Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all...
So this is a question to anyone who may have encountered or owns a closely inbred dog not anyone who simply thinks inbreeding is gross. I want to start by saying I do NOT condone it, this was not my doing, and please save responses like it never should've happened or chastising the breeder. I'm well aware. So let me explain...

We put a deposit on a puppy that was still in utero - met mom and dad, both AKC registered (though I'm aware that means nothing healthwise, but they were health tested). Out-bred - anxiously awaiting puppy's arrival. Well... the litter was born 2 days ago and wouldn't you know it, all brindle :unsure: Mom & Dad are both fawn. So, what the breeder deduced happened, was she was taken to breed to the male, they brought her home, vet visits confirmed she was pregnant shortly after that heat, all was well - they assumed it took. Well, out popped the puppies 2 days ago and the breeder realized that the first breeding obviously DIDN'T take, and Mom must have mated with her in tact son who was in the house. (the source of the brindle). I know all about inbreeding COI and the risks involved but I have no personal experience with it.

So that long winded explanation to my question is... this was a one off inbreeding - mom was out bred to create the son who is now the baby daddy. We have been anxiously awaiting these puppies, everyone *seems healthy, and I know at 2 days old that means nothing. Is it extremely foolish to go through with the purchase? Does anyone have experience with this type of thing and has witnessed a healthy, happy dog grow up? Is it possible? I know you simply really double the chance that negative recessive alleles will be passed on but is there a possibility everything could be ok? We really want to take him home, and he still needs a home obviously but are we setting ourselves up for heartbreak 馃様I know it is a very close inbreeding. It is clearly not what we would have chosen but he's here now - it already happened. ANY help is appreciated.

Registered
It was my understanding fawn dog can throw bindle or white so are you sure?
Pretty sure brindle is dominant, so two fawns could never make brindle. Thats my understanding, but I'm certainly not an expert on this.

As far as the OP., I would say, I wouldn't pay any money to the breeder for the pup. If you do want the pup the chances are, just going by genetics, you will not have a healthy dog. I guess there is a always a chance you might have a healthy dog, but the odds are not in your favor. Personally no way I would take that chance and have to pay for a puppy and most likely a pretty hefty vet bill for the rest of the dogs life. If i was taking that risk, the pup better be free.

Registered
Flashy to Flashy will produce Whites, "legally," according to "Da Rulz's." I don't know about other comb's???

Registered
Me neither! I guess a breeder would have to comment here. I would be afraid to buy a puppy with a questionable genetic inheritance you could be in for a long painful road. But the puppy is here and someone will need to love it but maybe they should be giving the dogs away if you are willing to take the risk.

Super Moderator
Fawn x Fawn can only produce Fawns

So the puppies are not produced by the outside stud :( Technically the breeder will have to DNA test both parents and all puppies to confirm parentage. If the breeder refuses to do this then I would walk away from this pairing. For all you know another intact male at the stud owners home got her.
I鈥檓 not so concerned about the Mother/Son line breeding. Line breeding is very common in show lined dogs as it sets the type you are looking for. As long as the son is also thoroughly health tested this would be of little concern to me.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Fawn x Fawn can only produce Fawns

So the puppies are not produced by the outside stud :( Technically the breeder will have to DNA test both parents and all puppies to confirm parentage. If the breeder refuses to do this then I would walk away from this pairing. For all you know another intact male at the stud owners home got her.
I鈥檓 not so concerned about the Mother/Son line breeding. Line breeding is very common in show lined dogs as it sets the type you are looking for. As long as the son is also thoroughly health tested this would be of little concern to me.
Thank you for this response! Yes, it was the in tact son - he was the only other male with access to her, and he is a dark brindle. I think what happened was they got to each other BEFORE she was taken to breed to the outside stud, and that's why it didn't take. The breeder told us this outright the day the puppies were born he called us (not an easy call I'm sure). I also spoke to the owners of the stud she was supposed to be bred to who confirmed she had in fact been bred to him, but it didn't take.

The son has been health tested, as has mom. Puppy seems healthy, and he needs a home anyway - I know line breeding is done purposely, so I appreciate this reply in that, we're not GUARANTEED problems, though I know the risk is higher. Thanks for the feedback!

Registered
That's great you are going to give this puppy a good home, I hope it remains problem free I am glad this person was honest with you so you could make up your own mind about assuming the risk. I hope all goes well!

Registered
If KACO, is not overly concerned, I'd not be overly worried as the saying goes "sometimes crap happens!" :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts