Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.:)

I’m a dog mom to a 3 year old female chihuahua, 8 month old female boxer and a new 9 week old male boxer.

Over the past three weeks, our normally submissive female boxer has started showing some fearful and what I think to be dominant behavior.

Our chihuahua has been the bossy one since we got our female boxer. She was kind of mean. She’d steal toys out of Daisy’s mouth, growl when Daisy came into the living room and would growl when Daisy got on the bed. Daisy would just ignore her.

Recently, Daisy has been standing over our chihuahua and she will hold her underneath her. I’m not sure how to explain it. The chihuahua is still standing but stuck under our boxer. Daisy will growl and our chihuahua freaks out. Daisy has also started doing this to our new puppy and to my dad’s chihuahua. We always run over to separate them. My fear is, what would happen if we weren’t there.

As far as fear goes, she’s afraid of everything. Nosies, boxes, new home decor. She reacts by barking. This is also kind of new behavior. It began about a month and a half ago.

We have Daisy in obedience training once a week and we had a behavioralist come out on Wednesday. He said it’s dominance but he hasn’t seen the behavior to it’s fullest extent.

We are doing something similar to NILF.

My questions are:

1. has anyone had experience with this and it turned out to be an adolescence phase?

2. How do you over come your own fear that your dogs will get in a true fight? I’ve been on such high alert and I’m so tired.

3.How do you know if you if your dog will go from standing over and growling to biting?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Please don't take offense to this, but sounds like the chihuahua was never really trained and has had the run of the house till the female boxer showed up. I might be wrong, but I see a lot of people who have small dogs don't train them. A lot of times its the smaller dog starting the problems and people will automatically correct the larger dog not realizing its the small dog causing the issues.

When the female boxer showed up and you say the chihuahua was basically a pain in the ass to Daisy, did you correct the chihuahua? Some of the personality coming out in Daisy could have been from that. She is becoming mature and realizes she doesn't have to take crap from the chihuahua and might want to change the dynamics of the pack. Also seems like it could be a combination of that and possibly weak nerves. With her being afraid of everything, she knows she can control the other dogs in the house. I know some people swear that dogs have a "fear phase" at certain months up to a year old. Personally don't believe it since I have never seen it in any of my dogs. Might want to talk to the trainer about some confidence building for her.

How is she with other dogs she doesn't know?

As far as if you are worried about her attacking the chihuahua, really the only way to know for sure is to keep them separated when not under your direct supervision.

Also welcome aboard.(y)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No offense taken at all. We never trained the chihuahua and she was, and continues to be, out of control. I think you’re right and we need to start working with Stella too.

Daisy is pretty shy with other dogs who are bigger than her but once she’s comfortable, she’s fine.
I think her “problem” is with small dogs.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yeah, I mean its great you guys are doing everything with Daisy getting her in training and having a behaviorist, but Stella might need some work too. lol

Also I know there can be issues with female boxer to female boxer aggression, not sure how that works with female boxer to a female of another breed. Hopefully some one here can chime in for you on that aspect.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I agree with Matt, I think your Boxer is fed up with the little chi so if I were you I would not leave them alone and unsupervised at all. I have had run ins out walking with my dogs (both boxers) with small dogs while I do everything to keep my dogs in check it seems people with smaller dogs just don't think there is harm in their behavior but a large dog would never be allowed to act this way. The chi you have probably has taught Daisy some of this behavior when they are puppies they absorb lessons like a sponge and some of those lesson come from other dogs whether good or bad. Female Boxers can have a dominate streak in them especially if they feel they are the Alpha over the other dogs in the house as well as the humans who fail to correct that idea. Don't allow the chi to take toys away from Daisy or take her food you need to step in and return that stuff to Daisy don't allow Daisy to "stand over" the chi correct her then by doing so you are showing her she is not the boss. I would supervise these dogs at all time the chi having a size disadvantage would be the loser in a dominance contest so I would limit these interactions Daisy hasn't even reached 2 yet so now it is the time!

·
Registered
703 Posts
When they get 2 they are at full maturity so unchecked dominance can be a problem. You can solve this problem so please don't give up on her. My dogs never fight because they know I AM THE BOSS that's what you need to establish in your house as well!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.:)

I’m a dog mom to a 3 year old female chihuahua, 8 month old female boxer and a new 9 week old male boxer.

Over the past three weeks, our normally submissive female boxer has started showing some fearful and what I think to be dominant behavior.

Our chihuahua has been the bossy one since we got our female boxer. She was kind of mean. She’d steal toys out of Daisy’s mouth, growl when Daisy came into the living room and would growl when Daisy got on the bed. Daisy would just ignore her.

Recently, Daisy has been standing over our chihuahua and she will hold her underneath her. I’m not sure how to explain it. The chihuahua is still standing but stuck under our boxer. Daisy will growl and our chihuahua freaks out. Daisy has also started doing this to our new puppy and to my dad’s chihuahua. We always run over to separate them. My fear is, what would happen if we weren’t there.

As far as fear goes, she’s afraid of everything. Nosies, boxes, new home decor. She reacts by barking. This is also kind of new behavior. It began about a month and a half ago.

We have Daisy in obedience training once a week and we had a behavioralist come out on Wednesday. He said it’s dominance but he hasn’t seen the behavior to it’s fullest extent.

We are doing something similar to NILF.

My questions are:

1. has anyone had experience with this and it turned out to be an adolescence phase?

2. How do you over come your own fear that your dogs will get in a true fight? I’ve been on such high alert and I’m so tired.

3.How do you know if you if your dog will go from standing over and growling to biting?
We have had two female boxers, not at the same time. Both were the smallest dogs in the pack, both have been trained and both were the pack leaders to our boxer boys. In my experience, the females are natural leaders and our males always let the female lead. That said, my females growl and act all bad but they have never started a fight with the others. I do agree with another comment. You have to let her know that YOU are the boss. Make it clear to her that her behavior is not to be tolerated by you and she should settle down. Also, keep in mind that boxers are late bloomers. They usually don’t mature until at least two years old. Good luck and enjoy your babies!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I would agree with above, but add your little boy is still trying to find his spot as well. You being the alpha to your 3 yo maybe a challenge.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe the Chi here is the catalyst for the behavior. Does the chi get picked up? Allowed on the couch? Sleeps in bed with you? A simple thing like height difference can mean the world to pack dynamics. Always make sure that chi is at the same level as the other dogs. You are the alpha and are the one on the couch, bed, etc. Don't pick them up as that gives the wrong signal to the other dogs. Boxers do the standing over and growl behavior so make sure to correct it immediately. When feeding, make sure they all eat at the same time, and let them see you and your family eat first. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the advice!

Question for BusterBrown, would you say that there is little risk for actual biting if boxers do stand over and growl?

I do carry the chihuahua all the time now because I’m scared she’ll get hurt

·
Registered
703 Posts
I am careful to treat my dogs exactly the same no preferential treatment that keeps both dogs in the same position in "our pack" dogs do recognize preferential treatment just like children do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts