Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. You have all been so helpful with my questions...thanks!! :) Here's another one for ya...

How many of you brush your dogs teeth? I've read that if you start young the pup will get used to it, so it so you will be able to continue to do so throughout the dogs life. I talked to the vet about it and he said that he just gives his dogs "real bones" for about 1/2 hr (supervised) and that cleans their teeth well.  I think I would rather try the brushing first...I bought little finger brushes for now, because apparently they are easier to use when the puppy is small. What I was wondering though, is there a recommended doggy toothpaste that I should use?

Also, how do I introduce this so that she feels that its fun for her?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I brush every other day.  I get toothpaste either from my vet or Petsmart.   I switch flavors depending on what is available.  They LOVE the chicken and beef flavor but it gets a little tough to get to the teeth with all of the tongue action going on.

Dixie is 6 1/2 and I have brushed her teeth since she was a puppy.  I started as you are doing with the finger brush and graduated to the tooth brush and then to the battery operated brush.   Now I start with the tooth brush and then give her teeth and gums a good once over with the battery operated tooth brush.  Her teeth are in great condition and she has never had bad breath.  Every time she goes for her check ups the vet compliments me on the condition of her teeth.

Champ is a rescue that I adopted a year ago.  We think he is 2 1/2 to 3 yrs old.  He obviously never had the experience of having his teeth brushed until he came to me.  He was very resistant at first but I let him watch me brush Dixie's teeth for a couple of weeks.  Then started to introduce the tooth brush.  The chicken flavored tooth paste really helped.  I started off real slow until he would accept the tooth brush.  Then introduced the battery operated tooth brush gradually also.

Now they are both so funny.  When I say "who wants their teeth brushed"  they get in line to go first.   :lol:

No way I can brush the cats teeth.  She would slash me to pieces.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I rarely ever brush their teeth. Giving them kibble or harder toys to chew on usually cleans their teeth pretty good.

We did brush Macy's teeth when she was little because we wanted to get her used to us touching her mouth and looking inside. Now I just brush their teeth when it seems like they have breath so bad it'll knock someone out.

We just got the pet toothpaste at the local pet store. We got them some type of flavor and they like it. I would brush Sadie's teeth just so that she gets used to you looking at her mouth and touching it.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I don't brush them either. I just give her raw bones, that seems to do the trick.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I brush Toby's.. I will start brushing Mia's when her puppy teeth fall out..

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I brush Lilly's teeth once a week and she also gets stuff to chew on in between brushings to help out.  Lilly had never had her teeth brushed when I got her (they just gave her bones and such to keep them clean), so I had a bit of work cut out for me when I got her.  When I brush her teeth I sing to her (just like when I'm trimming her nails).  She'll just lay out and pass out.  It's actually pretty funnay cuz I end up having to manhandle my dog to brush the teeth on the side shes been sleeping on...lol!!!

So, anyways!!!  When you first start, you can try singing to your pup (sounds stupid I know but your dog isn't gonna care).  It helps them to relax and is soothing.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments! I went to Pets Unlimited (big pet store chain in Canada) today with all intentions of picking some toothpaste up but they only had one kind and it said it contained fluoride, so I was a bit hesitant. (I think I read somewhere that it was not good for dogs)...so I held off on it, I might pic some up at the vet. Does anyone know if fluoride is okay for dogs?

Lillyzmomma- thanks for the singing idea! I will try that.

Flutterby-May be a silly question, but when do their puppy teeth fall out?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Most dog toothpaste has chlorhexidine or stannous fluoride, which is okay for dogs.  The amount of flouride in human toothpaste is to high for them. You can use a "dog toothbrush" or a soft bristle children's brush works great too.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Usually anywhere from 4-7 months.. Mia lost 2 front teeth a few weeks ago but hasn't lost any since and she'll be 4 months Thursday... I can't wait for these puppy teeth to go!! They hurt!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Sadiesmomma\";p=\"22696 said:
Flutterby-May be a silly question, but when do their puppy teeth fall out?
Generally by the 6th month the baby teeth are out and the adult teeth are in. It is a process from 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 months.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sharonL\";p=\"22704 said:
Most dog toothpaste has chlorhexidine or stannous fluoride, which is okay for dogs.  The amount of flouride in human toothpaste is to high for them.
That was what I read, about human toothpaste having too much fluoride.

Flutterby-Thanks for that, wow I sure have a lot to learn! I probably would have started brushing right away otherwise  :lol:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Hey....I understand that.  I dont brush Fiona's as often as I should.  I have a hard enough time with my 5 year old skin kid  :D

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Flutterby\";p=\"22706 said:
Usually anywhere from 4-7 months.. Mia lost 2 front teeth a few weeks ago but hasn't lost any since and she'll be 4 months Thursday... I can't wait for these puppy teeth to go!! They hurt!
I agree Kenya....i cannot wait for these puppy teeth to go....i have 2 with those nasty little puppy teeth and it sucks!!!

·
Registered
948 Posts
[quote="Sadiesmomma\";p=\"22713":394lzv3o][quote="sharonL\";p=\"22704":394lzv3o]Most dog toothpaste has chlorhexidine or stannous fluoride, which is okay for dogs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts