Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member who lost our boy three months ago. I  have to get some pictures on, he was something.  I'm in Southeastern WI, and am researching breeders for a new pup.  Green Acres Boxer Rescue gave me a few names, and I'm in contact with a woman at the Milwaukee Boxer Club.  One breeder here has imported a line from Germany that are used mostly for police work.  Having had one with tremendous prey drive and guard instincts I'm a little concerned about getting one from this line.  I'm looking for a red-fawn which I'm told comes from a background of brindle dogs.  Mine also had very light eye color (brownish red) which I was also told might indicate other genetic problems.  He had come from a private breeder who bred her dog twice.

This can't be that difficult, but I'm a little overwhelmed.  I also don't know where to search for Boxer breeders in the area who have shown dogs.  Can you ask for a three-year health guarantee?  I think there's a moderator on the site (Kiah?) who may know the scoop in WI.  She is beautiful by the way, in case you grow tired of her.  Thanks for any advice.

Ann - Racine

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would start with your local Boxer club if you are looking into a pup...In the breeding section there are some great Sticky topics about finding a good breeder, if you haven't yet, I'd read those....Also rescue is a great for an older Boxer, generally puppies don't end up there..As far as the light colored eyes, I do believe that is considered a flaw. I know someone that has a gorgous Boxer boy and he has those light eyes, lovely but it's not the breed standard...Health guarantees by a good breeder are lifetime, at least mine is, but that only covers genetic problems..Generally it's one year...

·
Registered
893 Posts
My breeder has had her dogs tested as far back as three generations, but even then it is no guaruntee of good health. you need to ask a lot of questions, ask for references. I got references from my breeders vet and also one of the judges from the IABCA Dog Show, along with past owners. I was not fortunate enough to meet the sire and dam as I lived to far away, but if you have the oportunity to meet them and the breeder, do so. Ask about breeding practices, as a good breeder does not breed often, mine waits at least 2 years. Do they keep in touch with their puppies. Some breeders once money is exchanged for a puppy, will never keep in contact. A good breeder will also be able to answer any questions you may ask about the breed, they should be knowledgeable in all aspets, health, temperment, nutrition,training,ect. Watch their interaction with their own dogs.  These breeders breed for the betterment of the breed, they breed for quality not quantity. Also make sure their puppies are living in the house with them and not in a cage or outside kennel. Just because they own a boxer that they show, does not neccessarily make them a good breeder. I encountered many breeders with show quality dogs, and their dogs were beautiful, from champion lines, but these weren't the dogs that they used for breeding purposes. They only wanted you to think they only breed show qualiy dogs. I am no expert, as my Ekim was purchased by my son from a pet store, but I did do quite a bit of research when I got Delila. Hope this was of some help.  

Luann

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, sounds like it will be a project but well worth it.  I'd love a Rescue, and check frequently.  One Breeder wanted money down, but could not guarantee color, or when the dogs would be bred next.  You also had to sign a guarantee that they'd get a copy of all vet visits that didn't involve ordinary check-ups or shots.  Probably a good thing.  I'll go back and look for posts regarding German lines, but I think someone said there are many great dogs coming out of the UK.  Mostly I want to avoid another dog with immune and GI problems, too hard to see a dog struggle with flares and have to eat some funky foods that smelled and looked like cardboard.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I have two boxer from German Lines. Hanna is completely driven because we work on her drive for canine sport.  Kash is sooo laid back, and suck a love bug.  So yes some are bred for their drive, and others make great pet pups.  

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
To find a rep breeder in the states here is a good site to start -

http://www.pro-boxers.com/am_breeders.html

****Please remember that just because they are listed while about 75% of them are great, health testing breeders there can be some that are not so best to go to Newcastle's site www.newcastleboxers.com  and find questions to aks breeders.  

Also on the front page of Pro Boxers they do list upcoming litters and puppies available which is another good start to researching some breeders and lines

http://www.pro-boxers.com/

·
Registered
28 Posts
I found Bonzer from a breeder in Gordon WI.  I know that is a huge hike from Southern WI but we have been very happy!!  He has been very healthy and has a great personality!  I can get you her name and number if you are interested in learning more!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The largest breeder I could find that has a German line is Boxers von Bachbett in Mindoro, WI.  I did send a message PM to Hanna's owner, and I'll look into what's in Gordon.  I actually stopped somebody walking their dog yesterday, a wonderful 2-year old, and she said he was from an Adelaide Kennel near Milwaukee.  I should have gotten a number since I can't find any listing.  I've been thinking six months was a good waiting period after our loss, but am getting very anxious to have a "clown" around here.  Thanks again -

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I sent you over a PM to a friend that has a Von Bachbett dog as well as they are one of her best friends.   She is very active in agility, tracking, obedience and all aspects of canine sport.   She has helped me a great deal with my traning of Hanna and a real mentor when it comes to boxers!  

She is in WI and hope she is able to help you esp with that kennel:)  Good Luck!!!!!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update to Hanna B's Mom.  Your contact was very helpful, and I received a call from George at Von Bachbett Kennels through her efforts.  Puppy hungry, I've taken in a rescue pup to foster.  Strange having a little guy with a tail, and not a Boxer dog.  Cute none the less.  Also helpful to remember what puppies are like before I get mine.  I forgot how busy they are.

Ann WI

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Health test, health test, health test and then get a good reputable breeder that has been in it for a few years and knows their dogs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts