Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so yesterday my puppy saw the garbage truck for the first time.  Tyson was outside with my fiance going on a short walk before we had to leave for work.  Tyson got really scared of the truck and kept pulling the leash and ran all the way back home.  We have never seen him move so fast.  How do we deal with him getting over this fear?  Until now, we have not seen him scared of anything.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I believe that someone posted a similiar question but I can't seem to locate the thread.

Puppies are usually scared of a lot of things the first time they come along. I couldn't put Macy down the first time I took her to the store. Now she loves it there.

I would suggest taking Tyson out when the garbage truck comes next time and make him sit. When he does and relaxes, give him a treat. After a while he won't be afraid.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
It was me who posted the similar question.  Kane was scared by a delivery truck door slamming behind him, but he's about 1 1/2 years old (guessing because no dob available).  This was about a week ago and he's still afraid to go out.  Every noise scares him to death and he tries to bolt back home.  I've tried praising him, giving him threats, letting him see cars and trucks come and go, but nothing is working.  Every noise scares him, even noises from the TV make him jump.  I'm really getting concerned because we got him in order for my hubby and I to take him on walks and he had no problems before this incident a week ago.  I'm just trying to be consistent with the praise and reassurance (not babying him) and keep on going out but any suggestions would be appreciated.  He weighs over 80 lbs. so carrying him around is out.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
keep him around it.    We use the "clicker to calm".  So if there lets say motorcyles, I take my pups downtown when I know there is going to be many down there.

I take my clicker and treats.   (they are clicker trained)  When I hear one, I click and treat, and click and treat thru the entire ordeal (motorcycle) and they give me the attention rather than the distraction (motorcycle).  After a couple of times they could care less about the loud noise.  Food is more important, and they give ME the attention:)

That is how I do it, and not we have no loud noise fear from constant exposure.   Everyone has a different way of how to deal with it, so thought I would share mine.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Michelle and Kate---If you are fearful of them running off or worried or overly concerned that will pass down the leash to your dogs.  YOU need to calm down before you take them out to walk and work on their issues.  Also, taking someone with you that can talk to you and help get your mind off the worry it will help you help your dog.  

Don't worry, its a practice in patience for a human.  

Slow and easy will win this race.  Patience and time are the keys.  Don't lose hope!!!  You can do it!!!

Liz (Professional Trainer) and Lilly (Hearing Service Dog and Therapy Dog; dually certified)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Kaiser did the same thing with a fiddle, now while I have a small fear of bluegrass music myself, Kaiser completely freaked out and wiggled out of his collar in downtown St louis.  Luckily my wife tackled him and stopped him..

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Your absolutely right on Liz with the nerves traveling down the leash to the dog!  I walked with my hubby last night who was walking Kane and I was just observing. Hubby just draped the leash over his shoulder, not even holding on to it, and Kane walked along just fine.  Kane just instinctively knows that he must stay right with him.  I wouldn't have believed it was the same dog that has been pulling me around the block if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.  They have a bond I can't explain.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I hope you get this....according to a Boxer magazine that I have it says to carry a pocket full of his favorite treats, and when the garbage truck comes, to continuously feed him the treat, until the truck leaves.  Do this a few times, and soon he won't pay any attention to the truck!  It had a huge article about the exact thing you are asking about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts