Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed during the week i was Dog sitting Ginsy's brother Bo that their fur is very different.  Ginsy has very dense, thick, sleek, coarse fur while Bo is a bit  shaggy with very soft fluffy fur.   I noticed this on another male in our neighborhood this weekend.  The adult male had soft almost fluffy fur but Ginsy's fur lies very close against her body and gives her a very smooth sleek appearance but a coarser feel.

Anyone with more knowledge care to chime in with a discussion of coat differences.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i dont have much knowledge myself, but i have noticed that with the girls. Savannahs coat is dense and sits close to the body like ginsy but Reese's coat is very soft and thick. I chalked it up to her being a puppy- wonder if i am wrong. . . .

·
Registered
162 Posts
The tight sleek fur is more in tune with the breed standard.  A lot of puppy-mill and BYB dogs will have features which are far from the standard.  

At the dog park I asked this lady what breed of dog she had and she looked upset when she told me it was a boxer pure breed....  it had a head that looked like a lab....  she got it at a "puppy store"

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
This is interesting. Buster had very coarse thick fur. Maddie's coat is very sleek and tight. I think it is all in the breeding.

·
Registered
948 Posts
The fur topic is a very touchy subject for me be/c of my bfs mother.. She  questioned me when I brought her home asking if I bought a St. Bernard... WTH??? And when she was like 3 weeks old, she asked if Mia was gueanie pig...  :roll: Mia looks very much like Ginsy as she gets older.. *clap* YAY! I love me some Ginsy!!  :wink: But Mia has a soft coat (whereas her brother Hudson has a flat lying coat).. And I noticed, a lot of hobby breeders around here have puppies with this popping up... No one (except bfs mom and my dad who wouldn't know a dog if it bit him in the ass.. lol <-- exaggeration) questioned what Mia was.. Even little kids knew she was a boxer despite her "soft, non-flat lying" coat.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It's definitely in the breeding, Buck, my pedigreed brindle as well as Angel both have very short, sleek coats. Tia & Samson both fawns by the way and rescues, had thicker coarser coats..Samson's right now is almost as thick as a winter coat! Lol Flutterby, Mia a guinea pig? OH MY...

G

·
0 Posts
i was wondering about this topic.  the difference in coat between Binga and Bear is drastic.

Binga has a short very coarse coat...  always has.  Bear is like a fluff ball.  When he gets wet the poor thing is just soaked because of all that hair.

He is still a baby so I'm sure his hair will change, but Binga's was never that way.  Guess it depends on the genes.  I had just wondered if there was a reason for it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Oscar's fur gets coarser and sleeker every week, when I brought him home at eight weeks, he was so soft like velvet, still had his puppy fur!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts