Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my dog Grace has been getting these pimples for about a year now some months were better than others but quite frankly they just won’t go away.

The only time it cleared up completely is when my vet gave her prednisone which is an antibiotic. Obviously she can’t be on that forever so we took her off it after 3 weeks use. She prescribed me Chlorhexidine and Ketacanozole (I think that’s how you spell it) wipes, shampoos, and Muricin to put on her face twice a day. While I see some improvement the pimples just seem to take forever to heal or something. The vet says it’s allergies but this stuff is driving me insane.
I have her on Farmers Dog right now. Recently I switched her to all Turkey since that’s what they suggested. She got this before when she was on that special Science Hills allergy dry food and Purina Pro Plan so I know it’s not the food. I haven’t been giving her any treats or anything and I’m just really sad for her because I feel like she can’t be a normal dog.

Reading through the forums I read to use stainless steel and porcelain. I use those “neater feeder bowls” which I believe are stainless steal but I’ll check again. Also I read here to wash the bowls after each meal so I’ll definitely start doing that. Also read to wipe face with a doggie wipe so I’ll do that as well.
I looked into those “oxy pads” everyone’s speaking about but which one do I get? The ones I see on Amazon are maximum strength 2% salicylic acid will that be too much?
Anything else I’m missing? I’m honestly desperate at this point I have spent so much money and still nothing.
Pimple pictures

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yeah, my guy had that same under the chin. Never really got it on the jowls like your girl. What I did notice was he got them while he was growing during the start of the spring for the 1st 2 years. I do clean his bowls, water and food after he uses them. I also wipe off his chin and face paying attention to the folds of skin around the eyes and under neath.

Once he hit about 2 he stopped getting them, I don't know if it was hormones or me paying extra attention to cleaning his face, but he hasn't really got any pimples since.

Some people use the medicated wipes, etc, I just use warm water and then a dry paper towel. You don't want any moisture in the folds of skin. Only reason I don't use the medicated ones, was I was worried about his eyes. With warm water I can just wash his hole face off without having to be too careful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Matt thanks for your input, yeah it’s been really frustrating but I’m going to keep washing the bowls and wiping her face and hoping it clears it up. Was wondering if anyone else had some input that could help since I’m pretty much exhausting all options.
Oh yeah and she’s about to turn 2 on the 17th actually so I’m praying it gets better soon and it’s just a hormonal thing. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Is she spayed?

Just an observation, but when talking to other boxer owners, people who had their boxers spayed/neutered at a young age didn't seem to have the pimple issue. Might just be anecdotal, but why I always thought it was a hormonal thing.

Extra cleaning can always help though. (y)

Good luck, maybe someone has some other tips.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is she spayed?

Just an observation, but when talking to other boxer owners, people who had their boxers spayed/neutered at a young age didn't seem to have the pimple issue. Might just be anecdotal, but why I always thought it was a hormonal thing.

Extra cleaning can always help though. (y)

Good luck, maybe someone has some other tips.
Thanks, yeah she’s spayed. Going to try benzoyl peroxide 2% and see if that works.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I think you are on the right track with cleaning the bowls regularly and wiping the muzzle area down. I usually use a warm wash cloth on my dogs and wipe all around their faces and wipe out their ear folds too. It could be your dog has a grass allergy does it get better in winter?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response, well I just moved here in November to Miami from California. She had it in Los Angeles though and she had it here when I got here. It could very well be a grass allergy who knows. :/
Definitely wiping her face down every time now in hopes it improves.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Wash the face and chin area with a chlorhexadine shampoo daily and keep the chin as dry as possible. Acne happens when the face stays wet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wash the face and chin area with a chlorhexadine shampoo daily and keep the chin as dry as possible. Acne happens when the face stays wet.
Thank you Kaco, I’m using the wipes instead of the shampoo it helps but doesn’t solve it. I’ve been wiping her face after eating and that seems to help. Any tips for allergies? She’s been getting what seems like small welts on her skin. Vet did a scraping of her skin and found yeast and bacterial. Vet says it’s did to allergies. I’ve been shampooing Her 3x a week and spraying her with Chlorhexidine twice daily.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My female dog has been dealing with alleriges she gets an injection for it once every three months. It seems to be helping her and she is not red and itching anymore. Talk to your Vet there are solutions to this problem I would be warry of bathing so much might dry her skin and coat out. I would think moving from California to Miami may have increased her exposure to allergens particularly mold my dogs have had reactions to mold before particularly in the fall when the leaves are in piles in the woods.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I was talking to the vet and it sounds like we might have to go that route. It’s either those injections or I pay $300 to test her for allergens and then give her specific allergy medicine that may or may not work... what a headache. Appreciate the info though! 🙏🏼

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello everyone, my dog Grace has been getting these pimples for about a year now some months were better than others but quite frankly they just won’t go away.

The only time it cleared up completely is when my vet gave her prednisone which is an antibiotic. Obviously she can’t be on that forever so we took her off it after 3 weeks use. She prescribed me Chlorhexidine and Ketacanozole (I think that’s how you spell it) wipes, shampoos, and Muricin to put on her face twice a day. While I see some improvement the pimples just seem to take forever to heal or something. The vet says it’s allergies but this stuff is driving me insane.
I have her on Farmers Dog right now. Recently I switched her to all Turkey since that’s what they suggested. She got this before when she was on that special Science Hills allergy dry food and Purina Pro Plan so I know it’s not the food. I haven’t been giving her any treats or anything and I’m just really sad for her because I feel like she can’t be a normal dog.

Reading through the forums I read to use stainless steel and porcelain. I use those “neater feeder bowls” which I believe are stainless steal but I’ll check again. Also I read here to wash the bowls after each meal so I’ll definitely start doing that. Also read to wipe face with a doggie wipe so I’ll do that as well.
I looked into those “oxy pads” everyone’s speaking about but which one do I get? The ones I see on Amazon are maximum strength 2% salicylic acid will that be too much?
Anything else I’m missing? I’m honestly desperate at this point I have spent so much money and still nothing.
Pimple pictures

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, my 2-yr old male Boxer gets those pimples too, sometimes they swell up. He even got a sty in his eye recently. What I used is a chamomile tea bag. I just brewed the tea and took the (cooled) bag and placed it on his eye, chin, wherever he has them. It takes doing that 2 times or so per day, but in 2 days, you should see them start to shrink. I hope this helps.
60677973311__80EA2478-0C10-44D0-83F0-AF0217BA6865.jpeg

·
Registered
7 Posts
My female dog has been dealing with alleriges she gets an injection for it once every three months. It seems to be helping her and she is not red and itching anymore. Talk to your Vet there are solutions to this problem I would be warry of bathing so much might dry her skin and coat out. I would think moving from California to Miami may have increased her exposure to allergens particularly mold my dogs have had reactions to mold before particularly in the fall when the leaves are in piles in the woods.
Our boxer has allergies bad also, the vet gave her a shot about a year ago and it helped a lot was wondering if you remember what the shot was? Right now she on pills and that is getting really expensive.

·
Registered
512 Posts
My girl gets a cytopoint injection its relatively expensive its about 130 a shot but they usually last her about 3 months that usually gets her thru the worst of the pollen and mold seasons here. I think initially she got 2 shots and they were a month apart now she can last 3 months. I tried the apaquel on her but it caused some severe diarrhea for her. The cytopoint I think is comparable when you cost it out all of it is expensive! That cytopoint goes by poundage so my girl is 62lbs so if your dog is lighter it may not cost so much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts