Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fell in love with a 2 yr old Boxer that is heartworm positive. The rescue place said I can still adopt as long as I keep her activity level down. I don't have any experience with heartworms. Can anyone advise?
Is it okay to adopt her now? Should I let the foster home keep her until she's done? How long should it take to complete the treatment?
I guess I'm a bit nervous to take it on, not knowing what all it entails and we have a dog and two boys. Does this make a difference? When the worms, die, do they come out of the feces? Where do they go? I've read several articles online, but none mention that.
What are the long term complications if any for a dog that has been HW positive? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know what we're getting into ahead of time.
Thanks in advance to your response. I really don't want to pass this pup up!

Kelly

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I'm actually surprised that the rescue would release her while she is still getting treated..Most places won't. Samson was Heartworn positive when I adopted him and Tia was also. That seems pretty common in rescued animals. As for the long term effects, once your boxer has been treated and given a clean bill of health, there shouldn't be any problems down the road...Just continue to give her a monthly treatment. I use Heartguard and it's quite good..In the winter months, I treat every other month.

My recomendation would be to wait til the treatment is complete before bringing her home, as much as you would like to now, I would wait...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I would wait until her treatment is done also. If she is in a foster home now, I would keep her there until the treatment is done. I wouldn't want to add the stress of a move and a different environment.
I'm also surprised that they will adopt her out before her treatment has ended.

·
Registered
375 Posts
mom2boys
When I adopted our pitbull he was positive for heartworms. We had him treated which is two shots 24 hours apart. But recovery is 6-8 weeks. They are to be kept as quiet as possible with no excersise because they can have a heart attack. Then in 6 months they do another HW test to see if it worked. At least thats how my vet did it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its funny the different stories that you get but here is mine.

I adopted Brinn a month ago after finding out she had heartworms and she was treated 3 days before we got her.  She was given another oral medication 2 weeks after her original treatment.  I was told by the shelter that she did not have to be on any kind of restrictions and in a month to go back to my vet and get her checked for heart worms again.  This sounds so different than what I have heard on here that I am concerned and I will be taking her in this week to my vet.  They are a rather mild case of HW and maybe that will be in our favor.  

I didnt make her stay calm and I have 3 young children who love to run around the yard with her.  

I guess I will see what happens with her this week.  Please don't let this stop you from adopting either.  We love Brinn and she is the so grateful and loving.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback. Lots of different experiences to ponder! I get to meet her for the first time on Saturday. I will talk to the foster Mom and see what her feel is for how bad of a HW case it is, and her feelings on possibly keeping her until she finishes treatment.
I can't imagine waiting possibly 2 months for her! But what ever is best for her.
Thanks again for your advise and feedback!

Kelly

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your story sounds EXACTLY like mine.  I just fell in love with her picture and felt that she was our dog.  I found out before I met her that she had heartworms and if we would not have taken her I do think that she would have been put down because she was in a kill shelter.  

I did talk to my vet yesterday about her treatment (the shelter treated her) and he said that usually he treats the dog, then a month later follows up with a oral medicine (which is a stronger HW preventative) and then 5 months later does a HW test.  She does have to be on HW prevention after the last treatment.  

Keep us updated, when I was adopting Brinn everyone was so helpful and encouraging.  

Rachel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Saturday is THE Day!

Well, I called my vet and they said it would be best to keep her where she is at, if she's already started treatment. Otherwise, to let her come to our house, and after a week or two when she is settled, start treatment. We had our "interview" today with the rescue place and she hasn't started yet. I'm so glad! So we will meet her for the first time on Saturday. I hope all goes well with my boys and other dog Jake. He's really easy going so it should be fine. Wish us luck!
Thanks for all your input!
Kelly
Here's Jakie (I hope the attachment works)

Attachments

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
So, as she hasn't started treatment, are you considering bringing her home? Here's hoping your "meet" goes well on Sat and will be keeping those fingers and paws crossed for you....

Your Jake is a lovely looking guy...And it's obvious he loves his footbal..Lol....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, if all goes well, we will bring her home on Saturday. Then once she's relaxed a bit (a week or two later) we'll start treatment. My vet and the rescue were both on the same page as far as that goes, so I feel more comfortable with it.
She sounds like an easy going dog and Jake is an easy going dog. So it should all be fine. But I'm still a bit anxious because I want her so bad. I can't wait!
I'll post pics soon!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Jake is a handsome fellow! He would go nice with a boxer sister. I hope your meeting goes well, and that you get to bring her home. She must not have too bad a case of heartworms, so that is a great thing. Let us know how it goes.  :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts