Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooooo i let the gang out this evening to let them go potty one last time before bed. The way my kitchen is set up i have a door with a window leading to the laundry room where the kennels are, and then there is a door to the back yard. Well i left the back door open and closed the kitchen door so i could get some dishes done while my pack was going potty. Normally once they are done they like to jump on my basement door and look in the window to the kennel or run back and forth from back yard to laundry room.  Well....tonight all was exceptionally quite, so i was like "CRAP did they get into the trash my brother left outside??" so i go outside and whistle and Samson and Reese come running, i got them kenneled and called out for Savannah and my brothers husky Marxx....no show. We have a detached garage and the backyard wraps around the garage so i cant always see what they are doing outside.  so now i am thinking "sh** did Savannah jump the dang fence??" Then all of a sudden out of nowhere Savannah comes running with marxx chasing her. I thought it was funny haveing a little 15 lb puppy chasing a 50 lb dog and started laughing. Then i saw something in Savannahs mouth. i was staring at it trying to determine which toy she had found that Marxx had hidden behind the garage. Well she come running in the laundry room and it is a freakin DEAD BIRD!!!  8O  :sick:  I yelled "SAVANNAH DROP IT" and clapped my hands together. She spooked dropped the bird, and ran back in the yard. I immediatley threw a blanket over the bird, cause i couldnt look at it!! i got marxx in the kennel and it took me another 15 minutes to get Savannah to come in. She kept trying to go for the bird and would run off when she would realize she couldnt get near it. I ended up having to take a piece of Kraft cheese, quarter it, and give a piece to Samson, Reese and Marxx to entice her to eat it from my hand. Once i had her i grabbed her by her scruff and got her in the kennel. I then had to call my brother and tell him to get rid of the thing once he got home cause i wasnt about to touch it! I think if i had to remove it i would :puke:  It is soooooooooooooo disgusting!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
That is gross,  totally off the subject but your house set up sounds just like mine through the kitchen to the back mud room area where are my washer and dryer and dukes kennel and then the back door...Oh and my bro lives with me too! LOL
Hope he gets home soon the clean up the bird.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
ROTFLMAO...I know it wasn't funny at the time Andrea, but I bet now you can laugh...Oh I wish I could have seen that, first Marxx chasing Savvy, then Savvy with the bird.....Priceless  :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I am okay with a lot of things and lord knows I see alot of pretty nasty things day to day at work.  But, I think if I ever caught Fiona with a dead bird, mouse or probably just about anything else...I would  8O ......Thank goodness she is to slow and clumsy to seem to catch anything :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well guys she did it again this morning!!  8O i dunno if we is hunting down the minutes she is outside or what. she managed to eat all the feathers meat around the neck before i could get her to drop it. I mean i was thinking of switching her to RAW, but lord!! Brother is at work now so he couldnt get rid of it. She killed this one cause he was still limp...it was a crow. Now i am worried though. Sharon is there anything i need to watch her for?? I mean dont these birds carry like a millions nasty things?? i picked it up with a hacksaw and threw it away in the outside trashcan with a lid.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
They can get a pretty nasty intestional bacteria infection from birds/bird poop.  You would watch for loose stool that smells really bad.  The poop will have a choc pudding look to it and a really sickly smell.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks sharon...i used to love chocolate pudding but i dont think i do any more ;)

seriously though thanks!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I didn't realize what a house full you have....
Good thing it hasn't come back up yet.  I guess my lab mix ate a chicken (it was alive so she had to kill it first) then threw it back up, legs, beak and all.  Good thing I wasn't there.  

Well I hope she is ok..and that she stops killing birds.  

Good luck, sorry but I had to laugh a little.  Adam wasn't raised with animals so he didn't have to deal with the gross stuff.  Our cat caught a mouse once and brought it up to us.  I think he was more freaked out then I was.  And he can't clean up vomit or poop.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DUKE01\";p=\"86267 said:
I didn't realize what a house full you have....
Marxx is my brothers Husky...he isnt always home usually only when mybrother has to work. # of animals in the home currently is 4 dogs, 3 cats, 1 hamster......i feel sorry for the hamster :D

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Oh boy, the treasures these dogs bring to us  :lol: Nate dragged home a maggot infested woodchuck once and it was ALL hubby and I could do to clean it up!!!!!! Here in NY crows are increasing afflicted with West Nile Virus. Don't know if it's a problems in Texas since it's caused by mosquitos/standing water but if your pups continue to find dead/sick crows in your area might be worth asking about????

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Andrea, you are braver then I am; I suppose if there was no other choice I would get rid of a dead animal.  My nephews dog killed a chipmunk when I was taking care of him and I made my brother-in-law get rid of it.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
she is just telling you she wants to switch to raw feeding haha! my god i would have died and screamed and maverick would have thought it was a chase me game...at least she listens to you and drops it when you tell her! where is she getting them all? maybe you could put up some kind of deterrent for the birds to stay away?

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Henry has killed two squirrels and three birds! 8O  :roll:

In fact, I think chasing birds is how he hurt his leg.  So far, he's not gotten sick from these birds.  He's been getting the red winged black birds.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Donya\";p=\"86370 said:
she is just telling you she wants to switch to raw feeding haha! my god i would have died and screamed and maverick would have thought it was a chase me game...at least she listens to you and drops it when you tell her! where is she getting them all? maybe you could put up some kind of deterrent for the birds to stay away?
I dunno where she got the first dead one, but i know for a fact the second she killed. I am so disappointed because we wanted to hang a bird feeder out, but i cant put those poor birds lives in danger everyday!! :( I think it would just be sick if i did that!! So now instead of getting something to bring the pretty birds i have to scare them away...so sad. I have to be careful though b/c i have a pair of lovebirds and a pair of doves that have already made nest in two of my trees in the back. I think i would just die if she killed on of those!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I guess Jetta must lack the kill instinct, she doesn't chase birds, squirrels, or any small animals.  If they are already dead, that is another story...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Oh Andrea, I feel your pain!

Maddie proudly brought me a baby bird this morning. I feel terrible now, she came trotting up to me all proud and when I noticed she had a 1/2 dead bird in her mouth I started screaming at her, "Drop It" "Maddie Drop It." She dropped it right away at my feet.  :sick:
We have a dove's nest in one of our trees out back, and she knows where it is so she sits under it. A baby must've been kicked out or fell out and she snatched it. Now whenever I let her out she is "hunting" for this bird. She is obsessed over this thing! Must be the season!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The only problem with birds is they might eat rodents who have been exposed to rodent pesticides.  In that case you watch for coagulation problems.  If a bird has been eating road-kill there is possibly a problem with transferring worms.  Tapeworms will only show up on fecal tests 30% of the time.  Watch the poop, if it looks like there are dried segments of rice in it, take it to the vets.  After our boy bit a possum in the butt, the vet was mainly concerned about him picking up fleas from the animal.  No fleas found, but that would have been another problem we would have had to deal with.  Fleas carry all sorts of yukky stuff.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ziggi and Teaki love to chase birds (unfortunatly Teak taught Zig how do chase them).  I have chased him many times to get a bird away from him.  Ziggi has caught too many to count....the worst was when we let him back in one day and he coughed up some feathers and intestines from a baby bird  8O .  We have two feeders out in our yard for the birds and tons of houses around for them.  They are always full of birds and usually are able to get away before the dogs go out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts