Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

A New Beginnning

2K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  chip18 
#1 ·
Your never to old for a Boxer pup, as long as his or health on longevity is provided for, As I'm a young senior citizen I'am taking the opportunity to do so. I have a beautiful male Boxer pup 3 1/2 weeks out of the whelping box, do here soon to hang out with my going to be 5 year old female EVA,Who was bred by me, who is totally despondent from the lost of my male Myles.
I feel very fortunate to find a nice 3/4 Euro breeding with A great health back ground From a great and caring family . I can't wait for the New beginning.

#2 ·
Go EVA! And congratulations on your new to be guy. Although sorry for the need. :(

Looking forward to pictures of the new arrival! And I like the young senior bit, I'll be there myself in June of next year. :)

#3 ·
Congrats on locating your new family member! I am excited for you! I am no “spring chicken” myself so I know all about aching joints and keeping these dogs we love out and exercised it can be a challenge and some mornings I really have to force myself up and out there but the joy my dogs get from having their morning run is worth it and you just can’t be in a bad mood watching them play, I hope you take lots of pictures!

#4 ·
Congratulations Joeponds! I am glad you found your next soul mate for you and Eva. Somehow I now have standard poodles though there is nothing like a boxer. I am still at a loss without our Kai. When I couldn't find Kai a playmate of a health tested boxer I somehow found a standard poodle. He has been a chore, lol. $ weeks ago today we brought in a rescue st poodle or so they think. Big difference from mine, smaller boned and calm, I can say it sleeps the better part of the day till about 4 then that it till bed. He was they think about 5 months old. You will enjoy puppyhood. Being a older senior I am fortunate to still have my adult daughter living at home. She takes night duty and should I meet my demise before my dogs she will keep them with her. I am now done this Inn is closed. I am looking forward to lots of pictures of cute boxer puppy. Congratulations.

#10 ·
Adorable puppy! I am so glad you got him how has your girl taken to him? I hope they are getting along well. I got my male when my current female was a year old she was glad to have another dog to play with but she was a little “green around the gills” for a bit with all the attention he had to have she got over it!

#12 ·
Congrats! I'll be 65 in a few months and was really hesitant to get a puppy, but after much deliberation (and wise words from actress Betty White in her book) I decided you're never too old for a puppy if you are physically capable of caring for it properly and have a life plan for it just in case it outlives you. Brought my little girl home one week ago and she's definitely got me running ragged, but I'm enjoying this "last time" with a puppy.
Sue

#13 ·
Congrats! I'll be 65 in a few months and was really hesitant to get a puppy, but after much deliberation (and wise words from actress Betty White in her book) I decided you're never too old for a puppy if you are physically capable of caring for it properly and have a life plan for it just in case it outlives you. Brought my little girl home one week ago and she's definitely got me running ragged, but I'm enjoying this "last time" with a puppy.
Sue
Wow good luck to you, I came to realization That I have to many ailments for a pup now. I gave up my pup to a family with 3 kids that will keep him active, much more than me right now. Most of all new life to you and enjoy your new pup.
I will surely miss another adventure .

#14 ·
I'm sorry to hear this Joe. You know I'm up there with mostly mobility ailments. It was getting easier till I got the new pup but I lucked out and its a very calm pup, for a pup..But is does not like being alone even though I've worked on it since he came into the house. The good part of it is he loves to walk so it is getting me out of my recliner and back to walking. My older poodle is good too but more difficult for me to walk, he is much heavier built, 68 lbs worth. I try to give them "playtime each afternoon" in the backyard which they love and play non stop. As we creep up in age we do what we feel is best for us.

#15 ·
Aww sorry to hear this. But it sounds like you did by him in any case. :)

I'm closing in on 65 my self and I can relate. My GSD Rocky, worked out well, in the long run but he was "Decade of serious responsibility!" I was just so tired when I we got our "Bella," (Boxer/Pit) that she get's away with "murder," a lot?

She kinda sort of "Counter Surfs," for one thing? I put her treats in front of the Micro Wave and some times she get's them early and sometimes she waits?

In the "old day's," that crap would not be happening? But after a "decade," of "responsibility," to keep your dog from going after "People?" I just tired. So now our "Bella's" counter Surfing "issues," get down to me telling "Marilyn," not to put food she does want her to touch ... in front of the "Micro Wave." :)

And the "Coffee table," is gonna be another "bone of contention? Bella uses it as a "Place Mat" at times? Well that was kinda odd? But whatever is my take. Marilyn say's new "Coffee table," is coming and I don't want the dog on it?"

Time will tell how that works out? Cuz I don't care myself? If I don't have my dog trying to hurt people "cuz" I don't know you? Everything else is little crap?

But yeah "Puppy's," are a lot of work? And my "Bella," is not exactly a "role model," for a new dog ... I suppose? So you know time will tell? Cuz I still want another White Boxer, but it will need to a boy. :(

But back on point, so no nother dog for you? Or will you try a "Rescue after all?" It would be just a different set of issues, in any case.

#16 ·
Aww sorry to hear this. But it sounds like you did by him in any case. :)

I'm closing in on 65 my self and I can relate. My GSD Rocky, worked out well, in the long run but he was "Decade of serious responsibility!" I was just so tired when I we got our "Bella," (Boxer/Pit) that she get's away with "murder," a lot?

She kinda sort of "Counter Surfs," for one thing? I put her treats in front of the Micro Wave and some times she get's them early and sometimes she waits?

In the "old day's," that crap would not be happening? But after a "decade," of "responsibility," to keep your dog from going after "People?" I just tired. So now our "Bella's" counter Surfing "issues," get down to me telling "Marilyn," not to put food she does want her to touch ... in front of the "Micro Wave." :)

And the "Coffee table," is gonna be another "bone of contention? Bella uses it as a "Place Mat" at times? Well that was kinda odd? But whatever is my take. Marilyn say's new "Coffee table," is coming and I don't want the dog on it?"

Time will tell how that works out? Cuz I don't care myself? If I don't have my dog trying to hurt people "cuz" I don't know you? Everything else is little crap?

But yeah "Puppy's," are a lot of work? And my "Bella," is not exactly a "role model," for a new dog ... I suppose? So you know time will tell? Cuz I still want another White Boxer, but it will need to a boy. :(

But back on point, so no nother dog for you? Or will you try a "Rescue after all?" It would be just a different set of issues, in any case.
Yup, I totally relate to the "I'm tired" and sometimes letting the pup get away with something that normally would be unacceptable. I just don't have the energy and the body to be jumping up and down every 7 minutes and correcting her properly. If I can't catch her directly in the act of doing something wrong then I have to just let it go. It's not fair to raise your voice or give them "the look" after they've already done something - they have no idea why you're upset at that point. Mornings and daytime I'm pretty much on top of properly training and raising a puppy, but by evening, I've had it! And unfortunately she seems to have a witching hour that lasts from about 11:00 pm to 1:00 am. That's when she becomes insane, does zoomies, tears things up faster than I can clean them, pees and poops all over the house and destroys something else while I'm disinfecting that. She becomes a terror in the evening even though she plays actively and roughly with her siblings for a good part of the day, in addition to playing and walking with me. But then she collapses for a few hours early evening and is set to go when I'm winding down. I hope to get her on a better schedule soon.... maybe not let her nap in the early evening. But oh it's so hard to resist that peace and quiet that her naps bring! This too shall pass, and as many times a day that I say "never again will I get a puppy", there are just as many times that I snuggle her and laugh at her antics and am delighted that she's in my life.
Sue

#17 ·
I’m glad Joe that you realized what your limits are as you get older things do change it’s just a fact. My current 2 dogs probably do get away with more than my other dogs did but they are not “bad or destructive” I did find after I lost my previous 2 boxers I kinda lost my motivation to get out and walk in the mornings I tried walking by myself but it wasn’t the same. I think keeping active is good for all stages of life and I only hope to just keep on movin and I hope I will always have a Boxer at my side!

#18 ·
Hey Chip, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one tired... LOL...this new pup has not gone in the crate. I lugged that big ol thing back into my kitchen for no good reason....first dog I have NOT crate trained. Also it lived outdoors in a barn for 5 months, well so they say the pup didn't seem that old to me but...it has been loose all over the house from day 1. Took longer to housebreak, but honestly was really easy..just a pee if I wasn't vigilant enough or just too lazy to take out. Didn't like being left alone and though from day 1 I've gone in and out, there are times he just barks and barks when I'm gone, other times he sleeps. I don't care this time. LOL Basically he is good, I did buy a new gate as the space between my kitchen and living room is like 80 inches, give or take. He walks well on a leash though not trained too but he seldom pulls. Trying to make him more of a family dog, so he sleeps in bed with my daughter. LOL that gives me some "free time". He can sit. Honestly he is the first dog that I haven't trained to do anything but its ok, and I'm just tired. But I really really like him and so does my big poodle. LOL. I've always tried to keep my furniture and house nice, now I figure what am I saving it for, so we are enjoying it and since I don't entertain or have company anymore...I am living life.

#19 ·
I loved reading this.... it made me feel so much better! I have rescued and fostered several dozens of dogs in my lifetime and have always been very strict with myself about the proper training and acclimation of any new dog, but I like your more relaxed attitude towards your current dog. Yes, I should be doing things better but you know what? I'm doing the best I can. And maybe I should enforce the crate training more, but again, I'm doing the best I can. I do keep working on it, but I'm not going to risk the pup getting hurt by frantically trying to break out when she's really hysterical in there. And apparently the foster mom who had the pup for several weeks had a hard time with the crate so gave in and didn't bother so ..... (shrug).

And I'm right there with you on the furniture this time. At this stage of my life, I want to ENJOY what me and my family members love to do, even if that means the new couch I plan on getting in the future doesn't look new after 2 months. I keep trying to keep the house "nice for company" but find I don't really like having company over anyway! We should remember the number one priority is to love our pups, give them a happy home, and do the best we can with the other stuff.
Sue

#24 ·
Well yes but .. you did switch "Breeds," on us, just saying. In any case, your now our breed ambassador for Rotties! :)

So you have to keep us informed? People in general and Toddlers, in particular were my GSD's issues, he did not like either? Now perhap's that was just him? But on the Germanshepardforum as a general rule ... there were a lot of "people Issues?"

#22 ·
I have always allowed my dogs to get on my bed or my furniture I feel like it’s their home too and the crate thing well my male got frantic in there and pooped all over himself and I had to bath him each time I had to find another solution. I had one of my dogs actually break one of their puppy teeth on the crate so no crates don’t work for all dogs.

#23 ·
LOL yep, this pup lived with littermate in a barn without proper socialization. Foster home tried crate didn't work and didn't keep trying. I didn't even bother since he just lies around calmly. (mostly). I give him plenty of chews. So far so good and someone is always around to its easy to keep an eye on him. Since he is older, housebreaking has been easier. I don't want to jinx it but he hasn't had an accident in about 2 weeks. I'm still vigilant. My older poodle is 68 lbs and big...he is only about 25 lbs and much smaller. Starting to grow but much easier for me to walk. I don't think he will be nearly as large, maybe at the most 45 lbs.

#31 ·
"Uneven tempered GSD, OK then. :)
To me, a dog with an "Uneven temperament," Can't be trained and can't be trusted to do anything "reliably?" And that was "most definitely, "Not My Rocky!"

I had his back, and he had mine ... "Proofed and Proven!" He was not, "Rin Tin Tin," or "Lobo, Of The Littlest Hobo," but I "had his back," and he had mine. "Uneven Temperament," implies a "Dog That Can't be Trained or Predicted? And while "Rocky," had his uh "Issues," "Predictability," was not one of them? If I told him to do something ... he would do it!

And he did not like "Toddlers or you know People in general?" But I know that, I could still let people into our house and "Rocky could still be out there with us." I would tell him "Place," and that is what he did!

It was then my job, to keep company out of his face! And I was "good at my job!" Struddell, was the one that met and greeted uh "Everyone!" Rocky ... not so much! He just glared and watched!

It was my "Job," to keep "Guest" out of his face ... and I was good at my job! In our Ten Years, I only trusted him alone with two people! He was not an Emotional Service Dog or a Service Dog? He did not "need," to like anyone? And he "trusted," No One, save me and my wife.

Don't give us a "problem," when he was with us? And you "won't," have a "problem with him." But give us a hard time when we were with him? And you know ... "Good Luck," with that!

And no he was not a "Boxer," he did not like people! But he was "Disciplined," and "Perdictictable," so if he was a bad example of the "Breed?" I would happily have another example just like him. :)

And as for the "Pack Fight's," and my trip to the ER? yeah "well that was on me," I messed up? All one has to do is "Look Up "High Rank Drive Dog's." And guess what "Breed Top's that list?

If one has never had "GSD's" and a GSD becomes becomes One of Three? One discovers after a few month's ... usually 12 plus? Two dog's are a pair and three dog's are a "Pack?" Crap changes not a "Boxer/Molosser," issue? But you know, "GSD's" are uh different so ... "Welcome Aboard!" :)

But hey... this is just my "Rocky." Who Just a "pet," with a disabilty ... he was also a "Wobblers Dog's!" But whatever ... so how does he compare with the "Best of the Best?" Say a LE K9 in the real world? Who also ... did not like kid's? Well my Rocky ... did not "maul a kid, he lived with!" Because the K9 Officer did not " Kennel his dog " Securely at home.

The "Officer Fell Asleep," at home. The kid went into the yard and let the K9 out! Th e dog got out and "attacked the kid and chewed his leg off! A neighbor, heard the screams and got the dog somehow ... back into the Kennel and called 911!

Yep that happened. And let me tell you, in the K9 Community on Germanshepardforum, it did not go well! But fact's are fact's and I don't play! And I would bet, that Dog ... had lot's of "Paper," behind his name "proving his," Temperament and my Dog ... did not? But hey unlike that K9 Officer, I am not a "Foo!" And my dog (Proven) does not attack Non Threat's! He walks away! Proofed and Proven cuz you know "Crap Happens!"

Rocky my Working Line GSD, was the "Real Deal!" And yeah we had "issues," cuz I had no clue? But we got it done and I did 'trust him with my life!" We only had "One Bad Encounter," on a "midnight walk and he got nipped, because "I over Rode, him! My Bad! :(

But hey if he was "Uneven Temperament?" Tell me that I could get another one "Just like Him?" And I'd be all in! And yes ... it's a "Boxer Board," and I dearly Luv'd my Struddell but you know ... she was baby girl! And I was a Helicopter Dad! So on walks and stuff, it was Gunther, Rocky and me .... Guarding her Flank! She never had need to "Prove," anything ... Stru was Daddy's Girl. :)

#32 ·
Chip, You totally misinterpreted what I was trying to say. You are always saying what a bad dog he was but how you trained him and how the average person should not own a GSD. I was under the impression that he was only stable with you, and that he could easily go off. I know you put a lot of time into him. (My meaning of uneven temperment, trained but you never know 100 percent). I know from our many conversations on here that you train well and take no nonsense. What I'm saying or trying to say is that GSD are not bad dogs but really not so different from any other working breed of dog but that you need to purchase said dogs from reliable breeders who know the genetics/temperaments of their lines. And I agree if you get a working line dog, your not going to have a dog that will be happy just lying around doing nothing all day, and to me that is what many families want, so with that in mind not a dog for those families. As breeds become more and more popular, so do breeders and some of them just sell puppies without thought. I've had 4 GSD, 3 which came from byb's, 1 from a reputable . Big difference. Though all were trained, I could never be 100% sure that one wouldn't go off and just defy his training, my last one was bomb proof. I love GSD's they are super smart. Sorry if I offended you that was not my intent.

#34 ·
Chip, You totally misinterpreted what I was trying to say. You are always saying what a bad dog he was but how you trained him and how the average person should not own a GSD. I was under the impression that he was only stable with you, and that he could easily go off. I know you put a lot of time into him. (My meaning of uneven temperment, trained but you never know 100 percent).
LOL, well your right! 100 percent is difficult to obtain? And as Jeff Gellman for one has said, you can only 100 percent, when the Dog is Gone. And now I can say Rocky met that standard. :(

The GSD folk's were "always," throwing "Temperament," and "BYP" into the faces of JQP! And yes "ultimately," Temperament determines, the ultimate outcome of a dog. But if a Dog has a solid temperament or Nerve. How far he can go depends on the owner.

So when I was well, "rampaging on GSDForum." I did not go after JQP ... I went after the "Pro's!" LE K9's ... supposedly the best of the best? Yeah, not so much? That LE K9, that gnawed the leg of his son ... was not a "BYP," dog? I am pretty sure that "Department,' paid "thousands of dollars for that dog? And the K9 officer "messed up," and his kid was maimed and a freaking neighbor had to save him from the officers dog! And that is supposedly "The Best of the Best?"

So yeah ... I am not "Automatically Impressed," with LE K9's dog's. "Some Dog's," can't tell a threat from a "non," threat apprently? So I stay well the he$$ clear of them! And I am glad I don't live near one. :)

And High Dollar Dog's ... also end up in shelters. One does not the how and why of a given dog is in a shelter? If the dog goes after the wife the kid's, neighbor's or the owner? Screw this he is out of here! and no paper trail.

And some owners don't care what they paided for a "Dog?" All they know is, he is "Crazy," and they want him gone! And if he has not actually attacked anyone but might? Well I'll get him off my hands and "Good Luck," to the new owner. :)

That is what is happening today. With "Rocky," I ponder for month's what I had done wrong? And why my "Rocky?" Seemed to be so "hostile to strangers?" And I would ask online from time to and no one had an answer? And thne finally "MAWL," replied and said I had done nothing wrong! She was a LE K9 trainer and was "quite surprised that I was not? But she worked with them and had Five! Well technically, four Wl GSD's and one West Germany Show Line Dog, inside stuff.

But she said "German Shepard's are bred to bite!" I did nothing wrong. I had brought "Rocky," up the same as I had my American Band Dawg and Stru. But at about 15 month's or so something changed? And GSD 101 "I know now" apprently ... that is not unusual! "My Dog Changed?"

It was Christmas time and lot's of folks coming over. And Stru and Gunther were in hog heaven! But Rocky, never left my side? Well this seemed odd? But whatever ... I got out of my chair and sat by him on the floor? And that was when I noticed that he greeted each guest ... with a cold hard stare? OK... this is odd?

But whatever and then when the "Door Opened," again ... I felt a low rumble in his chest and heard a low growl? As folk's came in. And a "Cold Chill, ran up my spine?" And at that point I knew ... my life with dog's had just changed?

But is was subtle, so that no one else noticed it? But he was fine by me and no one else noticed? So I stayed with him and told anyone that asked, "Hands off?" As Stru was busy keeping everyone busy ... not a problem. But I knew I had a problem?

Now the rest is history and yep "100," percent... he never attacked anyone, in his life. And I could take him anywhere with me in public! And yep he was a "Bubble Dog," for a time (wore a muzzle) in public. But after awhile ... I dropped that. And yeah most likely ... I was "overly protective of him?"

He was well know around Dayton, and much to my dismay did tend to attract attention? And I had to answer "No he is not "Black a Wolf," questions a lot.

If I stopped to talk to someone? He would step five feet back and lay down and wait. I did not "train," that behavior per se, it's just what he did. :)

He "Trusted Me," and knew I would not put him in a bad situation? I only messed up once at midnight on a walk. And he warned me that was something was not right? And he got nipped by a Military Working Dog GSD, that was behind ... what looked like a secure fence, to me? He "said," something is not right here? But I over ruled him ... and I was wrong, and he got nipped, my bad. :(

But yeah he was a lot of work and 100 percent "public safe," is hard to achieve? But in his 10 years with me ... "We did it!" :)

And most likely I was "overly protective of him?" But I am not a "Pro," as such I did not have a "Team of Volunteers, or Trained Dog's to "Proof My Work?" The first person that "volunteer himself," to "proof my work?" Insisted on meeting him? I did saw him first of course and did the best I could to ditch him?

But he pretty much was instant on "Meeting my dog?" And crossed the street "again" to meet us? We looked somehow "different I guess? And he wanted to know, what was going on? So it was ... "Same Old, Same for Rocky," I stop and talk he wait's behind while me I talk and then we move on.

The "Muzzle," was off by now. So the guy asked me what I was doing and why? No one had ever asked before so I explained ... "Did not like people and I am working on "Rehab, with him." But this guy asked me "Well has it worked?" And can I meet him? Well I was stunned as "No one had ever asked me specific questions before?" But I looked back at "Rocky," and he looked fine .... "Same Old, Same Old here."

So I stepped aside and said OK? And LOL, Rocky was good with "him petting him!" So he greeted him and said "Nice Dog, you have there and moved on. :)

Now short of that "stranger, volunteering himself?" I don't know that I would ever have let anyone pet him? But what I did seemed to have worked? And if anyone saw "Us and about?" All they saw was a "Big Black (Wolf Looking) like Dog ... we got that question a lot! :)

But nope he was not an "unstable out of control GSD." He trusted me, he knew I had his back and "Proved," he had mine. But he was not a "Boxer," and I could never forget how he scared the crap out of me that Christmas, with what he thought of strangers."

If you passed us on the street, we would step aside if space was tight? You would think nothing of him ... just another dog. But unlike "Some," I never forgot. He was not a "burden, but he was a responsibility!" I kept him and the public safe for 10 years. And he did get to meet, "many strangers" forced contact at times? And I was freaking out (when we got in a crowd) but had to fake "Cool," for him. :)

He was a great Dog but a lot of work. And he would have been just to much for many? And ... despite "GSD's" being among the Top Two, of the most popular dogs in America for "Decades!" Cuz you know everyone wants a "Police Dog."
Even the "Best Among them can have .. "People Issues." But as they say "Be careful what you wish for."

But yes GSD's are/can be great dog's! And Rocky proved, I was more of a "Dog Behaviorist," then a "Dog Trainer?" They are two different disciplines apprently? My current girl Bella (Pit/Boxer) has on occasion proved to be a "total embarrassment to me?"

Sigh ... aside from "People Safe," I make no claims about what she can or will do at any given moment? She has embarrassed the HE$$ out of me on more than one occasion? And surprised me with , Strict Discipline on Occasions?" But hey she likes people so there is that. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.