Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do have a question about aggressive puppy behavior. I have read a lot of things that say when a puppy is tired it will "throw tantrums like a toddler". We are rehoming out Boxer puppy today but I want to make sure I give all info to the new family. The pup doesn't growl about food or toys (unless playing with my big dog and it seems playful) but when she is tired and does something we have to correct she growls and barks and at times will be snappy with us. She has nipped a few times but never broke the skin. She doesn't seem to act this way unless it's nap time. We usually ignore her when she acts this way. Today when it happened we all just stood there and didn't react, she whined and looked at us. She is young, almost 9 weeks old. I didn't know if this was normal behavior or something that is really bad.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
At 9 weeks old I think this is just puppy behavior. When we had our boy and he was a pup he would get really bites when tired, just like a toddler. I'd take him out to potty, come in wait 5 min. or less and place him in his crate. He would then sleep 2-3 hours.LOL. So I knew he was over tired. It is probably best you are rehoming her now while she is young and not when she is older and mature. She will do better in a home with a male boxer as you said. Sorry you are loosing her, wish I lived close I would have taken her in a heartbeat. I would tell the new family that she gets wild and bites when over tired and needs time out. Hopefully they truly know the breed and can deal with a rambunctious puppy. Best wishes to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I also feel guilty and I feel like I am looking for any reason to justify rehoming her. She snapped at my son today, towards his face, when she was tired. He is 12 and I have told him repeatedly to stay out of her face, but he is used to our 5 year old boxer who wants him in her face to lick him constantly. He also giggles a lot and I don't know if she perceives that sound as playful and since it's coming from his face that's why she goes there. She does not do this to me or my boyfriend. I think I am projecting my feelings of guilt on to her and trying to find reasons to justify what I am doing.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Awe well it is a "little complicated," for you, Hyper Focused on the negative, I would imagine?? The two girl thing?? So most likely your a little, "Hyper Focused," on the negative??

But she is a "puppy," and what you describe is pretty much par for the course. And typically the one that is the primary trainer get's the less amount of "grief??"

But ... what you observe ... is
also "pretty much typical," for a Boxer Female! Very uh ... "pigged and stubborn," to be kind.:)

In Boxer World, if you want an easier path to a well trained Dog. Well ... you get a male!
Many year's ago in one of the Book's I had on Boxer's. The author just said ... the girl's are uh different?? And no more that that??

And at the time, I wanted a Boy. But they were all chosen?? But I "needed" a white Boxer (another story) and out of the mass of puppy's, my to become Struddell, climbed out of the puppy pile plodded in my lap and well ... fell asleep??

She did not move?? Well I had only had boy dog's?? But I "needed" another "Boxer," now at the time. So you know, pretty boring but I'll take this one. :)

LOL .. well what I saw then was not "really who she was??" To be Struddell, had most likely spent the whole day being an A-Hole?? And was just exhausted when I got there?? Cuz, yeah asleep and laid back ... was not who she was??

I had only had male dog's and as a general rule ... male's are eager to please you! The females ... not so much?? They tend to, well ask question's ... such as "why exactly," should I give a crap about what you, ... convince me! Male dog's tend to want to do what make's you happy. Female tend to do what makes them happy?? You do have to convince them, that you know what's best!

Yeah ...kinda odd?? But once you breach the threshold of understanding .. the girls' are great! It is a "thing," and once you reach the understanding, the girl's are a piece of cake! I prefer Girl Boxer's myself but the Males are indeed easier to train. So you know ... it's not just you that wonder's WTH?? :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Our younger pup Rocket gets bite-y. When he gets excited, he likes to nip, but not with force. It’s more of a mouthy thing. It’s all part of puppies growing up into mature dogs—I correct him whenever he does that with a “uh-uh!!” Then he knows he is doing something wrong and stops.
My wife reminds me how much our older puppy Max used to be hyper, and get mouthy and not so much bitey. He just loved to play tug o war or whatever, and wouldn’t slow down. Put his mouth or paws on whoever was playing with him. I’d have to wrestle Max to calm him down, get it out of his system, daily. Lol.
Thinking it over, comparing the two, Rocket is actually not as insane hyper. He’s still mouthy/bitey. He does it when my daughter plays with him—but she is brutal with him. Steps on his ears when he’s laying down with his head on the ground, sticks her foot in his ribs, grabs his mouth or nose with both hands, putting her hands in his mouth... I mean, I can’t correct him without correcting her, which I do... drives me a little crazy but he is very tolerant and loves her attention. But, putting her hands in his mouth, come on! /facepalm.

She is our only child, so he’s basically her playmate all day, which is fun to see.

Anyway, I meant to say, Rocket was 9 weeks when we got him, and he would play rough with our older pup, but it didn’t matter because Max just loved it. He did bark a little but mostly play-barking.
Now, they don’t play so rough. Max is old, slowing down, getting a little antisocial. Max is super sweet, but when the TV is on too loud, he’s nowhere to be found. Rocket—loves attention, loves playing and running crazy.

Anyway, dogs are great at whatever age you get them, but it is a constant correction/training when they are young puppies. Older they get, the more calm, but also have their own personality, which can mesh well or not within your home.
Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awe well it is a "little complicated," for you, Hyper Focused on the negative, I would imagine?? The two girl thing?? So most likely your a little, "Hyper Focused," on the negative??

But she is a "puppy," and what you describe is pretty much par for the course. And typically the one that is the primary trainer get's the less amount of "grief??"

also "pretty much typical," for a Boxer Female! Very uh ... "pigged and stubborn," to be kind.:)

In Boxer World, if you want an easier path to a well trained Dog. Well ... you get a male!
Many year's ago in one of the Book's I had on Boxer's. The author just said ... the girl's are uh different?? And no more that that??

And at the time, I wanted a Boy. But they were all chosen?? But I "needed" a white Boxer (another story) and out of the mass of puppy's, my to become Struddell, climbed out of the puppy pile plodded in my lap and well ... fell asleep??

She did not move?? Well I had only had boy dog's?? But I "needed" another "Boxer," now at the time. So you know, pretty boring but I'll take this one. :)

LOL .. well what I saw then was not "really who she was??" To be Struddell, had most likely spent the whole day being an A-Hole?? And was just exhausted when I got there?? Cuz, yeah asleep and laid back ... was not who she was??

I had only had male dog's and as a general rule ... male's are eager to please you! The females ... not so much?? They tend to, well ask question's ... such as "why exactly," should I give a crap about what you, ... convince me! Male dog's tend to want to do what make's you happy. Female tend to do what makes them happy?? You do have to convince them, that you know what's best!

Yeah ...kinda odd?? But once you breach the threshold of understanding .. the girls' are great! It is a "thing," and once you reach the understanding, the girl's are a piece of cake! I prefer Girl Boxer's myself but the Males are indeed easier to train. So you know ... it's not just you that wonder's WTH?? :)
Thanks lol. My older female boxer must have been an exception to the rule. She wants to please and was never an Ahole. She was and is the perfect dog. Easy to train, sweet, loveable, literally just PERFECT! I guess she tricked me into thinking they were all like that. We settled the new pup in her home yesterday evening and she was so happy with the male dog. They just licked and licked each other, slept together, eat together, no issues, wagged her tail the whole time and NEVER growled once like she did around my female. My female boxer wasn't mean to her but also didn't seem to fully accept her. Would not lay with her, eat with her and would sometimes play but mainly stayed away from her. The family sent me pictures last night and she has settled in right at home. I know I made the right decision.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I think you probably did it sounds like you are a caring owner and I know if the puppy had grown up and there would have been fighting it would not have been nice. That female to female aggression is not unique to Boxers my parents raised German Shepherds and the same would happen with them. I have heard of other dogs as well having this problem no matter what the breed is. Sounds like your current dog is very sweet.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I know you may not be on the page any more since your pup is been placed in a new home... but our of curiosity how old was the pup when you got her?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm still here I was encouraged by other members to stick around. I actually have a 5 year old female Boxer that is my "soul dog." The pup was 7 weeks old when we got her.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Cool, to be 100% honest it sounds like a normal puppy doing puppy things. That being said if it wasn't something you wanted to work through it was best that you found a more suitable home. Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It wasn't that necessarily. It was more the research on female/female aggression that I was unaware of and found out about after both dogs were exhibiting some concerning behavior. Luckily, I am getting pics and videos of her daily and she is sooo happy. She is not exhibiting these signs with the male boxer in the home. He loves her too. It worked out for the best and I should have done the research before hand. Once she is settled and comfortable in her new home we are going to visit her. We don't want to confuse her but we get to stay in her life and that makes us happy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Really glad to hear it worked out. After we rehomed our second female the new family sent pictures monthly. She was in graduation pictures, family pics, and the ones I loved best were her running along the river during there evening walks. It took a long time to find the right family, and I turned down several families that were not the right fit. It really made us feel better knowing how happy she was, and how happy she made her new family!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Really glad to hear it worked out. After we rehomed our second female the new family sent pictures monthly. She was in graduation pictures, family pics, and the ones I loved best were her running along the river during there evening walks. It took a long time to find the right family, and I turned down several families that were not the right fit. It really made us feel better knowing how happy she was, and how happy she made her new family!
That's really great that worked out so well I am happy to hear there was a good ending to this.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I must agree males boxers seem to pick up on training easier and are less aggressive when playing. I have my first female boxer now and it's been rough. Boxers don't typically mature until between 2 and 3 years old. If not rough housed with too much, they mellow out.

Puppies as young as yours, and as old as mine (14 mths), have a big problem with impulse control. Mine also nipped at fingers and still will ankles, trying to gain your attention if she feels she's being ignored. She, as they all are, is one big bundle of energy and requires much more play then other breeds. Mine barks, howls, whines and grabs wrists when she is having a big burst of energy. I let her out and play fetch for a bit until she can burn off that burst.
You and your children have to let her know you guys are alpha. Don't just ignore it, discipline...lightly of course. They need consistency. I can't blame you for wanting to re-home or feeling guilty you have to do so. I would as well. If it weren't for her being serious when nipping your kids... especially the little one, I'd say patience and training.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I think you probably did it sounds like you are a caring owner and I know if the puppy had grown up and there would have been fighting it would not have been nice. That female to female aggression is not unique to Boxers my parents raised German Shepherds and the same would happen with them. I have heard of other dogs as well having this problem no matter what the breed is. Sounds like your current dog is very sweet.
Oh I am sure it can happen with other "Breed's," also?? And I do know "someone," that has had issues with multiple Female GSD's but interesting enough ... she was a "Breeder," also??

On Germanshpepardforum (And GSD's are alway's) in the top four most popular dog's, in America?I can't recall a single member of "JQP," having a two female GSD issue?? Now that could be because I missed it, or two female GSD's is just not a thing for JQP???

With GSD's the issue tends to between two males and if they are the same breed (GSD's) they tend to siblings ... "The two puppies at once thing.

But GSD Rescue (that I saw??) Have no "Boiler Plate Warning," against "Two Female's," in the same home?? But Boxer Rescue's Do have such a warning. And the reputable Boxer Rescue's, won't place two female Boxers in the same home ... end of story.

I imagine they just got tired of taking there dog's back ... if they were lucky! And finally just stop doing it. You have your Best of the Best and you know the worst of the worst! And two female Boxers, in the same home is "usually," The Worst of The Worst!

No matter how cute and innocent one's girl maybe ... as the saying goes ... "Don't make me angry ... you won't like me if I'm angry."

Now I'm sure it can be done ...two female Boxers in the same home?? And we do have some member's on here ... that do have multiple female Boxers, in the same home. But that is most definitely ... not the norm??

But hey I don't know maybe it's just a, Molosser thing?? Two Female, Cane Corso's in the same home might prove interesting?? :)

Ah well ... but GSD's, the days of Roy Roger's Bullet, Rin Tin and Lobo the littlest Hobby are long gone?? But that's another story. :)

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
It wasn't that necessarily. It was more the research on female/female aggression that I was unaware of and found out about after both dogs were exhibiting some concerning behavior. Luckily, I am getting pics and videos of her daily and she is sooo happy. She is not exhibiting these signs with the male boxer in the home. He loves her too. It worked out for the best and I should have done the research before hand. Once she is settled and comfortable in her new home we are going to visit her. We don't want to confuse her but we get to stay in her life and that makes us happy.
LOL, well as I said you did Good! And while no doubt ... this was not the plan, it seems to have worked out quite well! :)

And yep, it does sound like she was definitely a perfectly normally Boxer pup, she may have been the best fit in your household?? The odd's weren't really in your favor and only the "Best of the Best," Breeder's would have give you a "Head's Up!" And they would have said ... uh you need to get a Boy. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts