Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thought I would share since I have 12 week old Duke on TOTW and was thinking of switching him to Orijen or Acana due to the negative things I have read about TOTW and his consistent loose stools.

A quick Google search reveals that this class action was dismissed for lack of evidence:

https://legalnewsline.com/stories/511765840-judge-evidence-lacking-in-class-action-alleging-orijen-dog-food-was-harmful-to-pets

I also had my first boxer on TOTW and he had intermittent issues with it. At the time, I had thought I'd researched and found a good food, but I think they may have been later purchased by Diamond.

It's tough to figure out dog foods these days and times have certainly changed since we fed my childhood golden retriever Alpo and table craps (she lived to be a very healthy 16).

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Yes times certainly have changed since I was a child. Our dog got ken-l-ration canned food everyday and I think purina dog chow, plus all the table scraps. He too lived a long time and back then I never heard of a dog going tot he vet, at least till I was in my early teens. Remember too with boxers if they overeat they usually get loose stool . I feed Victor dog food now. Its less expensive, seems to have good ingredient, it was convenient and even now ore so since I can have they deliver it to my doorstep. LOL When you find one that works you tend to stick with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Young Duke is certainly learning what Florida summers are all about, and as expected he is not a lover of the midday heat. We really only go out for a few minutes at a time midday, most of his puppy burning exercise has been coming first thing on the soft grass of the local park.

He doesn't seem to be getting sick on the TOTW, just some loose stools, so I'll let him finish out this bag and then transition him to one those mentioned above. Just thought I'd share the results of the class action since I've been reading up on Champion foods.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Thank you for the info. If I recall some of their foods were now being produced in the USA instead of Canada and I think back then a issue arose but I can't remember anymore. I personally think they are top of the line foods. If your going to switch you might want to while you still have an old food so you can transition him. you know the rule of thumb is 25% new to 75 old for week one then 50/50 and so forth. Yes its hot where I am too. MY boxer doesn't like the heat at all, he gets his exercise early morning/late evening. He will e 5 in Sept.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think I'm done with TOTW given how his body has reacted. He started out on Puppy Pedigree when I got him and seemed fine, but TOTW has given him loose stools and excessive eye gunk. After some reading, Duke and I have settled on him transitioning to a Canidae puppy formula. We went to the store and I let him do the sniff test and he preferred it to the Acana brand, so I'll transition him to that. He's still just shy of 13 weeks, and I'm thinking I'll rotate him through some of the Canidae and Acana formulas as he matures. One thing I've noticed is that they all use an awful lot of peas/lentils in their formulas in order to bump up the protein %...I don't think dogs don't really need to eat peas regularly so it would seem this is just a cheap way to increase the protein % on the side of the bag. This practice has even apparently been linked to taurine deficiency, which can cause heart issues.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Yes you are correct investigations are indications, though not proven that the legumes may have a link to taurine deficiency and dcm issues. I look for a food that the main protein % is meat. I don't mind some legumes but it she be a lower portion in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I do Acana Appalachian Ranch. Its 70% protein from meat and fish. I also add some raw things during the week. Haven't had any issues.

I would like the Acana Sport & Agility, think that's 75% protein from meat. Store by me doesn't carry it though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I do Acana Appalachian Ranch. Its 70% protein from meat and fish. I also add some raw things during the week. Haven't had any issues.

I would like the Acana Sport & Agility, think that's 75% protein from meat. Store by me doesn't carry it though.
Thanks Matt, I'll check it out for sure.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I use Royal Canin my dogs digest it well and it is NOT grain free, my Vets also recommend Purina Pro Plan products but my dogs always had loose stool on that.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I think both Purina pro and Royal Canin are good foods. Kai was brought up on Royal Canin and did well and the puppy formulas shape of the kibble was good for him. We switched him to Victor when he was 5 months old, as his vet and our trainer both recommended it as a adult food. They suggested he not be on puppy formula an didn't want him growing so fast. We are still on Victor and now use the purple bag, pro performance. It seems to agree with him better than the red bag. His stool is perfectly formed and solid, always. (we would have stayed with RC if it weren't so darn expensive).

·
Registered
443 Posts
Lindar51, Have you heard of any problems with Victor? I was reading a breeders website one day and she expressed there was some problem with it and she had some dogs dying. She claimed it may have been a food problem she had previously been touting how wonderful Victor was so I was curious about that. I have a friend who has Golden Retrievers and she says her dogs are doing very well with good stools. I am super sensitive now about dog food after losing two dogs in a row to DCM. I considered Victor once because it is not grain free but now I don't know. Royal Canin does cost a lot but the adult formula is not too bad its the puppy that costs so much. My Vet wants me to keep my 10month old male on that until he is 15mos. it would be so much more cost effective if I could feed both of them the same. I have a 1 almost 2 year old female.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I have not heard of any problems or recalls ever with Victor. The way I understand they have both grain free and multi grain, but none of their foods contain corn or soy. I had them on the high energy select for a long time but then changed to a grain free all life stage/puppy. My guys did well on that. I have now switched them to the hi-pro plus. Many of the poodle people & breeder are using the Purina pro sport and rave about it and their dogs with sensitivities are using the salmon based. Is your 10 month old still on puppy formula? Its funny how vets vary. My vet doesn't want pups to grow quickly he feels its better on their bone growth and bone plats, things I don't really understand, lol. but supposedly better for long term orthopedic conditions. I think mot of the foods are good but the ones I would stay away from would have the major protein source being legumes rather than meat.
https://dogfood.guide/victor/

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used Origen for my oldest dog (Zee, 5) several years ago when it was free range sourced and produced in Canada, and once they changed that to sourcing/production locations in the States, problems starting showing up. No surprise.

Made the rounds of various other “premium” brands and had settled on Purina One True Instinct High Protein. Had even started Thor, my first Boxer, on the Purina One large breed puppy.

When I took my middle dog (Blaze, 2.5 yr old Staffy mix) for annual checkup, I mentioned to her that his stool has never been quite right and always excessively soft. She at first said dogs sometimes pick up ailments in shelter they never get over. But then she suggested I try Hill’s Science Diet Sensitive Stomach. She went on to say Boxers are also known for sensitive stomachs too, so it’s something she said I could transition Thor to as well when the time comes.

After my supply of the Purina was running low, I bought the sensitive stomach kibble and started Blaze (and my oldest) on it, mixing new with old as directed. Within 4-5 days, he had stool that actually looked and felt like it should for the first time in 2 years we’ve had him. I should mention I go out with my dogs and immediately pick up after them - much easier when it’s time for yardwork and immediate feedback on dietary issues.

Needless to say all three dogs on the Hills and when Blaze is old enough, he’ll move from puppy to the Hill’s sensitive stomach as well. For the two older ones, I mix a little of the Hill’s Sensitive stomach canned stews to give them a bit of topper on their morning meal. They love it. In the evenings, they just get the kibble and they still gobble it up. Been about two months now and all is going great!

Best price I’ve found for it is at Chewy.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Yes boxers do seem to have sensitive stomachs and many don't tolerate chicken. I think the best we can do is switch (slowly transition), keep them on new food for a month or so if its not upsetting, and if we get good results, stick with it, or transition again till you find the right one. If the tradition isn't going well and is creating worse, I switch them back and try something else. Petsmart is very good about refunding unused portions of food. Once I get them on a agreeable food I then shop for best price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts