Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought since all we ever see on craigslist and other sites, are dogs that are being re-homed.....that this was a nice change of pace and a good rescue story.
Please move if I've posted it in the wrong place!  Thanks!

"I am posting this story in the hopes that if you hesitate to adopt an older dog it will change your mind. I too once had such doubts. . .

Bo was found on the side of I-30 near an apartment complex. My son not wanting to see the dog run over tried to catch him. Bo trotted along until he came to an apartment door. A lady answered the door and stated that the dog was hers but she didn't care what happened to him anymore. She did not want him and he wasn't coming back into her home. With her permission my son brought Bo home.

For six months Bo cried for her. When a car with a familiar sound passed our house he ran to the window and cried a pitiful whaling sound as the car passed by. At other times he laid around the house with his chin on the floor and just stared.

Since Bo had been raised in an apartment he did not know how to run. At night my husband spent hours outside with him encouraging him to go faster than a trot. You should have seen the look on Bo's face when he realized how fast he could go! The first time he ran, when he realized how fast he was going, he stopped, sat down, and refused to move. Finally, with lots of encouragement, he got up and started to run again. After that he was off! running everywhere he went!

Bo had never had anyone play games with him either. Finally after a year he learned to play the only game we have been able to teach him. It is a form of keep away from the door - where we act like we are going to chase him and he runs. Sad as it sounds, that is the closest we have come to teaching him to play. But he loves it! You can almost hear him say,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
What a great story!

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a sad beginning to a story!

How lucky for Bo that your son spotted him, especially considering where he was.

I am in the process of trying to adopt a Boxer right now.

I had to put my angel of 12.5 years old to sleep last month.  I miss her soooooooo.  She was 14 months when we adopted her, and she too had a rough time learning the ropes.

I have a 2 3/4 yeard old Brindle BABY, and a yellow Lab that is 5 yrs.

The Lab will be moving away with my sone in June, once he is married and moves into his new home.

The BABY has never been an only dog.  She looks for the old lady, still.  I know when the Lab leaves she will be terribly lonely.  I hope that  I am able to locate a Rescue Boxer before then.

I say Hooray to you, and what a lucky baby Bo is!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Now we need more stories like that one  :)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
such a sad story in the start but im glad it turned out well for Bo. He is a cute senior guy too. Thanks for sharing this.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thank you for sharing Bo's story.   You must be very proud of your son.   With so much negative news about young people these days it's refreshing to hear about a young man with so much regard for the well being of a stray animal.   How fortunate for Bo that he found him.  Both of your furbabies are adorable.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
What a great story! Thanks for sharing it with us! They all have just as much love to share with us no matter what age they are!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
That is a wonderful story, so happy to hear that Bo found such a good home.

G

·
0 Posts
yep  teary here too!  how sad to be in the same complex as his owner!

what a wonderful story and treasure Bo is.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey everyone!  Sorry for the confusion, but this story isn't about me.  I found it on-line and thought it was a nice change of pace from all the horrible stories we're so used to hearing.  Sorry for the mix-up!

·
Registered
317 Posts
That gave me chills.  What a wonderful story.  I took in my one Sheltie when she was 9 years old.  She's 11 now and is still going strong as ever.

G

·
0 Posts
Glad you posted it!  Made me teary eyed as these stories always do.  We already have two, but my husband says when we finally get a house with a big fenced in yard we are going to try and rescue.  I am very much looking forward to it    :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts