Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!!,

New to the forum. I have a 5 year old boxer ( Kane) and we are attempting to add a 2nd (Gizzy) 2 year old male boxer rescue. They did well at the meet and greet at the shelter. Once we got them home, Kane attempted to mount Gizzy immediately to show his dominance. We seperated them and kept them seperated for the next day. At night, we took them to a neutral dog park and they ran around for about 7 minutes until Kane started with his erratic behavior. He didnt snap at Gizzy but he kept barking in his face and instigating with nose bumps. Not sure if it is aggresive, i think its more just that Kane wants to play but doesnt know how. He lacks social skills (my fault) because early on when i would take him to the parks he would behave like this and other dogs and their owners would get annoyed.

Gizzy is super mellow and non reactive. He pretty much ignored Kane for a couple minutes but then he clearly put kane in his place.

We got home and attempted to drop the leashes and Kane went right for the hump. Seperated them again.

Today we took them for a walk together, no issues. Got home dropped their leashes in the back yard, and they roamed around without issue till Gizzy started rolling around in the grass and Kane started with his sane ole behavior. Gizzy chased him off again. Btw, Gizzy is much bigger than Kane.

We will b taking Kane in for sociialization skills this week.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar to this with the dominant, more aggresive dog being put in its place (in its own domain i must add)? Is that healthy for the roles to be reversed? I will add that they both stopped when i got loud and stern. I didnt have to pull them apart or anything. Will an alpha ever accept being the submissive dog? Or will he continue to be aggressive? Is it possible for the more mellow non reactive boxer to actually be the alpha?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I'm not sure as I do not have experience however, I think in time they will get along. Maybe the more alpha will remain that way and the mild dog will just accept it. I think what your doing is good, give them time apart as they become accustomed to one another. I'm sure others here with multiples an chime in a nd give you advise.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I am guessing that both these boys are neutered? Sometimes neutering is not enough to quell that dominance urge and sometimes the dogs that are altered are some of the worst with this. It is from what you described a dominance thing and yes the dog that appears more passive could be the more dominate one. I would keep stepping in when you see one attempting to dominate the other and give correction they need to know YOU are the dominate one. Socialization classes are good too, it probably going to take them some time to get used to each other but if you don't intervene now I see a fight coming. Your original dog was alone with you for 5 years its not easy for him to change his habits just like that. I have heard of people on this site that have multiples of the same sex and maybe one of them will chime in here and offer some advice. I hope it works out for you and its great you rescued the dog. I have always kept two boxers opposite sex never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Nose bumping and barking in the face is a pretty common playing tactic with most boxers. I've seen it with most of the boxers I have come into contact with. My guy will do the nose bumping but doesn't bark. That is just playing and wouldn't really worry about that behavior.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
How long have you had the "new dog??" And nope ... the role reversal is not gonna work out in the long roll?? If "you," don't establish the rules of acceptable behaviour ... the dog's will. And they won't be writing angry letters to each other. :)

I would stop with the "Dog Parking," at least with Kane, for right now. Lots of reasons to stay out of "Dog Parks," but one of them is ... "that a dog gets, to run around out of control with a pack of dog's and he "learn's," that what you say ... does not matter?? That is what "they learn or reinforce," when they go and they you bring them home and expect to do something different???

A "Pro," would tell you ... "All issues start at home and how the owner lives with the dog, day in and day out." Rules,Structure and limitations. It sounds like both need "more of all three ??" It's not hard but it is time consuming ... starting with separate "Walk's and Training sessions."

But overall ... they don't sound "Bad," together just kinda unruly at the moment, Welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How long have you had the "new dog??" And nope ... the role reversal is not gonna work out in the long roll?? If "you," don't establish the rules of acceptable behaviour ... the dog's will. And they won't be writing angry letters to each other. :)

I would stop with the "Dog Parking," at least with Kane, for right now. Lots of reasons to stay out of "Dog Parks," but one of them is ... "that a dog gets, to run around out of control with a pack of dog's and he "learn's," that what you say ... does not matter?? That is what "they learn or reinforce," when they go and they you bring them home and expect to do something different???

A "Pro," would tell you ... "All issues start at home and how the owner lives with the dog, day in and day out." Rules,Structure and limitations. It sounds like both need "more of all three ??" It's not hard but it is time consuming ... starting with separate "Walk's and Training sessions."

But overall ... they don't sound "Bad," together just kinda unruly at the moment, Welcome aboard. :)
Thx for the feedback. Ive only had Gizzy for 2 days.

I don't take Kane to the dog park regularly. When I took them both this week, I waited untill the park was empty before entering.

Im not exactly sure if Kane is even the Alpha? His behavior seems more beta like. I know he is protecting his domain, but Gizzy would surely dominate if they ever got into a real fight. Does Alpha behavior such as mounting, aggresiveness, ect truly define which one is the alpha, if the non dominant dog can physically overpower the dominant dog at will? Is there a difference between alpha behavior and a dog just defending his domain? In other words, does domain= alpha?

Are you suggesting that we keep the dogs apart when walking them? When researching these issues, i found the advice to be the opposite.

Why do you suggest Gizzy needs more training? He hasnt given us any issues, whatsoever.

Do you have 2 male boxer currently or in the past?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Thx for the feedback. Ive only had Gizzy for 2 days.

I don't take Kane to the dog park regularly. When I took them both this week, I waited untill the park was empty before entering.

Im not exactly sure if Kane is even the Alpha? His behavior seems more beta like. I know he is protecting his domain, but Gizzy would surely dominate if they ever got into a real fight. Does Alpha behavior such as mounting, aggresiveness, ect truly define which one is the alpha, if the non dominant dog can physically overpower the dominant dog at will? Is there a difference between alpha behavior and a dog just defending his domain? In other words, does domain= alpha?

Are you suggesting that we keep the dogs apart when walking them? When researching these issues, i found the advice to be the opposite.

Why do you suggest Gizzy needs more training? He hasnt given us any issues, whatsoever.

Do you have 2 male boxer currently or in the past?
Honestly, imo. it sounds like pretty normal behavior for two boxers. Especially Kane, what you are seeing as him being annoying, he is trying to initiate play. If Gizzy doesn't want to he will let him know. The mounting by Kane is definitely a "this is my house and I was here before you". Its all pretty new for them, but really doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about. Kane does not sound aggressive at all, more like "holy cow I got someone to play with!" Its still early for them, so they have a little adjustment to do also and figure each other out. As long as there isn't any actual aggressive behavior I wouldn't keep them separated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx Matt. Im praying this works out. Both dogs are awesome and I would love for Kane to have a "road dog" at home and when we go camping. 🙂

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
OK ... I thought Gizzy, was the one, Bull Dozing Dog's in the Dog Park?? Did I get that wrong??? But you did say the "Dog Park," was clear when you went there?? That is a bit different and a darn good idea, I must say! :)

And if you have only had Gizzy, for "two day's???" Then see post 8 here and the first link, "I just got a rescue what do I do??" :

And my Avatar there ... that is "Rocky," Oversize Workingline GSD (my first) and a whole world away from Boxer's ... apparently??? A whole lot different then "Boxers/Bully Breed's," (my experience) I got "Schooled, Big Time!" But it worked out in the long run ... he turned out to be a fantastic dog, another story. :)

And the two week shutdown ... I would say for a "Boxer," it's mostly just a general guideline?? In general it just means give the dog two week's to settle into his new home. No training "right now" and you want to take him alone on walk's one on one with you, for at least two week's. And then you can take your other guy other out. You need to build a "bond of trust," with the new dog. And you can't do that if you walk both dog's at the same time?? Your current dog already know's "who you are??" The new dog not so much???

And he "walking both dog's together," is to help the dog's bond, which is good of course. But honestly that is far as that goes??? In the long run the walk's together with all three of you ... won't mean crap! I can almost guarantee, if there is "gonna be a blow up??" It "will be," in the home!

As for me "nope," never had two male Boxer's at the same time?? But I grew up with Molosser's, or combo's thereof ... these guy's.:

My first dog was Gunther (as an adult ) ) American Bandogge ie APBT/Bull Mastiff/Lab Cross (formerly dog aggressive) and then Boxer/Pit's and then Boxer's. And all my Boxer's were female. But the one thing they all had in common ... that I did not know at the time?? Was that Bully Breed's tend to be "Low Rank Drive Dog's??" And GSD's ... not so much??? WL GSD's are High Rank Drive Dog's?? If "you," don't have control of them?? Well they are gonna climb the social ladder in the Dog Pack ... (three dog's or more) as it were! If you have you done at least half way well (with a GSD) ... they won't go after you?? But any other Male Dog or you know human being, outside of his pack ... is fair game! Good times, good time's!

But you don't have those problems and I must say new dog and only a couple days in and already reaching out for help?? I have to say ... that is "pretty freaking head's up!" It took me months with my WL GSD before I realized ... I had a problem here?? And then it was sigh ... par for the course ... the "old my dog changed???" And that Happens all the time with GSD newbies ... still!

And the two week shut down?? Nothing is cast in stone?? Just read it and get the general idea and incorporate as much as you need. But the general ideal is simply to let the dog settle in to his new home for now. Keep the new guy ... out of his face. Boxer's are pretty "flexible," and you can get away with a lot of "crap," that I would not allow, if I ever get another WL GSD! Live and learn, I suppose??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK ... I thought Gizzy, was the one, Bull Dozing Dog's in the Dog Park?? Did I get that wrong??? But you did say the "Dog Park," was clear when you went there?? That is a bit different and a darn good idea, I must say! :)

And if you have only had Gizzy, for "two day's???" Then see post 8 here and the first link, "I just got a rescue what do I do??" :

And my Avatar there ... that is "Rocky," Oversize Workingline GSD (my first) and a whole world away from Boxer's ... apparently??? A whole lot different then "Boxers/Bully Breed's," (my experience) I got "Schooled, Big Time!" But it worked out in the long run ... he turned out to be a fantastic dog, another story. :)

And the two week shutdown ... I would say for a "Boxer," it's mostly just a general guideline?? In general it just means give the dog two week's to settle into his new home. No training "right now" and you want to take him alone on walk's one on one with you, for at least two week's. And then you can take your other guy other out. You need to build a "bond of trust," with the new dog. And you can't do that if you walk both dog's at the same time?? Your current dog already know's "who you are??" The new dog not so much???

And he "walking both dog's together," is to help the dog's bond, which is good of course. But honestly that is far as that goes??? In the long run the walk's together with all three of you ... won't mean crap! I can almost guarantee, if there is "gonna be a blow up??" It "will be," in the home!

As for me "nope," never had two male Boxer's at the same time?? But I grew up with Molosser's, or combo's thereof ... these guy's.:

My first dog was Gunther (as an adult ) ) American Bandogge ie APBT/Bull Mastiff/Lab Cross (formerly dog aggressive) and then Boxer/Pit's and then Boxer's. And all my Boxer's were female. But the one thing they all had in common ... that I did not know at the time?? Was that Bully Breed's tend to be "Low Rank Drive Dog's??" And GSD's ... not so much??? WL GSD's are High Rank Drive Dog's?? If "you," don't have control of them?? Well they are gonna climb the social ladder in the Dog Pack ... (three dog's or more) as it were! If you have you done at least half way well (with a GSD) ... they won't go after you?? But any other Male Dog or you know human being, outside of his pack ... is fair game! Good times, good time's!

But you don't have those problems and I must say new dog and only a couple days in and already reaching out for help?? I have to say ... that is "pretty freaking head's up!" It took me months with my WL GSD before I realized ... I had a problem here?? And then it was sigh ... par for the course ... the "old my dog changed???" And that Happens all the time with GSD newbies ... still!

And the two week shut down?? Nothing is cast in stone?? Just read it and get the general idea and incorporate as much as you need. But the general ideal is simply to let the dog settle in to his new home for now. Keep the new guy ... out of his face. Boxer's are pretty "flexible," and you can get away with a lot of "crap," that I would not allow, if I ever get another WL GSD! Live and learn, I suppose??
They actually did great today! Kane was salivating a lil bit (anxiety) but no aggression. Gizzy laid down any time theyvgot close.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
566 Posts
Gizzy is very cute! I hope it all works out you other dog is handsome as well I am pretty sure with work you will be able to get these boys to work out. I keep hoping it will for you.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
(White)- Gizzy
((Fawn)- Kane

Oh ... they are both handsome! But Gizzy reminds me of my girl Struddell (Avatar) I did not know we had another White Boxer onboard! :)
The new guy Kane ...strikes me as more Euro??? Or perhaps a Euro American cross?? Both handsome dog's in any case. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Any update?

i think you may be on right track. We have had 2 male boxers before without problems.

Three years ago we brought in a new boy, but a puppy. Our older boy, Flash, was 8 but they got along great. Flash has since passed and Kekoa now 3 1/2

Reactions: chip18

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
They actually did great today! Kane was salivating a lil bit (anxiety) but no aggression. Gizzy laid down any time theyvgot close.

I know this is a odd point to bring up. But ... those trash can's by the fence?? I'd move those! Gizzy never cared but you don't really know the new dog yet??

Those ash can's can serve as a spring broad, the new dog can easily bounce up there and from there he is up and over that fence! And at that point ... Gizzy say's "OH ... I never knew that was a way out?? I have no idea if the new guy would ever do that ... but why take chances?? Move the can's away from that wall ... just in case.:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts