Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decieded not to take the puppy, but NOT because of the in laws. I have been dealing with the fact that my husband wants me to re home Gisselle because of how she acts with him and the baby, I even went so far as to put an add up for her :(  But I have taken that down. We talked more about it last nite an he has agreed to give her more time. We are going to take her to a trainer not a petsmart trainer(although I have no issues with them we went trough obedience with our pit there) but a trainer that has delt with issues like this so hopefully this will help her.So I don't think brining a new puppy woul be fair. I should of talked about this earlier on here but I guess I was afraid some people wouldn't understand why my husband wants to re home here and this is pretty upesting to me as it is. Please keep your fingures crossed!
Jessica

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
So sorry that its not going well with Gisselle; I hope that you find a good trainer and are able to resolve the issues.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Gisselle.  I hope things get better for you guys and you are able to keep her.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I hope you find a great trainer that can help you and Gisselle get through some of the issues you are having with her. Good Luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that you are having some issues with Gisselle, hoping you can find a good trainer/behaviorist that will be able to help you

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do I look for in finding a trainer that can help? The one I thought could help just called me back and we talked for a bit, it sounds like all shes going to do is basic obedience i don't think that is my issue.
Jessica

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She shakes when she is around my husband and 15 month old. She runs away from my husband and baby, she will growl at them and she has snapped at my daughter. I am afraid she will bite one of them.
Jessica

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problems your having. I'd assume you need to talk to a behavorist as oppose to a trainer. Hopefully you live some where with behavorists. I grew up in such a small town... two vets... no trainers or behavorists... no emergency vets... anything!

Good luck!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chloesmom\";p=\"25116 said:
oh poor girl, she was a rescue right? i would search for a behaviorist (sp?) not just a traditional trainer. maybe liz can give you some insight on this.

Yes, she was a rescue and at first she liked my daughter even shared her bed but after I got her spayed(not saying this is the reason) and Elyse starteled her she doesn't care for her anymore. As far as the hubby goes she hasn't cared for him since day one and he does offer her treats and will sit on the floor and talk softly to her but she has nothing to do with him.
Jessica

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I would try to go to the Petsmart training center and ask them if they can recommend a behaviorist. Have you talked to your vet? They may be able to help you with this also. Liz may be of some help also, she may be able to find a behaviorist in your area. Where did you get her? If it was through a rescue organization, I am sure they would help you with this. I really do hope you are able to work through this with Gisselle.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I adopted her from our local shelter. Gisselle has an appointment with her vet on Friday for shots so I will talk to them about it also. I also have the petsmart trainers (that trained our pit bull ) E-mail address so I will e-mail him now. Thanks to everyone for their support!!! I REALLY REALLY Apprceite it. So Does Gisselle!
Jessica

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I just thought of this...You can go to the Association of Pet Dog Trainers site and search for a trainer in your area. Here is the link..

http://www.apdt.com/

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Jessica---you don't want a trainer, you want a behaviorist who has knowledge in rescue dogs and their behaviors.  Read my pm and do what I asked...I'll help you find a good behaviorist and I'll talk to your hubby for/with you.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
The Association of Pet Dog Trainers site will give you a listing of trainers in your area. You can search by zip code. It will also give you a background of what these people specialize in. Some of which are behaviorists or specialize in specific areas of expertise.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm really sorry things aren't going so well - good luck with whatever choice you make for Gisselle. It must be difficult and disappointing when you'd like one big happy family and it's not working :( - it's not your family's fault if she's not comfortable with young children or men - i'm sure you'll do what's best whether that be finding her a new home or managing her behaviour - Good Luck :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts