Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I called my vet yesterday to ask what kind of anesthesia they use for when Harleigh gets spayed. I got a hold of the front desk person and she was like "uhhhh...what is that called?.....shoot I can't remember what's it's called but it's the really good stuff they use at Motts Childrens hospital"  8O

I was like "can you go find out for sure? Or is there someone else I can ask?" and she said "the nurses and docs are in surgery right now you can call back or stop up here later".

Honestly, I feel that question should be taken seriously because obviously there is a reason behind asking it. I didn't bring up the ACE because I wanted her to tell me for sure, not put ideas in her head for her to say "yah, thats the one". So I will be calling back again and hopefully get someone who actually cares to answer my question.

Anyways, if they use their anesthesia on children, it wouldn't be ACE right? Or am I wrong to assume that?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I am not sure about that one but someone will know.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Acepromazine or Acetylpromazine (More commonly known as ACP, Ace) is a phenothiazine derivative psychotropic drugs (kind of like xanax), to my knowledge this medicine is used very little in humans. Its more of an animal drug used for pre-sedative.

I am not shocked that the reception person did not know the answer to your question...I would call back though this afternoon so you can get your question answered though :)

Keep in mind that ACE is used as a pre-surgical relaxer and is not the actual anesthesia....So, you may get two answers like "we use Telezol and Isoflurine"....The first being the prep-med and the second being the actual anesthesia

·
Registered
880 Posts
The receptionist at my vet (a wonderful vet) didn't know the names of the med, I just waited and talked to the vet personally.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hmmm... my place said it was Penythol and Hythedol... I soooo think I'm off on the spelling. Afterwards I asked about ACE and they said they only use it on cats...? Is it okay for cats?

And WHY IS NIKKI more expensive then Odin. She's like 7lbs and Odin is like 70lbs AT LEAST! LOL

Alright... sorry not trying to hijack your thread!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Make a copy of the Sticky Topic regarding Ace, take it with you to the vet and have them put it in Harleigh's file, also on the front of her records have them write in LARGE letters  "NO ACE".....

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
[quote="samsonsmom\";p=\"93106":35msqiqn]Make a copy of the Sticky Topic regarding Ace, take it with you to the vet and have them put it in Harleigh's file, also on the front of her records have them write in LARGE letters

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Mastray\";p=\"93072 said:
Hmmm... my place said it was Penythol and Hythedol... I soooo think I'm off on the spelling. Afterwards I asked about ACE and they said they only use it on cats...? Is it okay for cats?

And WHY IS NIKKI more expensive then Odin. She's like 7lbs and Odin is like 70lbs AT LEAST! LOL

Alright... sorry not trying to hijack your thread!!
On the first thing...there are several sedatives available Pentothal is a very common one....Ace is safe for use in cats even though the label says "dogs only"  and the price is usually higher on the female surgery, because it is much more involved then the neuter on the boys....it is much easier to pop the little male jewels out then a complete hysterectomy on the female....

·
Registered
880 Posts
sharonL\";p=\"93134 said:
....it is much easier to pop the little male jewels out
It cracks me up the way you said it, Oscar's missing jewels are no big deal to him.  I was much more upset them him!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My vet said they don't use ACE anymore...it's an "Older" drug and few vets use it(their opinion) HOWEVER, the vet we went to in an emergency DID use ACE and DID NOT know it was a problem for Boxers!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I had a bright orange collar and lead made up for my dogs to wear when they go to the vet's.  It says in large black letters "NO ACE PROMAZINE" so no one can miss it. When you take them to emergency or a different vet or even a different vet at your office or an emergency situation where they might not check a file I want to be covered that no one makes that error.  In fact, when I took the one to my vet once one of the new vet techs asked that vet what that meant so they got an education about it which is good.  I took a dog to NCSU vet school, which is known for their cardio program, and the intern on duty gave my dog ACE for a ultrasound exam!  Can you believe that?  I will never go back there again if I can help it.  I don't trust anyone with just a mention on my chart as I have that at my regular vet and the vet at NCSU should have had a copy of my files.

Nano

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I like the collar and lead idea Nano, might have to do that, Thanks  :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts