Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband just told me he has been thinking about getting another boxer so Littlefoot can have a friend.
So what I am not to sure about is the kind he wants. He said he likes the "black" ones.  (sealed brindle)
I am not really sure I understand how they are black. I know there are no true black boxers.
Why are there so many different names for them?
Floyd (hubby) really has his heart set on this kind of boxer.
Since I know sometime down the road he will get one what should we look for and what are they really called?
And if anyone knows of a breeder that has them (sells them) let me know. I had a very hard time finding Littlefoot and I know I will have a harder time finding one of these "black" ones.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I THINK reversed brindle? But watch out for "breeders" that chrage an arm and leg and say they are"rare". If they do that then you want to skip them.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Many breeders refer to the reverse brindles as "black" . Make sure to do the research and dont let a breeder charge you more because of this supposed rare color. The reverse brindles appear black, but in fact are not. the best advice i can give, is research, research, research!!  :) good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, I am going to do some looking up on reverse brindles. I did find a site in my favorites that Floyd put there. The breeder has 2 puppies and they are 550 (I dont feel that is bad at all) But I know nothing about the breeder so I am goin gto try to look them up as well. (they are from PA)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Where at in PA are they? I know of a breeder who breeds reverse brindles and has a very very dark female (she looks black) that she'll be breeding (not for another year though)... Heres a pic of her female.. I'd love to have one but I want a flashy tiger stripe brindle... =o)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Lancaster is Puppy Mill country! Please, if you're going to buy any dog down there, DO RESEARCH and check everything out first!! I got your PM.. I'll get right back to ya!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Be wary of anyone calling them "black" (some will say "black brindle") or anyone saying "sealed" brindle (as opposed to "seal") - these are terms primarily used by the unscrupulous to promote a "rare" color that is actually a mixed breed.  A true reverse brindle may look black at first, but there will always be visible fawn on the body - often on the flanks or legs.  (If there is no visible fawn, regardless of purebred status, the dog would be disqualified per the breed standard and should not be bred in any case.)  On puppies, the brindling may be harder to see - it spreads out as the dog gets older - but the parents will have their 'final' color.

Some further information on determining whether you're dealing with a responsible breeder can be found here:
www.newcastleboxers.com/breederquestions.shtml

1 - 8 of 8 Posts