Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like we are getting another boxer.  Here is a picture of her.

Her name is Maggie - we have a friend that needs someone to take care of her for about a year while he is between homes.  They have 7 dogs - 6 Daschunds and this boxer.  They have to sell their house and move into a rental - so we are getting the boxer .  She is 5 years old and is 40lbs.  

They are sending her from Denver CO to Orlando FL.  Our current boxer is a female that is about 1 1/2 years old - how should I introduce this new dog?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
honestly we had no issue with Reese and Savannah, that may be more to the fact though that Savannah had just had puppies and Reese was 12 wks when we got her so it was kinda like a mother bond that formed. The best thing i could say is make sure that someone is holding your boxer and someone is holding (i mean using leash and collar) the new boxer and let them sniff and feel each other out. That way either person can be quick to react should something happen. I havent ever had a problem introducing two dogs so i my response may not be too much help. Sheis a BEAUTIFUL girl though

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
what worked well for us and many others i know is when you first bring the dog to the house bring yours outside..let them meet on common ground outthere...yours 'should' sniff around etc and then after a little while run to your door like hey wanna see my house?

just depends on how yours is now..

Liz,Sharon? Jeanene? there are tons of people on here that can really help

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi!  We had no problems introducing our boy Boxer to our girl Boxer.  We kept a watchful eye over them for a while the 1st day.....but they took to each other right off the bat.  I wish you luck!  Having two had been a blast!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Hello and welcome! I have no tips for you on introducing the new addition. But I wanted to welcome you to the forum. Can't wait to see pics of all of your babies and hear about their adventures! Maggie is so adorable btw!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
i agree on the meeting on common ground. If your girl now gets a little territoryal (sp?) then meet outside or something where things will be calmer. keep us posted! when is she coming home?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Definitely try to do the first meetup on neutral ground, stay close and watch body language! Make sure that your boxer knows that she is still #1 by feeding her first, give her treats first, etc...Very important.....Are they both spayed? Sometimes 2 females, especially if not spayed can have issues, just keep a close eye on them both....

·
Registered
780 Posts
We have always tried to have them meet outside in the yard (if the weather is okay).  Even with the rescue we had of a different breed.  Our boxers are not aggressive but they do get very curious and excited with a new dog/puppy.  They usually DROOL ALOT and try to paw or nose the new dog.   Usually the new dog will get into the submissive position and let them sniff and things are okay.  It takes sometimes a few weeks or more for them to get comfortable with each other.  Since you are bringing in an older boxer with your younger one the older one may want to be the dominate one.  It will also help if your family keeps calm during the introduction but also make sure you watch for any signs of aggression from either of them.  Like others said too watch out for the feeding for awhile to see how they do.  I would find out as much as possible from the family you are getting the dog from how it acts with the other dogs in the family, food/toy aggressions, etc. That also should help.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both are spayed.  The new boxer is 5 years old and the one we have now is 1 1/2 years old.  I read that the "puppy" will generally submit to the adult dog.  Chloe does submit to every dog now - even my friends 4lb Yorkie - so I am not really worried about her as much as the new dog.  The new one lives in a house with 6 other dogs right now - so this will be a big change for her.

We are planning on bringing the Maggie and Chloe to a friend's house to introduce - since neither of them has been there more than onde.  Then we were going to bring them home together.  We were planning on crating Maggie when she gets here at least initially in order to make sure she doesn't start acting up.  Chloe is crated now when we aren't home and at night.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts