Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today Anna developed a bump on her back.  That spot has been a little tender for awhile (back on thanksgiving she ran into a chair hard), but I figured it wasn't a big deal because she acted fine.

But today, I see this swelling and it concerns me.  I made an appointment for Monday at the vet, but wasn't sure if there was anything I could do for her now.  I found an old pain pill from her spaying and gave her a 1/4 of that (instructions said 1/2, but didn't want to over do it) to help ease the pain (only seems to bother her when you touch that area).  Any advice?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Wish I had some advice, it does look painful, poor Anna.  Hope it is nothing serious, sending <<<<<<<<healing>>>>>>>> Anna's way.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
That is pretty strange looking......I take it the spot was not there before she ran into the chair?  It is odd for an injury (hitting something) to have such a raised lump because there is so much extra skin and tissue on dogs especially boxers, but it could be from that...sometimes an injury will kind of seperate the skin from the tissue underneath and it will form a little pocket.  Generally they are fluid filled and will start off kind of squishy and then become harder as they get bigger.....

It is actually considered a fluid filled cyst.  This is most common seen when there is a tissue reaction to a vaccination.  That would be kind of low for a shot area but did she have shots a few days to a week before Thanksgiving?

Either way there is usually no pain involved unless you touch or squeeze it and alot of times it is simply drained with a needle...Good luck!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Its kinda weird but does she have anymore and is that were she hit the chair?  Hives?  Anything new recently?  Or maybe ringworm? Try ice 10 min.  Let me know?!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
awww poor anna...im afraid im not much help ive only seen Isis's fur do that when she breaks out ..the fur stands up in all directions...

i hope you get an answer and she feels better..

}}}}}}}}sending healing boxer vibes{{{{{{{{{

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, it's the weirdest thing.  hopefully it all gets better before monday.  i've been doing hot and cold compresses today, and i gave her a real light back rub with some icy hot.  it seems to have gone down a little.  so, i'm just gonna keep that up.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
jeez i never thought of icy hot for the dog lol...what a good idea...i guess i wasnt sure it was safe ..id bet thats making her feel sooo good hehe..i know it works wonders for me after a weekend of surfing ..its a lifesaver..

hope shes feeling ok...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well it worked!  Her swollen back has gone down.  But strangely enough a new problem has come up.  For some reason the right side of her face is swollen now.  I mean what the hell is going on??  It looks like she has a fat lip and a black eye on the right side of her face.  I also noticed a small hive on her stomach.  The only thing that has change even recently is I moved her from the Puppy Chow to the Purina One adult dog food, but that was weeks ago.  Poor thing is acting perfectly normal, but looks like someone beat her up!

So, for now it's a diet of rice, some yogurt, and water until Monday.  There has to be something going on here.

·
Registered
219 Posts
hummm wish i could give advise but i really cant.. but as stated it does look kind of weird.. could she have scrapped it and possibly gotten someting inside to infect it in any waY???

·
Registered
744 Posts
One of my bitches will get odd lesions that start out as lumps that look exactly like what you've shown above. In fact, when I pulled this thread up, my hubby who is currently sitting next to me on the couch said, "That looks like what Nedra had."

They started out as lumps, filled with fluid and eventually broke open and were raw and infected (stunk to high heaven). Took her to the vet who said that they looked like burns, but it was spring and there was no way that she was near a heater or out in the sun for extended periods of time. We tried cleaning with Peroxide and topical antibiotics and antifungals (Tritop and Panalog) 3x per day to no avail. They'd help the spots that had previously occurred, but then she'd develop new ones in other places on her body. These spots almost always appeared on her back, running from the back of her neck, down to her tail. We finally put her on a course of oral antibiotics and they cleared right up. She was fine for a year, and then the very next year around March (last year), the same thing happened again. Time will tell if it happens again this year, but I still haven't made a connection to what could be causing it.

To this day, neither I, nor my vet can figure out what in the world it is, but we do know that it responds to oral antibiotics, so I'd consider trying her on a course if you can't get it cleared with topical treatment.

Oh, and my girl is hypothyroid. As with any hypothyroid dog, it can be tricky to get their meds in line, so it's quite possible that these infections are the result of her meds getting out of whack with her internal thyroid hormone production.

Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update,

This morning the swelling in her face has disappeared.  The best I can tel is that it's an allergy, or something.  So I'm gonna take her off her Puriana One today and cooking her some food.  See if it returns.  This is all such a PITA.

Thanks to all who've responded.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Good Idea,
We all know these dog's have quite the allergies.  Did you give her some Benadryl? My baby is 53 lbs so I give her 2 25 mg benadryl 3x a day for 3-4 days....it helps.  She get' s tired from it and her eyes bug out bad....I dont like to give it to her unless I have to.  My dog has allergies so other than when she get's the hive's I am suppose to give you Tavist OTC from the drug store, I dont know where you live but I only can find this @ CVS in MA.
:?  :D

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
That definately looks like a reaction from a bug bite or something like that.  I would advise the use of Benadryl as Mamas Girl advised above.  I keep it on hand for emergency swellings everywhere.  Car, backpacks etc. That is the first thing to use when they are swelling in the face or side like that.  I have used it on my dogs with no side effects whatsoever.  They don't even seem tired on it thought some dogs will.  

Nano

1 - 13 of 13 Posts