Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys...just wondering why some of you get boxers ears cropped?? is there a reason for it at all?? is it to make then look nicer? and can you have it done to them when they are older than 6 months? thanks michelle x x

·
Registered
378 Posts
I didnt get mine done.My boyfriend wanted to get rockys done but the price was too much.Also our friend who owned a boxer before went to get his pups done and the puppy died during the procedure.Our vet told us that they could get it done later than what your suppose to but she said it would be a very messy thing to do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Check out the Ear Cropping post by Chatito the they covered the ages that it should be done by in the first page. If I remember they said that after 5 months of age was to late to do it . As far as to why it is more or less to give the dog a diff look and some countrys have made it aganst the law to dock tail and crop ears.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Cropping is strictly cosmetic and choice. 6 months is too old to have it done, it is usually done before 12 weeks. Ear cropping and I believe tail docking is now banned in some countries. I think England for one, is a country that has banned the procedures. Maybe someone from other countries will join this thread and let us know where it has been banned?  :?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I prefer the natural ear myself. My first 2 boxers were both natural.. Samson's were already done when I got him...Most of the European countries do not crop ears & I have heard that there is a strong move to do the same about their tails too...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i prefer the natural look...they were born like it so why change it?? i wouldnt have had rossi's tail docked if i had had him as a small pup...but it was already done..but as you guys say its peoples preferences..michelle x x

·
Registered
744 Posts
Cropping is a personal choice and one that is made in light of maintaining the history of the function for what the breed was originally created to do. The reasons for cropping and docking go back to our breed's origins; they are as equally a part of the breed's history as the blunt, squished muzzle, the short, square build and the solid bone and structure.

My fears have everything to do with government control over how we run our families. First they ban cropping, next docking, and then it will be the shortened muzzles. . . At what point will our boxers cease to look like boxers?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree that it is a personal preference.  I also agree with BurningRiver in regards to the government controlling that choice.  I do like the look of the cropped ears, however I do prefer the natural ears and have choosen not to crop them.  I do prefer the tail being docked though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now days it's a preference to get their ears cropped or not. I have read that back in the day people did it for hunting.
Pretty much goes with what you like. I like my boxers with natural ears and my parents always get their boxers cropped.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ear cropping, like stated above, is mostly a personal choice. I had tons of questions, you should check it out on my post in the General Forum under ear cropping, 3 pages! I personally liked them cropped. But it takes a lot of commitment, time, and patience! I've read that most ear cropping is done because the owner is showing their furbaby. I will tell you this, if in the future I decide to own another boxer, he will not have his ears cropped. Some dogs adapt well to the cropping/ear taping, and some dogs don't. Like i said, tons of commitment, time, and patience! I have the time at the moment, but in the future I will not.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think there is nothing like a gorgeous breed standard show boxer with it's ears cropped!  It is breathe-taking.  It is a personal choice, unless you are showing and even then I have read that shows are starting to allow floppy ears.  Do what makes you the best boxer parent and you will never be wrong.
~Anne
Cactus' mommy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts