Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay....Fiona has decided to turn to the other side --- stubborn-----:evil: Here is the last week.....

I need advice, but first let me tell the basics, Fiona does know the basic commands to sit, stay and she will heel when we walk on a leash, she does well on a leash and will return to you when called, she is frequently walked on a leash because our backyard fence is not complete, (we live on almost 3 acres)

When off the leash she turns a deaf ear. She will look at you as if you have three heads and she does not know who you are, what you want, or why she should listen to you.

Here is what happened today.......We went to the lake and were walking on the sand, playing in the water and Fiona was on a leash being her "good/angel 5 month old self" There was no one there execpt for us and my husband decided to let her go and run with us and play.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Re: A major new problem with Fiona

Advice frmo a trainer:

If you let her off lead:

Keep the lead attached to her until her recall is reliable...use a longline for this...

Continue to practice recall...

REMEMBER:  She is only five moths old!!!  Welcome to the world of teenage Boxers!!!  They are stubborn and "deaf"!!!  She is going through a new phase.  Some dogs take longer to get recall whereas others don't.  keep working at it.  Do it for 15 minutes a day, EVERYDAY!!!  She won't get ot if its only trained occasionally!!!  You have to be constistant!!!  Training is a lifelong process.  It should last throughout their lives.  Old dog CAN learn new tricks and young dogs CAN learn old tricks!!!  It just takes time and patience!!!  Try working with her on round robin recall (can give very specific step by step instructions if you would like).  Round robin recall plays on a Boxers playful nature!!!  Its more like a game than an exercise.

DO NOT CHASE YOUR BOXER WHEN THEY ARE RUNNING AWAY FROM YOU OFF LEAD!!!  They will think its a game and because of this they will continue this inappropriate and potentially dangerous behavior!!!  Rather than chasing her, you should jog ligtly in the other direction, waving your arms about like a madman, making bizarre LOUD noises (turkey like calls work well) while calling their name!!!  They will think your having a great time without them and come running to check it out!!!  

You'll look like an idiot, but your dog will come back to you!!!!

Hope this helps!!!  

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: A major new problem with Fiona

[quote="lillyzmomma\";p=\"16047":1n5voggi]Advice frmo a trainer:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it is easier you can email or PM it to me.....But, it could be helpful to others here too.  

Thanks again

·
Registered
780 Posts
I agree, boxers become deaf at a certain age and will not come to you unless they want to.  Ours have all done that, they will look right at you when you call them and turn the other way.  It takes a lot of patience and work to get them to do what you want them to.  She is only 5 months old and still very playful and learning.  They do get better as they get older and understand the rules.   Now if I could only get ours to do so well on their leashes!  8O

·
Registered
316 Posts
I need help with exact issue too!!!  With the exact same age puppy  

Ginsy is PERFECT on the leash or in the house with all of her obedience commands.  

wellll with me- she is deaf to te rest of the family, even dh but he never works with her and the DC are little.

Any way if we are outside- or worse yet she gets out wthout the leash then all her obedience training is out the window.  And that is without any other destractions like PEOPLE or DOGS, CATS, TRAFFIC  Oh I don't know ANYTHING!!!

I do work with her everyday but (and I know this is part of the problem) I work with her inside :oops: because it has been so wet and humid and sticky outside so much this summer.  And I think that because she was doing so well with all her commands that I got a little lax in my consistency.  Just like with her house training :oops:

I have had and trained dogs all  my life But haven't had a dog since I left home for college.  So I have forgotten alot and some fresh ideas are always helpful so Could you post some SPECIFIC step by step tips :lol:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Ok...You can find instructions for Round Robin Recall under a stickey by samsonsmom for training the come command.  

I'm also working with samsonsmom about starting a locked section where I can post step by step training instructions.

Lilly minds me best (for obvious reasons), then she minds my kids best (2,4,5 yrd old), then my hubby.

Just because your kids are young doesn't mean they can't work with your pup.  Hopi (2 yrs old) knows Lilly's hand commands and is the best at settling Lilly when she wired!!!  My older two help me train her to do new things as well as reinforce old behaviors.  My hubby is just starting to work with Lilly using hand commands, so he's the last off the bench.

Let me know what else you want me to help you train your dogs to do.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
245 Posts
3 years old...same problem. She's ok off the leash in an enclosed area. Open area....I call her, she looks at me like...who are you??? Then continues on her way. I posted something similar cuz Xena ran into a busy street during rush hour on a friday evening (can u imagine how scared I was?!) Basically everyone said to make urself more interesting than whatever they're running after....like with the turkey noises n such. This robin thing....never heard of it. I should look into it...maybe teach the old dog a new trick.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am sooooo glad that you wrote in about this!  We are having the SAME problem with our Boxer....when on the leash, she is wonderful...let her off and it is good luck to us if we catch her.
We are enrolling ours into puppy school soon.  I know they use the clicker....and ours has responded to that fairly well.  Everyone has offered such great advice!  Thanks!!!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Macy used to do the EXACT same thing! She would hang around for a minute and then bolt and wouldn't listen to anything. We were far from a major road, but one day she decided to run towards the road and I was racing after her as fast as I could screaming at the top of my lungs for her to stop. She ran right into the highway!! I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Luckily the cars had enough time to stop.

I tried to work on the recall and keep her on the leash as much as I could, but we didn't have our house long enough to put up a fence in the yard before we had to move so we decided to try out the electric collars from Innotek. I really didn't want to use them, but I also didn't want Macy to get hit by a car. They worked really well for us and we don't have to use them anymore. She listens really well and responds to every command. Even when we were using the collars I rarely ever shocked her because it had a tone button, which was enough to get her to listen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts