Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Mickey ended up at the vet again :crutch:. A dissoluble suture (from his neutering ) didn't dissolve and it ended up causing him an infection. The vet went in and removed it and closed it up. During the discharge, he told me that Mickey shouldn't jump around that much for the next 3 days or so and gave me a sedative to mellow him. I looked at the bottle and its ACE! Warning lights started going on in my head. I told the vet that ACE and Boxers don't mix and in fact it could be fatal for boxers. He told me he hasn't heard anything like that before and that Mickey was given ACE during the neutering and he was fine! I really really really don't want to give him ACE to keep him 'Calm'. I might as well get him a 3 foot long bully stick. So what do you guys think? Am i paranoid?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I wouldn't give it to him, although the ACE mixed with the actual gas stuff they used is usually what causes the problems...There are other ways to keep him calm rather then drugging him. Drugs will only cause him to feel no pain so he won't really know when it "hurts"...

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
I would not use it !

Print this article out;
WARNING! Acepromazine | Do not use on boxers
Bring it to your vet. Watch your vet read it and then let them know you will not be using their services anymore because you do not appreciate them risking your dogs life even after you reguested they not use it.

Just because a dog didn't have a problem with it once doesn't mean it won't cause a problem (or fatality) in the future.

Then find a new vet.

I would have gone "postal" on them !

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I would change vets. When I got bella fixed I printed out the article and had them put it in her file. And they have it in red in her records not to give it to her. I wouldn't give those to your pups tho hun. See if you can get something else to keep her calm. They usually have something else...can't remember what it is tho.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I would also change vets...I was very specific about the use of ACE when Abby was spay and the first thing my vet said was "ooh no...we would never use ACE on a Boxer!" Your vet should listen to you just as your pediatrician would listen to you about a child...these puppies are our children!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Roxie has been under Ace three times and I had no Idea till I found out about ace. When I asked my vet she pretty much said they havent been able to prove that ace is the actual cause and that any drug can be risky. But I still think its better to be safe then sorry. And my vet listen and did what I requested.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am so thankful that nothing happened to Mickey last time when he was under ACE. I am changing vets, i have one last visit to make though. I want to take a printout of the article GypsieMouse posted and show it to the vet and give him a piece of my mind. I bought a 3 foot long bullystick for Mickey. Hopefully that will keep him busy. Any other tips are welcome as well!

·
Registered
670 Posts
you mean ACE of spades right as in you give ace and you will be using a spade... take it back and get a refund and tell the vet they are a moron with a capital M

1 - 11 of 11 Posts