
welcome to the forum...and im sorry to hear that Keno isnt doing so well..its so hard when they get older...but you are like me..think ahead in a real sense..i thnk about this alot as mine are both rescues and the same age...but one is a white boxer and one is a blk lab ( shh he thinks hes a boxer)..

they are inseperable same as yours..if one goes they both go...if one lays on your lap they both do haha..

if it were me...in your situation..i think i would get another....that new one will be able to be taught etc by Keno and youll see similar behavior id bet...

glad you joined :D

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I think I would look at a rescue, maybe 2 to 3 years old so it will be more settled than a puppy.  I believe you said Zu is 10 years old so having a dog a bit older and not quite as rambuntious as a puppy would be better.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Yeah, Barb, I tend to agree with you there. Sam was pretty wild at 3 mos. and I always worried that he might hurt her. He would run full speed across the yard and body slam her and I would just cringe. She was a tough old pup and he didn't ever hurt her but I still worried. Two to three might be a better choice for Zu.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zu still acts like a puppy, I worry for Keno.  He is such a good boy and so patient with her.  I feel bad, our walks are reduced to 1x around the block.  Thats about as far as Keno can go.  I make up for it tho I let Zu chase the rabbits around the vacant lot behind our house.  Keno and I just sit on the driveway and watch her go nuts.  She cant catch em but it is quite amusing for Keno, Zu, and I.
I think Zu can handle any dog we throw at her.
I am however, looking at adopting a rescued dog.  I think that would help us out and also the poor dog that needs to be adopted.  
Anyone know of a good Boxer rescue in the Dallas area?
-Rich

G

·
0 Posts
My Uncle had a German Shepard and a Mixed Lab, and when the German Shepard passed, the Lab was not the same and did not act as playful as it once did.  A year or so later they bought another German Shepard puppy and the Lab loved it and was rejuvanated.  The lab was probably around 7 or 8 years old when they introduced the new puppy.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
[quote="1boxer\";p=\"60012":210pqwzh]Zu still acts like a puppy, I worry for Keno.

·
Registered
780 Posts
We went through that two years ago.  We had two boxers (Calli about 7 and Berkeley about 1) they got along great, never any problems with them.  When Calli was just over 9 we were concerned about Berk being alone if something happened to Calli so we got a puppy (Teaki) so Calli could show her the ropes and she would be there for Berk when Calli died.  

Calli ended up blessing us with another 6 years after we got Teaki so we had three boxers for 6 years.  Teaki was very dependent on the other two...she had never been alone so when Calli died the other two were both lost and really stuck to each other.  Calli died in January and we lost Berk in April of the same year.  Teaki freaked out and didn't know what to do.  She saw them both die and us bury them.  She would just sit at the window and look out at where we burried them like they were going to come back soon.  It was so sad.  We got a new puppy two days after Berk died.  Teaki just cried and got so upset when she was alone, it took her awhile to get used to the puppy but now two about two years later they are good buddies.  Here they are, Zig is about 2 months here.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
As my Samson is about to turn 11, I am also facing this problem. Angel just turned 2, very high energy and altho there is a huge age difference, Angel would be lost if something were to happen to Samson, so we have decided to go ahead and get another puppy now. First because Angel needs a playmate that can keep up with her and secondly to help the grieving process, god forbid when the time comes....

I don't think it's callous at all. After talking with Angel's breeder, she fully understood the reasons, so we are anxiously awaiting the arrival(hopefully Christmas day) of a new puppy...

Our exercise is also greatly curtailed sinply cos Samson cannot keep up, so we take one leisurely stroll around the park and go home....Breaks my heart to watch the decline and just wish there was something I could do.....Hugs to both of yours, I feel your pain and frustration

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I definitely don't have much advice.  If you can handle 3 and you guys decide you want to continue with pets, then I say buy or rescue one.  You just gotta think long term commitment!  Charlie will be 2 in March, and Sadie will be one in March.  Sometimes I think Charlie wouldn't mind Sadie not being there, he's alot calmer but at the same time she's still a pup.  When I was taking Charlie to the vets by himself, Sadie would go crazy!  Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know this is an old thread but I'm gonna dig it back up.  
An update on Keno, my boy is getting worse, his balance is shot, he cant stand for very long, he kinda hunkers down when he is standing.  When he does stand tall his front left leg just starts sliding out from under him.  He has arthritis in his neck so he doesnt hold his head up anymore.  I give him some pain meds to alleviate this.  This is a tough dog, I wish he would complain more so I would know what to do for him.  His mind is still active but his body just doesnt cooperate.
Its strange this has all just came on so quickly.  Just this summer it was not uncommon to go for a mile long walk with no problems.  And now I am lucky if he makes it out of the house before falling down.  His degeneration is going so fast.  I am not ready to lose him yet.  
I have heard that the dog will tell you when it's time.  I think Keno is hinting.  I cant stand to see my boy in pain, but I dont know what I am going to do without him.  12 years is a long time, and I am thankful for every minute of it, but hell this hurts.  I dont want him to suffer, but if he has some good times still left in him I dont want to miss out on that either.
Anyone got any advice?
I will stop rambling now, thanks for reading if you got this far.
-Rich

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
no advice as we just got our first puppy, but reading this puts things in light how short of a time we have with her, I hope your boy feels strong enough to stick around a while longer so you all can enjoy each other....

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
So sorry to hear that Keno is declining; it is such a hard decision to decide what to do for our babies.  What does your vet say?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I am so sorry that Keno is getting worse. I honestly dont have advice for you, but want you to know that we are all here for you, most of us have gone throug a loss before and it is a very crushing blow....even if we knew it would happen. Did you ever get that rescue??

G

·
0 Posts
You're post nearly made me cry...I couldn't imagine losing either of my babies...and I've only had them for a few months....

From what you have said, it sounds like it may be about time to say goodbye...he is no longer to get around, he's in pain and he can't continue to keep up with everyone.  We had a boston terrier when I was a kid.  She began to have seizures and decline rapidly at 10 years old.  My mom gave my sister the decision on what to do (my 12 year old sister was the one most bonded to the dog) and she decided that Lucky's quality of life was no longer what it should be, and they put her to sleep.  it was a hard decision, but you have to weigh the dog's quality of life vs. your desire to keep him with you.  In the end, only you can know when it's time.  I am so sorry you are going through this.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Rich - I am so sorry to hear about Keno. 12 yrs. is an incredible life for a boxer. There are a lot of decisions we have to make in life and I swear I rank this one right up there at the top of my list. For me, my defining factor was their quality of life. If I felt like their quality of life had diminished immensely, I felt it was time. I had to put my girl Skylar down last September and not only did her facial expression tell me it was time but she would hang her head down. It is never easy to lose the ones we love but you don't want him to be in pain either. Good luck with your decision and just know that you have given him a wonderful 12 yrs.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear this...Poor Keno is fighting the best he can and Boxers have such a high threshold of pain as well...Yes, I do believe our babies will tell us when it's time and will trust us to do the right thing for them...This is so tough on all of you..I'm watching my Samson start to decline as well so I have an idea of what you are going thru right now...Best advice, thoughts I can give you, cherish each and every moment you have with Keno, remember all the wonderful times you have had and when he asks, let him go....My heart is breaking right now for you..I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
southerngirls\";p=\"91728 said:
Did you ever get that rescue??
First of all, thanks for the kind words.  I havent taken him to the vet since Oct., I am kinda scared I guess.  He has declined so much since then.  He's like a person, where he has his good days and bad days.  The only thing is his good days are not coming as much as the bad.  I have an appt. over spring break to take him in.  
I have started a application probably no less than 5 times, I just dont feel right trying to replace the boy before he is gone.  It's just something me and the wife need to decide on pretty soon.  God I hate this, and I am sorry for bumming people out.
-Rich

1 - 20 of 50 Posts