Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something that your vet needs to be aware of. I have this copied and is on the front page of both of mine's records at the vet's office.....

WARNING!
Is your boxer having a surgical procedure or
needing to be tranquilized?
MUST READ!

Acepromazine  

There is one drug used in anesthetic protocols that should not be used on the Boxer. That drug is Acepromazine, a tranquilizer that is often used as a preanesthetic agent. In the Boxer, it tends to cause a problem called first degree heart block, a potentially serious arrhythmia of the heart. It also causes a profound hypotension (severe lowering of the blood pressure) in many Boxers that are given the drug. Recently on the Veterinary Information Network, a computer network for practicing veterinarians, an announcement was placed in the cardiology section entitled "Acepromazine and Boxers". This described several adverse reactions to the drug in a very short time span at a Veterinary Teaching Hospital. All the adverse reactions were in Boxers. The reactions included collapse, respiratory arrest, and profound bradycardia (slow heart rate, less than 60 beats per minute). The announcement suggested that acepromazine should not be used in dogs of the Boxer breed because of a breed related sensitivity to the drug.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Further warning from a boxer breeder and veterinarian:
This drug is the most commonly prescribed tranquilizer in veterinary medicine. It is also used orally and is prescribed for owners who want to tranquilize their dogs for air travel. I would strongly recommend that Boxer owners avoid the use of this drug, especially when the dog will be unattended and/or unable to receive emergency medical care if it is needed.

- Wendy Wallner, DVM December, 1995

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If your vet needs more than your word that you do NOT want your boxer treated with this drug, tell your vet to refer to their "Handbook of Veterinary Drugs". Every vet has one. Tell them to go to the section on ACEPROMAZINE. In this section (1993ed) They will find this information:
"Prolonged effects of the drug may be seen in older animals. Giant breeds, as well as greyhounds, appear quite sensitive to the clinical effects of the drug, yet terrier breeds appear more resistant. Boxer dogs, on the other hand, are predisposed to hypotensive and bradycardic effects of the drug."

When you first take your boxer to a vet (or to a new vet), for any kind of treatment have them write in red on the outside of the patient record "NO ACE". Be firm! If they refuse to do this then I would immediately remove my dog and find another vet.
Don't be fooled by an uninformed vet...this is a matter of LIFE AND DEATH!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I wanted to see if I could find more data about acepromazine.  I ended up at the Food & Drug Administration website, where they have a Center for Veterinary Medicine.  After some poking around, I found cumulative reports from 1987 to 2008 that show reported reactions animals have had to medications.  You can see them for yourself here... http://www.fda.gov/cvm/ade_cum.htm

If you pull up report A-C, and scroll down until you find acepromazine, you will see that 44 adverse reactions were reported in dogs who took the oral form of acepromazine.  Of these 44 dogs, these were the top three most common side effects in order from most common to least common...

1. Ineffect
2. DEATH
3. Prolonged sedation

A dog is more likely to have no benefit from the med at all, or die, than any other side effect.  And this is only the reported cases.  How many cases do you think were never reported, or could not be positively linked to the medication?

For the parenteral form of the medication, 56 dogs were reported to have reactions, in which the top four side effects are listed here from most common to least common...

1. Ineffect
2. Prolonged sedation
3. Convulsions
4. DEATH

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Thank you for all of this information.  As I am meeting with a new vet on Thursday, I will be sure to print it up and have it on the very top of Dude's file.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Wow John! :D
That is some really good information...good digging around! Thanks for sharing that with the rest of us.
Could we put all the information you found and the stuff that has already been posted on the forum into one document and create
our own warning?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Since we have so many new members I thought I would bump this up so everyone is aware of the dangers. Make sure to let your vets know and have it put in your boxers vet records. My vet has a red flag on the front of Kiah and Keegan records with No ACE in case of an emergency. Here is a another link I just posted:

http://jlhweb.net/BOSS/ace.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.