Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Emmet and I are sitting watching telly last night when out of the corner of my eye I think I see a little black dot running under the couch.  So I turned to Emmet and said "I swear I think I just saw something running under the couch."  We listened carefully but heard and saw nothing for a few minutes, and he's just telling me that it was probably a dust bunny blowing under, when this little black mouse comes running back out and over to the skirting board!  Well, Tink spotted it and went BALLISTIC trying to catch it - she didn't succeed and the next time we saw him he was poking out from behind the TV stand on the opposite side of the room!  I swear to God, those things can apparate or something!

Anyway, Emmet is being sent to look for humane traps today, and needless to say, the back door is no longer being left open all day long - the weather has dropped by a good 8 degrees centigrade in the last week, and I can see all his mates setting up shop for the winter in our house if we keep leaving the door open!

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
We don't get them in the house, thank God, but there are lots of little field mice in the back yard toward the pasture.
My father-in-law lives in Oklahoma and gets the little field mice in his house.  His wife prefers poison and mouse traps.  Gross!  Poor little things.  They can't help it if we think they're icky! :lol:   I think they are cute.  But I wouldn't want one in the house.
Good luck getting rid of the little guy! :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Rotf..Nope you definitely don't want your little visitor and all his family to take up residence.. :) I cannot stand mice in the house, gives me the creeps....When we moved in here last year, there was a family that had taken up residence and I opened Samson's food bin one morning, and what did I find? Oh man I screamed like a fool, scared Samson, scared Marq. I think I scared the darn mouse too....Needless to say, he was removed quickly......Good luck with your extermination

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I used to work in a daycare center, one morning I was in the kitchen getting breakfast ready for everyone, when I heard this shuffling noise. I heard it for about 5 minutes before I started walking around trying to pinpoint where it was coming from. I eventually found a little baby mouse, stuck in a glue trap under one of the shelving units. I had just seen the willard movie about rats, which taught me that vegetable oil would get something un-stuck from a glue trap. So that's what I did. I got him out, cleaned him up a bit, and put him back outside. A half hour later, I looked out the door, and noticed that he was still out there, not attempting to move. It was winter out, so the ground was covered in snow, and I figured he probably wouldn't last long out there, so I took him home.  Cute little guy, he healed up nicely, and didn't take him long to start eating normally and playing in a little hamster wheel. lol
My husband, on the other hand, is scared of little fuzzy things for some reason. He was terrified the whole time that he would jump out of the cage and attack him or something. Men. lol

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, Emmet has just reported that the hardware shop only has snap traps - the joys of living in farmland, where they just kill any "pests".

Googled humane traps and found a great site which teaches you how to make your own - looks like great fun and seems to have a good success rate too!  See it here.  We shall be trying this out tonight, hopefully I will have something to report tomorrow!

Glue traps seem like the most cruel things ever.  At least a snap trap is quick.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
:signeek: :signeek: :signeek: :signeek: :signeek: :signeek: :signeek:

I think I would have to check out of my own home until the little booger was gone!! I don't do well around any type of rodents, snakes, or even bugs, especially roaches or palm meadow bugs!  Hey don't you have a snake you can feed this thing to?

Anyway, good luck exterminating, whichever method you use!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
We had one a few years ago.  A tiny field mouse and I asked my husband to get it out of the kitchen. I do not know how many ways he tried, but I do know that my kitchen was completely rearranged and he broke alot of stuff in the process of running through there with a broom! I finally settled on a trap because it was getting in my trash can and dragging stuff out and leaving little mouse droppings in my kitchen floor.....

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, Lisa - Emmet did joke that we could just let Hades loose in the sitting room for a while!  Unfortunately, you can't feed wild mice to a domesticated snake as they can carry parasites that the snake has no immunity to.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
when I was younger we had a mouse in our house too... and we couldnt catch it... then one day my mom had some dishes soaking in the sink after dinner and she went to wash it and she pulled the dish with the sponge out of the sink and realized she was holding a dead mouse and not a sponge....

·
Registered
933 Posts
OMG!  I would've died! :lol: I can't stand mice in the house.  I think they're cute as long as they're not running around in my home.  We get the occasional field mouse in here and I freak.  My husband just laughs.  Sorry to say....we get rid of them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I live in the south and have 3 farms on either side of my property, so I get the occassional visitors too.  I am such a weenie when it comes to rodents!  :signeek:   My husband has sworn that I was being attacked when I would see one.  I'm not normally a screamer, but those little critters give me the willies!  We'll occassionally find one in the pool skimmer too and it has to be fished out. YUCK

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I bought the decon hotels that mouses are supposed to run in to the bait and get trapped.  After not nabbing the mouse, I bought the snap trap and put a little cheese on it.  That night our mouse problem was over!  Good luck doing it the humane way, just remember that they can have babies very fast and I doubt you want an even bigger problem.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it is now over a week later and our attempts to catch Steamboat Willie in the humane trap have thus far been spectacularly unsuccessful - several times he has managed to grab the food (pieces of Mars bars) without activating the trap.

I'm beginning to think I'll have to give in and use a snap trap - I don't fancy having to end up getting the whole house rewired because he met a Minnie and decided to go forth and multiply...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol Eimear, yea, they can be a bit devious at times....Welcome back by the way, haven't seen you lately......

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Yuck! Mice give me the creeps! Hope you catch him soon, because like you said a whole family would be a completely different story!!  :lol:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'm not so much afraid of a mouse (if I know where it is), it when they "hop" at you that nearly puts me into an early grave.  Hope you catch the little guy - or rather get rid of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts