Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the rules about rescuing across the border. I am in Canada, and we have been hoping to adopt a rescue, but the rescue's up here dont really see alot of boxers, and the one's who do will only adopt within a 50 mile or so radius of their shelter, so I was wondering if anyone could help guide me on the rules and processes of a US adoption and whether or not it would even be possible.
Thanks

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Check with your customs & Immigration office. I don't think there are any restricitions. You will possibly have to show proof of shots tho....Show people travel frequently back and forth, so it can't be that bad, otherwise they couldn't do it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will definately do that, thanks. Also, can any one point me in the direction of a boxer rescue or shelter in the area? I hate looking online cuz you never really know what you'll find. Im looking mainly in the Buffalo and Detroit area's, both of which im not too far from.

G

·
0 Posts
I know a lot of the boxer rescues in michigan will not adopt out of state...they like to do home visits...

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Same with WI, they will only adopt out to WI and the upper peninsula.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, im glad im finding this all out now before i go barking up the wrong tree. I'll keep searching, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
The best thing you can do is Google Boxer Rescues in the area you are interested in. A legit rescue must state they are a non profit org..Scroll thru their adoption policies and see what they say about home visits and such. From what I have learned, it seems that a lot of rescues really do like to the home visits, especially further east you go. In Calif, So Cal specifically, they don't, but each rescue is different...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
in the last month ive seen about 3 boxers in humane societies and shelters here in windsor but they go fast so i would say keep checking pet finder also. If the rescue is not clear on the web page about who they will adopt to then i would simply email the admin and explain the situation. The worst they can tell you is no they dont adopt international or out of state.

I know it's possible for dogs to come over to canada (Im Canadian also) to shelters because when Katrina happened my mom's local shelter took in a bunch of dogs and still does it all depends on the organization and what they are will to do. I checked into rescue but i live in an apt and dont have a fenced back yard which many require so I couldnt do it at the moment. Dogs can cross the border you just need their vet papers showing up to date on shots. If they are too young for rabies then it isnt required but if they are old enough to have a rabies shot proof of rabies must be shown and id say have the dog wear his tags. Good luck in your search.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts